Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GMG Racing 2007 Porsche 997 GT3RS w/ Custom 4 Liter Conversion, aka Known as GMG WC-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Porsche community deserves to know the truth.... To spare anyone the misfortune.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:58 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott997
The Porsche community deserves to know the truth.... To spare anyone the misfortune.
Is the bad handiwork in the 4.0 conversion or with the bodywork, or even maybe all the above? It sure LOOKS good..
Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Yes please. Please do the RL community a favor by sharing the facts. I'm sure there are various sides to the story but those of us considering this kind of work would certainly benefit from the knowledge. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

Yes I have seen the handywork in the RS.2, not impressed.
Why bring is up now?

Originally Posted by RSRanger
The owner is a personal friend and colleague. I know the case well and I feel so bad for my friend.

Ranger (LRRP)
+1, like the orange one above, it's been 1.5 years since the cars were dropped off, but I do think the car is now in good hands with Orbit to be fixed. The owner certainly deserves a good running car!!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

So GMG screws up a 4.0 build for well over a year and Orbit fixes GMG mess but GMG gets the credit in Excellence magazine? WOW!...shaking my head....
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Yes please. Please do the RL community a favor by sharing the facts. I'm sure there are various sides to the story but those of us considering this kind of work would certainly benefit from the knowledge. Thanks!
Maybe it's the harda$$ in me but I've always subscribed to the belief that there's ONLY one side to a story ... THAT'S THE TRUTH.
The flip side is always bullcrap and excuses.
After all this 4.0 build someone ask GMG if this .1RS "Orange Crush" has a dual mass flywheel?
Yup I better stand down in respect for my friend and my pissed mindset over his predicament and BS.

Ranger
Old 05-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a bit aware of what's going on, but don't want to speak for anyone. There was a tech bulletin from Porsche on Low RPM harmonics and light weight flywheels. Cam bolts, Oil Pump Gears, and Flywheel bolts are all areas that will take the brunt of this. Is an issue for factory 3.8's and 4.0's as well...

From what I understand the situation wasn't handled well...
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deleted. Just saw new post.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Mike Li
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the front fender flares add-on ? does it require drilling?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:47 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Tough crowd guys......
Fab posted this a week ago and then flew out to Taiwan for a track day with some new clients.....so I am sure he will get back to you with any questions you have had about the Orange car but cut him a little slack for not responding immediately.

The Orange Crush car has been running great.....client is happy as heck as we just took it out for the day today at the new Thermal Club track in Palm Springs......the 4.0 was running strong as I took it out for it's maiden voyage on the new track and the low end torque proved worthy with a lot of slow exit corners.

RSR/MDrums/Trakcar, I think you guys know that I have stepped up to take care of the RS at Orbit as best as I can.....and yes, I know JD has been more than patient so I am doing what I can and working with Rodger to resolve this situation.

Keep in mind, he has seen RS motors grenade in his shop as well due to the various issues these motors have seen from the factory and PCNA has done nothing about it. We worked through these issues and finally got the package right.

And anyone who has questions can always email me directly at james@gmgracing.com as I am always available.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
So GMG screws up a 4.0 build for well over a year and Orbit fixes GMG mess but GMG gets the credit in Excellence magazine? WOW!...shaking my head....
MDrums, Orbit is not fixing a mess, they are replacing the motor with original OEM 4.0 parts that I am supplying. It's not ideal but it's what JD wanted and I am trying to take care of him under the circumstances.
C'mon now....we have met in person, and I would think you would reach out to me to maybe get the schedule of events that took place during this photo shoot. You saw my post on the other thread.....
Old 05-05-2013, 12:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

Tough crowd for sure but comes with the insane obsessed RS territory.
Thanks for posting on these pages and standing up to explain the good and the bad.
**** happens, problems and issues always arise. Reputation is build on the solutions making it right.

I spend all my advertising dollars on fixing issues and making it right with customers and reputation sells, cheaper to just hide short term.

Nobody hiding here...
Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
MDrums, Orbit is not fixing a mess, they are replacing the motor with original OEM 4.0 parts that I am supplying. It's not ideal but it's what JD wanted and I am trying to take care of him under the circumstances.
C'mon now....we have met in person, and I would think you would reach out to me to maybe get the schedule of events that took place during this photo shoot. You saw my post on the other thread.....
Thanks for commenting but also I am now confused....was it the grey or orange car that had the issues? I thought it was the grey car that Excellence gushed bout in the review. I take it the Excellence article was before the issue? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,792 Likes on 2,373 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
i am beginning to feel that james is very different than fabryce.
one is nice, the other not so nice.
that's personal gut feel. and i am usually pretty good with gut feel.

fab went to taiwan.
lmao, he better can hold his alcohol. a table of ten we opended 19 bottles of louis 13 and 8 bottles of mccallan and they all drove themselves home. drunk driving and hitting things is what driving is all about in my country. my father often end up in the ditch and one time in a river..... kid you not. fab has MUCH to learn to earn business in asia.

just sell them bling parts, chinese can't drive. look at me.
and the key to success in taiwan. if it's worth $100, tell them it's really $10,888. you will sell a lot more. and dont forget to buy them girls... followed by brown nosing then blackmail....
Old 05-05-2013, 04:31 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i am beginning to feel that james is very different than fabryce.
one is nice, the other not so nice.
that's personal gut feel. and i am usually pretty good with gut feel.

fab went to taiwan.
lmao, he better can hold his alcohol. a table of ten we opended 19 bottles of louis 13 and 8 bottles of mccallan and they all drove themselves home. drunk driving and hitting things is what driving is all about in my country. my father often end up in the ditch and one time in a river..... kid you not. fab has MUCH to learn to earn business in asia.

just sell them bling parts, chinese can't drive. look at me.
and the key to success in taiwan. if it's worth $100, tell them it's really $10,888. you will sell a lot more. and dont forget to buy them girls... followed by brown nosing then blackmail....
I hate to agree with everything you've said. (Haven't seen you drive, so that bit's my only carveout)

There's evidently a dearth of understanding of how each of the "key" markets in Asia work, as in they're all very fragmented and vastly different from one another. When ethics and honor are optional accessories in some of these places, a one-size west coast mentality simply ain't gonna fly in this part of the world. The Techarts of the world tremble in their boots when they sell one Polyurethane body kit to a HK "client" who promptly replicates 50 sets of the same out of his Dongguan facility.

China's a big market, but being big doesn't mean everyone's gotta be in it yesterday. Esp. when the cards are stacked entirely in the house's favor.

Sorry OP for the tangent. I will accept a virtual slap-of-wrist for the transgression.

Last edited by CRex; 05-05-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: GMG Racing 2007 Porsche 997 GT3RS w/ Custom 4 Liter Conversion, aka Known as GMG WC-R