Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on this GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts
Default Thoughts on this GT3

I think I know the answer, but sometimes need a bit of help.

What do you think of the following 2010 GT3:
- a bit over 16,000 miles
- dynamic engine mounts, sound pkg, cornering lights, adaptive sport seats
- only aftermarket addition is a GMG exhaust
- atlas grey / black full leather
- 2 prior owners
Price is a bit under $90k.

Here's my only concern - there is an accident report on the Carfax. Apparently a parking lot fender bender with about $5k in repairs performed. That includes a new wheel. No issues since. Only a couple track days, car looks great other than a few tiny paint chips. I'll have a DME scan the first of the week.

Assuming the DME scan shows no issues, how bad do you think the Carfax report will affect the car in the future? The price seems reasonable, so I doubt I'd lose much more than any other similar car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Under 90k is a bargain for a .2. It's also a good excuse to pile the miles on without worrying about resale. In three years, you'll still be able to sell it for $60k with over 50k miles on it. At high mileage, accident history becomes a moot point.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 323 Posts

I always recommend caution when it comes to cars with accidents on their records. Certainly not from the point of view of being able to enjoy the car in good mechanical and cosmetic shape, but only from the point of view of resale. Whereas the car sounds like a good value today at the price you mentioned, this could hold you back from finding the right buyer should you need to sell it in the future.

Most of us don't buy cars like this to re-sell them, but given the choice of two cars priced within $5k of each other and one wasn't accident damaged and repaired, it would be harder for me to justify the car that was CarFax title branded. There are plenty of people out there who simply won't consider buying a car that was known to be involved in an accident, regardless of the value.

So, just a counterpoint to consider. I hope you find a great GT3 to buy (even if it's not this car). Best wishes!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Does owner have photos of accident damage? That goes a long way to minimizing risk.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Does owner have photos of accident damage? That goes a long way to minimizing risk.
Unfortunately no. It was the first owner who had the accident. 2nd owner had no issues.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Atlas911TT
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I not a fan of accidents on file. You will never know exactly what the issue was.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

If no frame damage price is right it wouldn't be an issue for me. Just disclose it and what was done. Mike
Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it'll make the car hard to sell down the road. Personally, I'd spend a little more and get one without any negative history.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I always recommend caution when it comes to cars with accidents on their records. Certainly not from the point of view of being able to enjoy the car in good mechanical and cosmetic shape, but only from the point of view of resale. Whereas the car sounds like a good value today at the price you mentioned, this could hold you back from finding the right buyer should you need to sell it in the future.

Most of us don't buy cars like this to re-sell them, but given the choice of two cars priced within $5k of each other and one wasn't accident damaged and repaired, it would be harder for me to justify the car that was CarFax title branded. There are plenty of people out there who simply won't consider buying a car that was known to be involved in an accident, regardless of the value.

So, just a counterpoint to consider. I hope you find a great GT3 to buy (even if it's not this car). Best wishes!
I say go for it, here is the thing, lets say you wait out and pay more for a GT3 that doesn't have an accident, you drive it for a bit and then someone smacks into the back of you. Now you are in the same shape as before but paid more money. Granted there are plenty arguments against my point but its one way to look at it. I hope no porsche gets wrecked but it happens.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 225 Posts

No easy answer. I can tell you accident =minus 15% to a dealer and at the auction. So if that car accident free normally retails for $101-$105 figure wholesale is lower to mid $90's. With an accident wholesale drops to low $80's. I think if you can get the car in middle $80's it's a bargain and upper $80's it's priced fair.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it but I flip my cars quickly so I wouldn't benefit from the keep it long and rack up miles approach which is a valid argument.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
No easy answer. I can tell you accident =minus 15% to a dealer and at the auction. So if that car accident free normally retails for $101-$105 figure wholesale is lower to mid $90's. With an accident wholesale drops to low $80's. I think if you can get the car in middle $80's it's a bargain and upper $80's it's priced fair.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it but I flip my cars quickly so I wouldn't benefit from the keep it long and rack up miles approach which is a valid argument.
I do agree with this logic.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this GT3