Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2011 rs cam actuator - warning signs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Ducati5150
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2011 rs cam actuator - warning signs

Intake recall work completed yesterday, on the drive back from the dealer heard a suspicious noise from the right side of the engine, wondering if it might be the cam actuator. No change in engine performance. For those that experienced this problem, what, if any, were the warning signs prior to engine damage, and how much time (mileage) passed from first symptom to end result? Car is back in the shop now - open to ideas & suggestions how best to proactively fix this before something breaks. Many thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

If/when the actuator fails its screws will grind against the cam cover. Often it's the right hand side (looking from back of car facing front) intake actuator (i.e. top one) that goes first. Telltale sign will be circular scratch marks on the inside of said cover. But that bit may not be accessible without dropping engine...

Part 14 of the following (understand there's a left-right flip but you get the idea), courtesy of AutoAtlanta:

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Ducati5150
Rennlist Member

Thank you CRex. Is it safe to assume once the screws have backed out, there is no mistaking the nature of the problem? I've heard the sound twice in 40 miles. Took the tech for a 10 mile test drive and could not replicate it. Appreciate the diagram.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Yes, it'll be self evident. The more they grind the more fine metal particulates are released into the oil circulation. And with that, horror...
Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Ducati5150
Rennlist Member

One last clarifying question to help troubleshoot the issue. With this type of component failure, is it possible for the symptom (in my case, a loud ticking/clacking noise on deceleration) to sporadically appear? It would seem that once the screws back out - the problem is unmistakable. Thanks again for your insight!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can record the sound might help...
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducati5150
One last clarifying question to help troubleshoot the issue. With this type of component failure, is it possible for the symptom (in my case, a loud ticking/clacking noise on deceleration) to sporadically appear? It would seem that once the screws back out - the problem is unmistakable. Thanks again for your insight!
No. You either have it (screws popped out) or don't. It doesn't alleviate on its own.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, so what the heck is going on here? Is this another .2 GT3 issue?

Friend with a 11 RS brings car to dealership for intake recall. The next week, at the Glen, car shuts down with lots of noise (no warning I think). Even the engine lid "locked" itself at some point, with no way to open it up.

Towed to dealership, and this is what they found:
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Wow, BOTH actuators popping out eh. That's worse that most I've seen. Any reason to suspect engine abuse? (not that it's needed--these things often come out on their own but PAG insists that overrevs are the "main" culprit)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust

Friend with a 11 RS brings car to dealership for intake recall. The next week, at the Glen, car shuts down with lots of noise (no warning I think). Even the engine lid "locked" itself at some point, with no way to open it up.

Wow!!! Question on the pic the top head has rounded head screws that seems not flush when screwed in fully then the bottom head shows 2 screws that are flat and looks flush if screwed in and the other screws on same head are rounded. Is there a reason for that or just those flat head screws look flat with photo. Mike
Old 06-27-2013, 07:56 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Sorry looks like 3 flathead screws and 2 rounded ones on bottom head. Mike
Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust

Is it normal that some of the screws are button head and some are counter sunk? Seems odd to me, like someone was in there before and ran out of bolts!

I still believe this is part of the low speed harmonic that PMNA acknowledged for cars with lightweight flywheels (all RS's). We'll find out with my 4.2 and the harmonic balancer we're installing on it!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the left bank exhaust actuator go when the car was approx. 8 months old

3 others in Australia at the time that I am aware of 1 was an RS. Mine was the first

The telltales for mine was a slight rattle on startup twice over approx. 5 days. The first I wasn't sure I actually heard anything.,

The second happened upon starting to go out for some warm up laps - Porsche techs were at the track and heard it and came over.

upon shut down there was another rattle and the check engine light came on

Car put on flat bed to Porsche and much deliberation between Porsche Oz and Germany while they sorted what the problem was and what the solution would be.

Since then no issue - I believe the screw sizes and/or torque settings were changed

fwiw, the RS owner had engine grenade on him at track - Porsche replaced the engine under warranty
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

While my car is in for a grenaded PP and the engine out, I asked PCNA to replace the actuators (which is all they can do, they won't torque the bolts, loctite etc). They are covering replacing all 4. I hope the new ones hold up.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
Is it normal that some of the screws are button head and some are counter sunk? Seems odd to me, like someone was in there before and ran out of bolts!
I can't figure that out either, but you can see that the flanges are countersunk to accept the conical shape

Quick Reply: 2011 rs cam actuator - warning signs