Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Opportunity to own a .1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 AM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of good opinion here. I spent time in MG and TR6, and including muscle cars in my youth, but really wanted a 911 for years. Succumbing to lots of practicalities and family responsibilities in between, I finally got my first at age 47 in an air-cooled SC. I loved the old- school connectedness and sound experiences. Going without for a few years allowed me to spend time researching and test piloting some of the newer Pcar models to determine what Porsche would be next for me when the time was right. Even though the 997.1 Turbo was what I wanted for awhile, eventually I became convinced that what I really wanted was to stick with the purest, connected-to-the-whole-driving experience, normally aspirated GT3.1 as opposed to the stock 997.1 Turbo . I have certainly not been disappointed. I am thrilled with the handling, feel, and sounds Das Hotrod delivers every time I take it out. My use is not as a daily commuter in heavy traffic, which I think would be best left to something else. My use is like your intent - nice highways and lots of back road twisties in my area (with no track options nearby). I know the track is where the car shines and that is where it can be tested to higher limits. However, the road experience is also so very satisfying to me even just cruising along easily. I think the stock Turbo brings a softer grand-touring element with a softer experience overall. (I'm not interested in just mashing the throttle for a turbo rush.)
In the end, try each and see for yourself what speaks to you personally. Don't forget to enjoy the search experience, even if it takes some time to get what you really want.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Turbo torque and ride quality are way more fun on the street. GT3 doesn't wake up till 6k rpm an donly shines on the track. Throw an exhaust/tune on the turbo and you'll have a reliable 600hp monster you can take to the supermarket.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or just get a GT2 and forget about all the others.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Or just get a GT2 and forget about all the others.
winner winner chicken dinner!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:29 PM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Europipe on a TT cures most of the sound issue, still need to drive both.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like this will be your street car... If you will NEVER take this car on the track, then your decision should be based on the following factor - do you want a raw, throwback 911, or the ultimate point-and-shoot modern (plush with freakish acceleration) Porsche? If the former, GT3 hands down should be your choice. If the later, then the Turbo is the perfect 911.

Personally, I think the GT3 is truly in its element on the track. It's raw. It's visceral. The engine snorts. It's sublime. I'll always have one in my garage.

Drive them all, and report back please!

-B
Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 70 Posts

Significant differences in vehicle weight, refinement, power delivery and comfort quickly separate these cars despite their similar performance on paper. The GT3 is far more tactile, rewarding and communicative whilst the Turbo is quieter, more refined and less involving.

Like an Italian car, a GT3 establishes and emotional bond with its driver whilst a Turbo feels like a well engineered German tool. Buy the GT3 and drive it as often as possible until you are too old and frail to depress its clutch, then buy a Turbo with PDK and a backseat for your grandchildren.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts

If you have to ask then you should buy the TT.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 PM
stpatsday
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by twk63
If you have to ask then you should buy the TT.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM
DLJ
Racer

This is fun.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the more special car is the GT3

For me, instead of a TT, I would rather buy:
1) an Audi S4 with the trick rear diff + get an after market tune to bump the HP at 1/2 the price of a TT
2) a Panamerica GTS

It may sound like a weird comparison (S4 and Pan GTS) vs a TT - but once you drive a TT and GT3 it won't sound as crazy as it might now.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Jms1
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

After my first drive in a GT3 I knew I just had to have one. A year and a half later after much looking, more test drives and trying to convince myself that my Cayman Sport S was a cut price GT3 (had the same alcantara steering wheel afterall) I was ready to spoil myself on my 40th birthday. My friend however wisely suggested that I at least try a TT as I was in the market for both. After a good test drive in both I bought the TT........only kidding, GT3!! The feedback and level of involvement made it a no contest!

Try them both and please let us know what you think :-)
Regards,
Jase.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM
blaksquirrel
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought a nice .1 GT3 in February. It's my dream car and it's a serious upgrade from the VW GTI it replaced. I've already put 3k miles on it driving to the Sebring 12hr (from NYC) and with weekend backroad drives. I LOVE IT. It's loud, raw, communicative and everything else people say it is. No track yet but some day.

It's my only car, and while I don't commute in it (subway or bike) I'm also not hesitant to drive it wherever. I've been in Turbo's, both seriously modded and stock, and while they are FAST/fun, I personally prefer the character of the GT3. I've been driving it like a street car for a lot of miles in a relatively short amount of time, and I'm completely happy.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:54 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Gt3 is raw and for track use. Once u track it, it is addicting.

I drove turbo manual, Pdk, and crappy auto. Comfy, fast, and wife likes it more than gt3 simply due to lower sound. I didn't like it because it clutch felt too soft, none engaging speed but Damn it did reach high speed so fast on freeway...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT3. I had a 997.1 and I didn't miss my Turbo (996) at all. Though lacking the Turbo's torque, driving the GT3 is much more special..everything's tighter, sharper and more responsive. It's much closer to a motor-sport type feel. The GT3 also sounds better (worlds better), looks better (IMO) and is plenty fast for the road (get on a back road and you'll have all the power/speed you'll need). As a weekend car, the GT3's got it all over the Turbo, IMO. The Turbo is truely at home tearing up the Autobahn, that's where it shines. Unfortunately, there's no Autobahn in the US.

Quick Reply: Opportunity to own a .1 GT3