Ice Pedal... on Street

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm just pulling your leg.

The ice pedals threads are almost identical in context and usually end up with the same indefinite conclusions.
They also tend to fade with someone posting a link to the latest Bosch race ABS unit while another one points out that these are bloody street oriented ABS setups and having them perform with an all-in-one / maximum efficiency range is rather impossible.

Now, if you want to start a thread about something original, I'd recommend an oil viscosity debate thread or one about Danica's driving abilities.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ice Pedal… explanations?

So... "Ice Pedal" apparently occurred to me on the street last week with my 997.2 that ended in damage to my car. In an effort to better understand what _might_ have happened I came across this and other threads.

Rather than bringing up what theories exist (ranging from probable to simply a rant), I wanted to offer a link that Apex Performance has shared: ABS Strategies Seminar by Darrick Dong PFC Director of Motorsports.
Link: http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/pg_PerformanceFrictionBrakeSeminarABS.asp

While the video is quite long, many topics relating to "Ice Pedal" are covered in the video. Many of the prior discussions are also covered from front to rear proportion, ABS programming to actually reduce brake pressure, different types of pad material, driving style triggers. Despite some of the discussion reflecting back to data from Nissan, Porsche setup is brought up with very particular moments speaking of 997. Also spoke of in at least two parts of the video is an intro to the logic being used by the ABS unit, and later methods where drivers may inadvertently trigger such actions -- another individual who sounds like he would have been an instructor also speaks up regarding his experiences from a race car.

Briefly, my occurrence occurred on a city street where I was in first gear going slowly… A car decided to pull out of the parallel curb parking (same direction as I was driving) cut across the lanes of traffic to either make a U, or left turn. I immediately jumped on the brakes as the car came across at which point ABS kicked in and then let the car continue to roll -- still slowing, but NOT as much as it otherwise was or by my experiences could. This is actually my second encounter with "Ice Pedal." Despite most conversation relating to track occurrences, it can happen on the street, and without aggressive driving. Fortunately, in my incident no one was injured and only superficial damage occurred that includes a new bumper cover since it was fortunately a rather slow encounter.

Either track or street application, this video is worth watching if you wish to begin understanding what is occurring with modern ABS, and more broadly braking considerations.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
I immediately jumped on the brakes as the car came across at which point ABS kicked in and then let the car continue to roll -- still slowing, but NOT as much as it otherwise was or by my experiences could. This is actually my second encounter with "Ice Pedal."
If you feel the ABS working it's not ice mode. Ice mode is a rock hard pedal that will not move, you have to release and reapply pressure to get the car to stop. I can replicate this at will in 1 turn at a local track here that has a ton of safe forward runoff, so i got to experience the condition (forced it) a lot last time I was out there to learn / instinct what to do when it happens.

Quick Reply: Ice Pedal... on Street