Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

what do you think these brakes are worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think these brakes are worth?

obviously quite used...

380mm steels, 8 pot front, 4 pot rears

thinking maybe the rotors need changing?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't opinion on pricing, but rotors are not bad, just some heat cracks. Can't see any wear grooves, but would be ideal to measure them, to verify specs. Heating wise, most likely OK.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

I would look at similar used Brembo kits for pricing since it appears to be Brembo hats and calipers rebadged with RUF.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not familiar with those calipers, but the first thing I would do is make sure those front pads are still produced. Like wheels you can no longer buy tires for, that would make them worthless.

A quick search shows that the current RUF 8 piston calipers use two pads, not four: http://www.rufonlinestore.com/Produc...R97-300-351-00
Old 07-01-2013, 01:49 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- can you get pads?
- can you get a caliper rebuild kit (seals, pistons)
- if no, I wouldn't personally wouldn't touch it at any price but for the right buyer who may want a backup set, if they were rebuilt and clean I think they would be sellable

- something looks slightly broken on the front caliper (one of the 4 pad locating metal tips looks damaged)

- if the rotor hat offset is stock spec, then the rotors could be used by any 380mm GT car

- as someone who actually buys used brake parts (ceramic rotors), used brakes, even in good condition, don't get the price you think they would get
- i personally would not install those callipers on a car that I would drive at track speeds unless they were taken apart and rebuilt - unless I with 100% certainty knew the use of them during their entire history - and even then I would do the rebuild anyways, clean them up and then install
- those rotors are fine and I would have no issue using them at all

- price, if the calipers were rebuilt and completely clean, pads and replacement rotors were available, then i think you could get $1000-$1200 for the 4 callipers
- you might be able to get a little more if you find the right RUF buyer if the calipers were spotless and rebuilt - especially if they track their car and want an identical set as backup - maybe then $1500

- I also think you want to do the homework for the buyer on replacement rotors to make sure they are available with new mounting hardware for those hats
- also checking to see if they would fit on a 997mk1 with ceramics or an mk2 car would be very helpful and potentially increase there appeal substantially
Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
hesperus
Racer

hey guys, thanks for the comments.

sorry, just to clarify why i'm even asking.

these are my brakes which i've just taken off the car. they were what came with the car (Ruf RT12) back in late '06. these are the second set of rotors and maybe 3rd set of pads? can't remember now.

the brakes work fine, i took them off as i've just upgraded them. i'll ask the guys at Pfaffenhausen if replacement rotors, pads, seals etc are still available, though i'd be surprised if they weren't!

i was gonna put the brakes in a box and stick them in storage, but i thought if i knew what they were worth, i'd try to sell them over here (i live in the Philippines) for whatever is fair.

i had a friend who was thinking of them for his 991 Carrera S, but Ruf told me the fronts would fit, but not the rears.

thanks again!

Quick Reply: what do you think these brakes are worth?