Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What could cause first gear synchro to wear out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

#1 reason

You forget you're in neutral at a light.

You rev the engine.

You immediately shove it in gear.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,088 Posts

The synchro's teeth can show quite a bit of ding marks and still work fine. The part that shows use from shifting is the friction ring and the ring it mates to. The stock synchro's teeth are a soft metal for a reason. I would not change anything to a racing upgrade as this may make the life of the unit shorter not longer. My car needed first and 2nd gear rings at 80K miles because the clutch faces on the rings were burnished smooth and they could no longer spin up the gears to synchronize speed. With this experience the next time it may need to be looked at is at 160K miles. It seems to me steel gears are more likely to chip and release hard metal debris that can damage the gears.

Andy
The following users liked this post:
KingSize.Hamster (07-10-2024)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:00 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
#1 reason

You forget you're in neutral at a light.

You rev the engine.

You immediately shove it in gear.
Great, I will mention that to the guy that owned the car before I bought it. Came that way.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
I think that Montoya is adding a new R&P (cheater part).

He would be better doing a CL delete then a saving for more brakes and tires
No CL delete- dug myself a big hole here that I'm not going to dig out of anytime soon (new CL nuts, hubs, 3sets of wheels + original equip. wheels etc.)

Yes, Guard Diff and new R&P, and now new synchros. I have no idea what the hell caused the first gear wear. I think the original owner probably had a bad habit of shifting into first rolling to a stop- I never do this and most miles are on the track anyways where I don't use first. Second gear synchro is just worn not burnt out like first. I heal and toe all down shifts even on the street, but I don't double clutch.

Does anyone know anyone that double clutches on the track? I've never seen it.
If anyone has a video where someone is doing it in the car on the track that would be cool to see...
Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aero997c2s
Are there any signs of failure? Or can you only tell when trans is out?
No sign of failure, only when the tranny is on the operating table...
Old 04-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
No CL delete- dug myself a big hole here that I'm not going to dig out of anytime soon (new CL nuts, hubs, 3sets of wheels + original equip. wheels etc.)

Yes, Guard Diff and new R&P, and now new synchros. I have no idea what the hell caused the first gear wear. I think the original owner probably had a bad habit of shifting into first rolling to a stop- I never do this and most miles are on the track anyways where I don't use first. Second gear synchro is just worn not burnt out like first. I heal and toe all down shifts even on the street, but I don't double clutch.

If anyone has a video where someone is doing it in the car on the track that would be cool to see...
Didn't Sunset just do the CL recall on your car?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy M
Didn't Sunset just do the CL recall on your car?
Yes, this is part of my CL "hole"- I also did 4 new CL nuts (check the time out schedule) and the front CL hubs and bearings, plus! I just bought another set of OZ challenge wheels (two sets now) to add to my forgelines and OE set. Big, big hole....
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Heel and toe without double clutch just saves some clutch life and unsettles the car less on the downshift. Without the double clutch you are doing nothing to save or preserve your synchros...
Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Heel and toe without double clutch just saves some clutch life and unsettles the car less on the downshift. Without the double clutch you are doing nothing to save or preserve your synchros...
That's clear. Just asking who does a double clutch on the track at speed? I have never seen anyone do it and would like to see a video of someone doing it at a competitive pace. Most race cars don't have the same type of gears so I know that there is not the need to double clutch, so when we get to cars like the GT3 while it would be "nice" to double clutch, I personally think that it's not really something that can be done quickly at race pace. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Classified section can get you out of that hole.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

That's clear. Just asking who does a double clutch on the track at speed? I have never seen anyone do it and would like to see a video of someone doing it at a competitive pace. Most race cars don't have the same type of gears so I know that there is not the need to double clutch, so when we get to cars like the GT3 while it would be "nice" to double clutch, I personally think that it's not really something that can be done quickly at race pace. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I started doing last summer because my synchros in second started to go. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Clutch in, shift to neutral, blip throttle, clutch in, shift, release.

Took me a couple of turns to get it down. It's just an extra step and a slightly different rhythm.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Asquared
I started doing last summer because my synchros in second started to go. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Clutch in, shift to neutral, blip throttle, clutch in, shift, release.

Took me a couple of turns to get it down. It's just an extra step and a slightly different rhythm.
Different SLOWER rhythm, right? I can't see you doing it as fast as a normal shift.
When there were only crash boxes everyone had to do it. But that's why they invented synchro's in the first place, but it is a wear item and depending on how hard you push it, it can wear out quicker or slower. I can live with it.

But again, my bias aside, I just want a video of someone doing it at a competitive pace. Maybe you can double clutch as fast as a single clutch, I just don't see how I can...
The following users liked this post:
purcell21 (07-16-2022)
Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,786 Likes on 2,372 Posts

i can't do it.
but one of my instructors in SM does it like it's nothing. i dont understand how she can do it so smoothly and so fast. sorry no video though
Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i can't do it.
but one of my instructors in SM does it like it's nothing. i dont understand how she can do it so smoothly and so fast. sorry no video though
Yeah, I'm going to look on Youtube cuz I think it's talked about but rarely done on track. Rare skill that's for sure. I'm too uncoordinated.

Edit: YouTube shows lots of how tos for big rigs or guys street driving. Found famous one of senna in NSX at Suzuka with footwork camera, no double clutch...

Last edited by montoya; 04-19-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Clutch in, shift to neutral, blip throttle, clutch in, shift, release.
Clutch in, shift to neutral, release, blip throttle, clutch in, shift, release. Is that correct?

Quick Reply: What could cause first gear synchro to wear out?