Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Hi Dan,

These were my hot pressures:

Fr: 40
R: 42

After a lot of reading i'm convinced that this is way off

Thanks

Originally Posted by dan212
Ran PS2's in dry and wet. They will go up in pressure more than MPSC's and the like. Never felt greasy when I kept the HOT pressures on target. They can go up as much as 12 pounds if you drive them hard. Were your hot pressures on target?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
Hi Dan,

Thanks
Yup.
Don't have enough experience to know what is the right high PSI hot but I would guess 34-36 max. Explains why you cooked them.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I had to run them on my 18" track wheels for an event that required treadwear over 140.

I must say i do not like them coming from sport cups.
I actually lost two tires off the rim! (they do not like low pressure and stiff shocks)

I have 2 sets of them if anybody wants them for street
Old 05-26-2013, 12:30 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Seems that the MPSS tyres are way better than the PS2's and almost as good in the dry as the MPSC.

Going to order a set and see how they feel. I can only compare with the PS2's as I never drove the GT3 with mpsc's.

What are the sizes to get for a SB MK1 997 GT3?
Alignment the same as for the MPSC's?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:14 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I run PS2s at 34/36psi or 36/38psi hot, depending on how they feel. They do heat up a lot, don't be surprised if you see a 12psi rise from cold.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:09 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes thats way over. Your cold "door sticker" pressures are a good guide for a target - for hot...

On the street, you'll never really get them hot. But on the track tires get so hot they are painful to touch. You will really need to take them down because they will get very hot - especially with the extra tread found on a street tire. That means that you cannot start at your "target" door-jam pressures.

On my 996/GT3 I think I tried to run a hot target of 34-38 or something like that. And that is what I ran HOT. I think 997's wanted slightly higher pressures in the rear so check.

Most street tires including PS2's will go up about 12 pounds. You have to take some air out before your first session. Say about 4-6 pounds - minimum. Drive, get them hot and bleed to target (which is what is listed). By the time you are dialed in, you might find that you've taken about 12 pounds out. If you don't bleed them out and start with street pressures you will run way over pressure you can even hit 50 pounds and blow out.

At the end of the day, you need to put air back in. Impossible to get it right. Depending on your source, put a 5-7 count of air back in to get home. Check them in the morning.

PS2's are perfectly usable on the track. They are NOT track tires and its silly to compare them. There is no all purpose tire. MPSC's are great. Crisper turn in, better braking, and softer compound. I can use them in the rain on the track unless its chucking down. But not on the street.

Hi Dan,

Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Hi Dan,

The door sticker states Front 29psi and rear 30psi but that is for the stndard tyres the car is delivered (MPSC)

I'm for sure putting the PS2's on the original wheels for rainy and cold days and buy another set of tyres for the BBS E88 wheels for track and summer.

Hearing a lot of different advice here so still hesitating what to buy.

Seems that the MPSS gets very good critics but some are saying that the tyre is not as good as the MPSC.
There is only 300$ price difference between them so that is not really a factor.

What is your opinion?

Thanks

Originally Posted by dan212
Yes thats way over. Your cold "door sticker" pressures are a good guide for a target - for hot...

On the street, you'll never really get them hot. But on the track tires get so hot they are painful to touch. You will really need to take them down because they will get very hot - especially with the extra tread found on a street tire. That means that you cannot start at your "target" door-jam pressures.

On my 996/GT3 I think I tried to run a hot target of 34-38 or something like that. And that is what I ran HOT. I think 997's wanted slightly higher pressures in the rear so check.

Most street tires including PS2's will go up about 12 pounds. You have to take some air out before your first session. Say about 4-6 pounds - minimum. Drive, get them hot and bleed to target (which is what is listed). By the time you are dialed in, you might find that you've taken about 12 pounds out. If you don't bleed them out and start with street pressures you will run way over pressure you can even hit 50 pounds and blow out.

At the end of the day, you need to put air back in. Impossible to get it right. Depending on your source, put a 5-7 count of air back in to get home. Check them in the morning.

PS2's are perfectly usable on the track. They are NOT track tires and its silly to compare them. There is no all purpose tire. MPSC's are great. Crisper turn in, better braking, and softer compound. I can use them in the rain on the track unless its chucking down. But not on the street.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

delanobe is right. I think the 997's were delivered with a FORM OF MPSC's. They were not the same compound as you could buy at Tire Rack. And the sticker for MPSC's is not the same as for PS2's. 36/38 or 35-38 will be about right. for PS2's. You can check the door sticker of a C2 or C2S which does come with PS2's as a guide.

40+ is high. And 8-12 pounds increase at the track is typical for street tires. Your cold pressures are your target at the track.

TrackCar is also dead right. Get any street tire up to a zillion degrees and they will heat cycle like a track tire - never mind how the tread looks. Not as quickly because the compound is harder and the chemical change different, but they cycle..

I started on PS2's. Rear tires looked fine. I insisted on changing the rears after 25 days. When we compared new to old they were ice bricks. This does not mean you shouldn't run PS2's on the track. They just aren't magic heat cycle proof miracles.

I haven't run MPSS (the supersport) tires. I've heard that they are slightly better. They are still street tires. MPSC's are great. Drivable on the street to and from hotel. But not for use as a regular street tire: Too soft (wear) and not enough tread in heavy rain (although I was happy on the track with them).

I carried track tires like this:

Always be faster than your equipment. When I switched to MPSC's I loved them. Get the most out of your car. Don't make it faster.

Hi Dan,

The door sticker states Front 29psi and rear 30psi but that is for the stndard tyres the car is delivered (MPSC)

I'm for sure putting the PS2's on the original wheels for rainy and cold days and buy another set of tyres for the BBS E88 wheels for track and summer.

Hearing a lot of different advice here so still hesitating what to buy.

Seems that the MPSS gets very good critics but some are saying that the tyre is not as good as the MPSC.
There is only 300$ price difference between them so that is not really a factor.

What is your opinion?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

I "think" that I finally gathered all the info I needed.

Car: GT3 MK1 Clubsport with pccb

Wheels: BBS E88 19" 9J + 12J with MPSC 235/30 + 305/30
Standard wheels with PS2 same sizes

For the alignment I'm going for the below and add solid rear toe mounts:

Front bar (stock) one notch from full soft
Rear GT2 bar softest
Front camber = -2.3 deg
Front toe = 0
Rear camber -1.8 deg
Rear toe = .2 deg

Does this sound fine?

Thanks