Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche world roadshow (slightly OT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Porsche world roadshow (slightly OT)

Just came back from Toronto's 2013 Porsche world roadshow and it was a blast. Thanks Porsche for the invite.

Got to track the entire current Porsche lineups at the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, which is an excellent track. All cars are PDK. Too bad there is no GT3.

Since there is track driving and PDK involved, I thought you guys may be interested:

1. PDK cars are fast and easy to track, there is no question about this. I drove them in full automatic mode, paddles mode and the thumb shifting buttons mode.
Without a doubt, the full auto mode in Sport plus will be the fastest. The computer shifting is very fast and no manual or paddle shifting can beat that. The boring factor will be there after some lappings, but this is totally subjective. I definitely prefer a manual car for tracking myself.
There is no differences in performance between paddle or button mode, and I don't like either of them. More than a few times I have to look at the gauge to check what gear I am in. That means taking my eyes off the track and this is not good. In manual car I always know what gear I'm in. Maybe I need more time with PDK on track, but with pressing something to change gears, there is no way for me to keep up with what gear I'm still in.

2. Cayennes and Panameras in the right form can make good track cars. I am very impressed.
In particular, I found the Cayenne GTS without PDCC a better track performer than the Cayenne turbo S with PDCC. I cannot explain this. Maybe because it is a normally aspirated car, or maybe Porsche has done something different for GTS suspension.
This means I do not think PDCC has done anything to me in enhancing track performance. The Cayenne GTS is the best in the Cayenne lineup to buy.
Cayenne S hybrid is deficient in straight line acceleration.

3. Panamera GTS, despite very similar to 4S in spec and pricing, is better to track than the 4S. Also, the instructor driving a Panamera 4 in V6 engine was fast and very capable on the track.

4. Cayman S is a good track performer, whereas the base Cayman is seriously deficient in power.
Did a hot lap with race instructor driving a Cayman S and he showed me that the car is very capable. I can do nowhere close to what the instructor can do with the same car.
This confirms my belief that it is always the driver, not the car, that is important.

5. I won a small prize by getting third place in autocross slalom competition.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanx for the run down Tim, sounds like you had a great time!
Did you do the autocross in the Caymen?

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
This confirms my belief that it is always the driver, not the car, that is important.
Depends on how much difference there is in the cars though obviously
Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

everyone autocross in the same Boxster S.

a race driver in a Cayman S will be much faster than me in my RS...
Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
woshimihei
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got the invitation and checked the flight ticket was too expensive. Nice to know you had a great experience
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by woshimihei
got the invitation and checked the flight ticket was too expensive. Nice to know you had a great experience
what do you mean??

it is an all inclusive invite. Porsche paid for everything - flight, meals, hotel, transfer, everything. A truly first class experience.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:44 AM
woshimihei
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
what do you mean??

it is an all inclusive invite. Porsche paid for everything - flight, meals, hotel, transfer, everything. A truly first class experience.
paid for flight? I don't noticed that

Quick Reply: Porsche world roadshow (slightly OT)