Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

sport button not working >>

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Mport68
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if mine are working either as I hear no difference in exhaust tone with Sport mode on or off.
I did check each actuator and both move freely. I also noticed that they are extended while the engine is off and retract once the engine is started so obviously there is vacuum and they are free to rotate.

My question is what position should they move to by-pass exhaust? I assume the rod would be normally retracted (Sport off) and extend (Sport on) to by-pass. Can anyone confirm this is correct?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:17 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Sunset porsche sells the OEM actuator for 131.26
Best price I've found
Old 11-01-2014, 09:19 PM
ddaudi
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know if there is a way to control the vacuum with an electrical switch such that instead of "Sport" mode (no vacuum and mufflers bypassed) there would be a "Laguna Seca" mode (constant vacuum and no bypass at high RPM) to meet the 90 dB sound limit? I now have to wire them in the actuated position when I go to Laguna; would much rather just flip a switch.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:19 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by craigctodd
Anyone know if there is a way to control the vacuum with an electrical switch such that instead of "Sport" mode (no vacuum and mufflers bypassed) there would be a "Laguna Seca" mode (constant vacuum and no bypass at high RPM) to meet the 90 dB sound limit? I now have to wire them in the actuated position when I go to Laguna; would much rather just flip a switch.
Google milkymu languna its out there

90db no way 92 prob
Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you fixed.

Ever since I added the Sharky I can't really tell a diff between sport and non sport. Before it was notable. Now it's just loud either way.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:28 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
Glad you fixed. Ever since I added the Sharky I can't really tell a diff between sport and non sport. Before it was notable. Now it's just loud either way.
There is def a difference u can even notice at idle
Old 11-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
There is def a difference u can even notice at idle
Slight tho. With sw u notice at idle and high rpm. Prior to that it was totally different across all rev range.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:30 PM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
Slight tho. With sw u notice at idle and high rpm. Prior to that it was totally different across all rev range.
I can't really tell at idle and have never tried at high rpm. I was told this function was working when I picked up the car last year, but even then I couldn't tell the difference. Might be harder to tell in the 3.9 with SW exhaust?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:14 PM
GT3123
2nd Gear

I'm having the same problem.

Up until yesterday, my Sport button worked just fine. Pressed it, light came on, exhaust deepened, car roared past 3,000 RPM.

Last night when I went go for a drive, however, I pressed the Sport button but the exhaust note hardly changed. The light came on, but the exhaust note deepened only a fraction of what it normally does (the untrained ear would say the exhaust note was the same, but I can certainly hear a faint difference meaning this isn't an issue with a fuse or anything like that).

My mechanic said he hasn't heard of this happening, but he said that since I drive in the city a fair bit, there isn't much vacuum and I should go on the highway and hammer on the car a bit. Keep in mind, the days leading up to this "failure", even in the city PSE was working just fine.

So I hit the highway.

At full throttle, it sounds like everything is in working order. At half or quarter throttle to redline, however, it sounds like PSE is off.

I went through these threads and did the only trouble shooting I could (as someone without a lift, proper tools, or much mechanical knowledge... hey at least I'm honest).

The actuator rods go in and out just fine so I do not think the problem is with the actuators. I am inclined to think that there is a leak in the vacuum line. Is there a way to trouble shoot this? Also, if I unplug the electrical connector so that the flappers are open all the time, what conclusion can I draw if a) the exhaust note does change or b) the exhaust note does not change.

Not terribly worried but just a little annoyed. Car sounds like crap in normal mode (IMO).
Old 09-01-2017, 07:32 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

like mine, it is most likely *one* leaky or broken actuator. The mechanical arms on mine worked fine, but one of the actuators was leaking internally. I bought one and figured it couldn't be both. I replaced the side I thought it was and it's all better now.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Harmonster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to add a different experience. The button stopped working on my car and it turned out to be a bad solenoid (as opposed to the actuators).

Bought the solenoid here - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-pierburg...78906283a~pie/

Symptom: Quiet all the time regardless of sport button

Diagnosis:

1) Unplugged solenoid - no change
2) Unplugged actuators - loud
3) Checked for power at solenoid - 12v

So the actuators worked but the solenoid was applying vacuum regardless of sport button. Takes about 10 minutes to swap in a new guy. All better now.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Vfrealtor
Intermediate

Hello All,

My sport PSE button doesn't even light up when pressed. A bad fuse perhaps? Problem is, the little booklet located on the fuse panel cover is missing. Can anybody show me a picture of where the fuse would be? So I pulled out all the fuses and only a single 30amp fuse was blown, replaced it, hoping it was the PSE button and no luck. If I were to have a bad solenoid or actuator, wouldn't my PSE button light up anyways?
Old 09-14-2017, 05:02 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Got another one regarding the "sport" button.....

I've recently noticed that on my GT3 the exhaust valves do their thing when the psort button is pressed and activated at idle...say at a stop light....but then as I move the RPM range it seems to turn off on its own. But, then at idle the exhaust is louder.

Any ideas?

Also, when the engine is under full throttle do the exhaust valves open (bypass)?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:32 PM
Vfrealtor
Intermediate

Hello Hoyt,

Your relay is probably doing it's "cutoff" job between 35mph to 45mph. The previous owner of my 2004 C4s disabled the sport button and cut the relay. Now, it is always on during the whole RPM band. You can find this relay above your fuse panel, it is called "Abgasklappen" pop open the black cover and cut pin#1. Now when PSE button is depress, you will not experience the cutoff. I did not have a choice, I found my Pin was cut when I removed the relay. Don't think you want to go around cutting your GT3 electronics up.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:07 PM
ARZA50
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harmonster
Just to add a different experience. The button stopped working on my car and it turned out to be a bad solenoid (as opposed to the actuators).

Bought the solenoid here - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-pierburg...78906283a~pie/

Symptom: Quiet all the time regardless of sport button

Diagnosis:

1) Unplugged solenoid - no change
2) Unplugged actuators - loud
3) Checked for power at solenoid - 12v

So the actuators worked but the solenoid was applying vacuum regardless of sport button. Takes about 10 minutes to swap in a new guy. All better now.
whats the location of the solenoid on the 997.1?
also on the same chassis how do i spot the actuators?

thanks in advance

Quick Reply: sport button not working >>