Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

iPhone Harry's lap timer question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought I sensed a troll.

After another weekend playing with HLT and my OBD II reader at the track, I've come to the conclusion that the throttle position and gear change information it provides is fairly useless, at least without some hacking. It's always delayed and just gets completely lost from time to time. It's pretty funny hearing my engine screaming under full load in the video and seeing the throttle position indicator barely registering any input.

If I had it to do over again, external GPS absolutely yes, OBD II reader definitely not.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Good info. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom

After another weekend playing with HLT and my OBD II reader at the track, I've come to the conclusion that the throttle position and gear change information it provides is fairly useless, at least without some hacking. It's always delayed and just gets completely lost from time to time. It's pretty funny hearing my engine screaming under full load in the video and seeing the throttle position indicator barely registering any input.

If I had it to do over again, external GPS absolutely yes, OBD II reader definitely not.
That's me!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

The problem may very well be the bluetooth connection so you may want to try the wired version. BTW, I use the same three gadget set-up. Dave
Old 06-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by dasams
The problem may very well be the bluetooth connection so you may want to try the wired version. BTW, I use the same three gadget set-up. Dave
Thanks, but I'm actually using the Kiwi wi-fi version not the GoPoint bluetooth version.

What OBD II device are you using?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 AM
HRMinHawaii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Dual GPS on the velcro wrap mounted on the roll cage under the rear window. The GoPoint bluetooth OBDII. I use a USB source in the lighter to keep the phone and OBD plugged in the whole time. RAM mount on the windshield.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Paver, here's some video I got at the track this weekend to give you an idea of the results you'd get with a similar set-up.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Cogito, That's good quality for the $ invested. What mount are you using/where is it mounted? Do you have any hope for getting the OBD info to work faster and get in sync?
It's gonna take some trial and error with my rollbar mount to frame the vid right but I think it'll eventually give decent results.
I got the Dual up and running. Had to go to their website to update the firmware so that it has the higher update rate. It's only 1 Hz out of the box. Harry says it's capable of 5Hz, but mine is steady at 4 Hz with the update.
Going to Barber this w/e to try it all out. My first time with laptimer...now I'll really know how slow I am
Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by paver
Cogito, That's good quality for the $ invested. What mount are you using/where is it mounted? Do you have any hope for getting the OBD info to work faster and get in sync?
It's gonna take some trial and error with my rollbar mount to frame the vid right but I think it'll eventually give decent results.
I got the Dual up and running. Had to go to their website to update the firmware so that it has the higher update rate. It's only 1 Hz out of the box. Harry says it's capable of 5Hz, but mine is steady at 4 Hz with the update.
Going to Barber this w/e to try it all out. My first time with laptimer...now I'll really know how slow I am
Absolutely, you can't beat the bang for the buck.

The basic SW/HW is HLT Petrolhead Edition v17.0.6 running on a iPhone 5.

Mount is a RAM mount which is a great piece of kit and as long as you have it tightened and secured properly with clean surfaces on both sides it will not come off. I've got it mounted on the rear window slightly offset to the passenger side at the very top. It will take a little trial and error to get it level and at the right viewing angle. You should have even more options I'm assuming with the rollbar to get it just right.

GPS is the Dual XGPS 150 with the firmware update. Once you pair the two it's pretty much set it and forget it. The iPhone and HLT will find it every time it's switched on and in range. I just place it in its rubber base and put it on the back shelf behind the rear seats so it has a clear view to the sky and there's no risk of it coming off the dash and distracting me at the wrong moment. I'm only getting 4Hz consistently, too, but the performance is still really good. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I'm also using the Kiwi PLX wifi OBD II reader. As you can see from the video, you will get mixed results from this at best. I'm hoping I can eventually get better results by playing with the settings, but I haven't had time to read through the HLT forum to see if there are any hacks that will make it better.

Good luck and post some video from Barber when you're back next week!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Well I got some pretty good video with my new setup. I am having trouble logging on to youtube. Forgot my password and it wants to send a recovery code to a phone I don't have anymore....grrrrr.
Anyway, the results are good. The only problems are when I wind the car up to high rpm's there is some vibration. I'll try to put a rubber strip between the roll bar and the hose clamp that holds the mount. Also, I think there was a problem with the Dual usb adapter making connection with the 12V power point I had it plugged into. I didn't know it had no power and I guess the batt was dead. So, one session had no external gps. In general, it's just a bit of a pain to video from the back portion of the car because it's so hard to get the iPhone in the cradle back there. The exposure was good though and the field of view showed my hands. I was satisfied, it's just harder to do than mounting it on the windshield where you could easily be sure video has been selected and you could check to be sure the Dual is running.

Can anybody tell me how to merge video of laps back together after I have overlayed the data on them?
When I overlay, the video is broken into one lap at a time. The raw video is one of the whole session.

edit:Finally got logged on to my youtube acct.

