Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts
Default Wrap

Anyone have experience living with a color-wrapped car? May be the wrong forum, since this is for the wifey's odyssey (will be close to mexico blue) ....but if it goes well I might think about the aerobeetle. Looking for durability, difficulty to clean, etc.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 07-04-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Anyone have experience living with a wrapped car?
I have a "half-wrap" on my (white) GT3 and it's the best investment I think I've ever made... The areas that they didn't cover (and I now would for sure) are the rocker panels all along from the front to the rear and expand the stone-guard area. Also, I now have some chips right above the windshield and would certainly cover that area next time. Lastly, the spoiler on the last third (upward slope) gets hit pretty hard, too. The 3M has lasted me over 2 years and prevented the front of the car to be a mess... I just use a good carnauba wax to get rid of the tire marks, no hassle. It hasn't discolored at all but I don't have the car in the sun a lot either except on track-days.
PS: I just bought my wife an X-1 and I wrapped the front, side, splash and trunk area myself with precut Xpel. Not too difficult once you get the hang of it (try a non-cut part for practice on your hood).
In summary, if (IF) I bought another high-end car like a GT3 I probably would wrap the whole car. For the C7 Z51 I'm considering, I'll probably do it myself.. Hope this helps, Horst.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone have experience living with a color-wrapped car? May be the wrong forum, since this is for the wifey's odyssey (will be close to mexico blue) ....but if it goes well I might think about the aerobeetle. Looking for durability, difficulty to clean, etc.
Sorry I misread the "color-wrapped" part... My bad...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Totally agree with the clear-bra wrap/protection - critical for track junkies.
To be specific, I'm asking about the colored wraps, you may see folks with flat colors..those are usually wraps.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

My car is wrapped in glossy white. It's durable and super easy to clean. No need to wax it. You just wash with soap and water and dry with a towel. It does get dirty easier in the back from road soot because of static with the vinyl.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 770 Posts

I double thick wrapped my first RS flat white, I have some pics in my signature.
Within a year it was completely discolored from track heat.

Works fine for protection, when I re wrapped the car in clear bra we took the Vinyl off and thecar was completely virgin underneath.
It may work if you go with a really dark color, but IMHO it does not last long.
It did work great as a white board on Mancation though..
Attached Images      
Old 07-05-2013, 05:56 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

matte black is about all worth doing. I have seen a 993 done in a rivera blue however i would worry about track heat for colored wraps..
Old 07-05-2013, 05:58 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
My car is wrapped in glossy white. It's durable and super easy to clean. No need to wax it. You just wash with soap and water and dry with a towel. It does get dirty easier in the back from road soot because of static with the vinyl.
Any pictures of this and who did the wrap?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Any pictures of this and who did the wrap?
Yeah. I did the wrap myself.

Last edited by Tracky; 07-05-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,409 Likes on 2,516 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=130056
Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mooty!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I double thick wrapped my first RS flat white, I have some pics in my signature.
Within a year it was completely discolored from track heat.

Works fine for protection, when I re wrapped the car in clear bra we took the Vinyl off and thecar was completely virgin underneath.
It may work if you go with a really dark color, but IMHO it does not last long.
It did work great as a white board on Mancation though..
That's hilarious

Yeah. I did the wrap myself.
Interesting, you are a patient man....
Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
matte black is about all worth doing. I have seen a 993 done in a rivera blue however i would worry about track heat for colored wraps..

Coincidentally I have been thinking of of wrapping my 993 (Turbo) in Riviera Blue for awhile now. I don't track it so heat would not be a problem. Where did u see the 993 wrapped in Rivi Blue? Who did the work? Did it look good? Any other thoughts on it? Sorry for all the questions but would love to more on the whole process
Old 07-06-2013, 01:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Damage...you did the wrap yourself? WOW looks awesome...you have talent! IS this your 1st time or have you done others?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Damage...you did the wrap yourself? WOW looks awesome...you have talent! IS this your 1st time or have you done others?
Yeah myself. First time. I played with DiNoc CF wrap before on small stuff so I knew how vinyl works. Took my time. I screwed up a few spots, but if I did it again, I probably could do it in half the time and without mistakes since I know what to avoid and best ways to do things now. This car is NOT easy to do with all of its compound curves.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah myself. First time. I played with DiNoc CF wrap before on small stuff so I knew how vinyl works. Took my time. I screwed up a few spots, but if I did it again, I probably could do it in half the time and without mistakes since I know what to avoid and best ways to do things now. This car is NOT easy to do with all of its compound curves.
Came out very good. How much would you charge to do it? Been thinking about wrapping my gt silver to the .2 Rs gray.

Quick Reply: Wrap