Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 .2 Tires Slipping on Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 04:37 AM
almeena58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to have Trofeo R after my PS2 but with this issue it is really unpleasant, specially for daily driving I need to do wheel balance each month
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by almeena58
I am planning to have Trofeo R after my PS2 but with this issue it is really unpleasant, specially for daily driving I need to do wheel balance each month
On the track tires slipping on the rim happen if you mount them with the tradiontional tire soap.

Again I posted how to eliminate this....it's simple....

Rough up the bead of the rim where the tire grips the rim. I used extremely course Emory paper and a knurled file. Or have a race shop bead blast the rim. Also mount your tires dry or use Aquanet hair spray to mount.

Also tape your wheel weight down with silver A/C tape.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What brand hair spray, Revlon, Kerastase or Wella?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
Is this really not clear that opposite sides of the car will rotate the tire in different (cw or ccw) directions, so you saying since it rotates one way versus the other is of no consequence...also the tire will rotate in the same direction relative to the wheel if it slips due to acceleration or braking. Think about accelerating first looking at passenger side rear wheel: the wheel is being turned by the axle clockwise, so if it slips the tire will move counterclockwise relative to the wheel. Think about braking: the tire is being deccelerated and the wheel is trying to spin clockwise within the tire, so the tire will move counterclockwise relative to the wheel. So you will not be able to tell the difference. That being said it is happening under braking...
I agree--with acceleration. BUT, braking should cause wheel to spin opposite that of braking --here's why: the caliper is slowing the wheel not the tire. Therefore, if there is slip, shouldn't the wheel move less than the tire that is gripping the ground? Thus the tire would move clockwise on the passenger rear with braking, while it moves counter-clockwise relative to the rim with acceleration. Opposite. To really make it clear--take it to the extreme: imagine the caliper locking the wheel at speed. The wheel now moves zero degrees--i.e. locked. But the tire is sticky, grabs the pavement, and want to keep rotating--moving clockwise relative to the wheel. Opposite that of slippage under acceleration.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911GT3
I agree--with acceleration. BUT, braking should cause wheel to spin opposite that of braking --here's why: the caliper is slowing the wheel not the tire. Therefore, if there is slip, shouldn't the wheel move less than the tire that is gripping the ground? Thus the tire would move clockwise on the passenger rear with braking, while it moves counter-clockwise relative to the rim with acceleration. Opposite. To really make it clear--take it to the extreme: imagine the caliper locking the wheel at speed. The wheel now moves zero degrees--i.e. locked. But the tire is sticky, grabs the pavement, and want to keep rotating--moving clockwise relative to the wheel. Opposite that of slippage under acceleration.
Of course the second sentence should read: " ... braking should cause the tire to spin opposite that of accelerating."
Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Of course the second sentence should read: " ... braking should cause the tire to spin opposite that of accelerating."
Yep, you are correct...I was drinking too much...

But if you can spin the tires relative to the wheels under acceleration then you have the strongest GT3 motor in the world.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
Yep, you are correct...I was drinking too much...

But if you can spin the tires relative to the wheels under acceleration then you have the strongest GT3 motor in the world.
Well of course I do -- and thank you for noticing !!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes- Aquanet extra hold hairspray. If you are at the track and they rotate best to remove all the weights. You can also balance unmounted wheels then balance with tires and mark. if they move you just move the weight. Ah - memories of my 930.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Definitely not Soul-Glow
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
You know what Kerastase is too?...LOL You must be married to a high end version female too.

Quick Reply: GT3 .2 Tires Slipping on Wheels