Last edited by paver; 06-18-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:01 AM
pvdw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run HLT with racelogic vbox gps (20hz), battery last about 6hours drive time so if you power down between sessions it works great.
Just order the BT1 obd to go with it.
Main problem I'm having is memory insufficient on the iPhone and even iCloud
Thinking of using an older iPhone exclusively for HLT and laptiming and using my new iPhone for synced additional camera rear view
Old 06-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by paver
Well I got some pretty good video with my new setup. I am having trouble logging on to youtube. Forgot my password and it wants to send a recovery code to a phone I don't have anymore....grrrrr.
Anyway, the results are good. The only problems are when I wind the car up to high rpm's there is some vibration. I'll try to put a rubber strip between the roll bar and the hose clamp that holds the mount. Also, I think there was a problem with the Dual usb adapter making connection with the 12V power point I had it plugged into. I didn't know it had no power and I guess the batt was dead. So, one session had no external gps. In general, it's just a bit of a pain to video from the back portion of the car because it's so hard to get the iPhone in the cradle back there. The exposure was good though and the field of view showed my hands. I was satisfied, it's just harder to do than mounting it on the windshield where you could easily be sure video has been selected and you could check to be sure the Dual is running.

Can anybody tell me how to merge video of laps back together after I have overlayed the data on them?
When I overlay, the video is broken into one lap at a time. The raw video is one of the whole session.

edit:Finally got logged on to my youtube acct.
Nice job on the track.

Yeah, it's a definite trade off and a PITA to get it set up and going with it stuck in the back. It's definitely easier to position and operate with it planted under the windshield, but that POV is boring IMHO and just looks slow. Not to mention you lose the ability to critique yourself when you're actually reviewing the data and footage post-session.

Unfortunately you can't get HLT to overlay data over an entire session. I think this is a technical limitation of HLT and the way it uses memory to buffer the data. I've thought about using a video editor to string the individual laps together in one file but I haven't tried that yet. Maybe I'll take a shot at it this weekend and post the results. You can however export the raw video to a file though...but no data.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Nice job on the track.

Yeah, it's a definite trade off and a PITA to get it set up and going with it stuck in the back. It's definitely easier to position and operate with it planted under the windshield, but that POV is boring IMHO and just looks slow. Not to mention you lose the ability to critique yourself when you're actually reviewing the data and footage post-session.

Unfortunately you can't get HLT to overlay data over an entire session. I think this is a technical limitation of HLT and the way it uses memory to buffer the data. I've thought about using a video editor to string the individual laps together in one file but I haven't tried that yet. Maybe I'll take a shot at it this weekend and post the results. You can however export the raw video to a file though...but no data.
Thanks. It was my first time to use r-comps....holy cow what a different world!
I agree with the windshield mount POV being boring. It's nice to know what I'm doing with the steering.
LMK if you get the video editor working on putting overlayed laps together.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a Dual GPS. Never did find tape that would stick to the dash and hold it down. Tape backing on Velcro would not stick either. May be due to all the cleaning and shinny stuff I use on the dash. Anyway, I place the Dual GPS in the front vent recess in the front bumper just in front of the hood crest. Tucks in there nicely. I use a thin tie wrap and thread it through the mesh. End of day I just reach under the Dual with wire cutters and snip the tie wrap to remove.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
I have a Dual GPS. Never did find tape that would stick to the dash and hold it down. Tape backing on Velcro would not stick either. May be due to all the cleaning and shinny stuff I use on the dash. Anyway, I place the Dual GPS in the front vent recess in the front bumper just in front of the hood crest. Tucks in there nicely. I use a thin tie wrap and thread it through the mesh. End of day I just reach under the Dual with wire cutters and snip the tie wrap to remove.
We use the iPass system to pay tolls electronically here in Chicago (similar to the EZ Pass system on the East Coast). I had a couple of extra velcro things for that in my car, so I attached them to the back of the Dual GPS box and stuck in the window where the iPass would go. It worked fine.

One thing I noted about using the native iPhone GPS system is that it would frequently "miss" the start finish line (usually at least once a session) and so record two laps as one. This was really annoying, especially when you are on track to set a new best time, and it gets lost.

Anywhere, here is a video from ABCC with the OBDII sensor. Like someone said above, the throttle bar seems to go to zero a lot even though I'm clearly at full throttle. Feel free to mock my lines. I've only done two days at this track, and I don't really have a good feel for the line. You can that I'm nowhere near the limit on lateral acceleration in most corners. Also, I know the camera angle is a little off, but you can get a sense of the iPhone image stabilization. You can see the hood moving up and down, which really means the camera is moving up and down, but the video is relatively stable.

Quick Reply: iPhone Harry's lap timer question