Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New race track at Thermal, CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New race track at Thermal, CA

I'm sure some have heard there is a new race track being built at Thermal, California which is right next door to Palm Springs. It's a private club and the membership is stratospheric and requires you to build a man-cave garage combo.

The track designer is Alan Wilson of Miller/NOLA and many others fame so it's a well designed track. They have the first two base coats on the first section done and I was invited out by the Wilson's to drive around it in order for Alan to position the curbing properly before the final surface is applied. Alan's wife Desire (Google "Desire' Wilson") was in the track owner's 458 and I was out in my new RS5 (new as in 400 kilometers on it!) Very nice track with some quite technical sections, shorter but adequate straights and a couple of tricky decreasing radius corners. Overall this section will be a ton of fun and greatly enhanced once the entire facility is built. We drove around the rest of the track which is still dirt and you can see how it will all fit together.

Alan hopes they will see the light soon and revamp the membership structure so that more people can join. I pointed out that I could get on just about any track in North America for about $350/day and I didn't see the need to prepay for the next 100 years We'll have to wait to see when reality strikes.... nice track and the overall facility when done will be first class.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No pics?
WTF
:-)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

And u didn't buy the new house on site?
Should I give a lesson on planning?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Lesson 1. Subway on site. No competing clause inc,used next 100 years without ur consent
Lesson 2. starbux on site. Same exclusionary clause above
Lesson 3. Mooty gets 25% of net revenue o f above

Sounds fair to me Peter.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I'm sure some have heard there is a new race track being built at Thermal, California which is right next door to Palm Springs. It's a private club and the membership is stratospheric and requires you to build a man-cave garage combo.

The track designer is Alan Wilson of Miller/NOLA and many others fame so it's a well designed track. They have the first two base coats on the first section done and I was invited out by the Wilson's to drive around it in order for Alan to position the curbing properly before the final surface is applied. Alan's wife Desire (Google "Desire' Wilson") was in the track owner's 458 and I was out in my new RS5 (new as in 400 kilometers on it!) Very nice track with some quite technical sections, shorter but adequate straights and a couple of tricky decreasing radius corners. Overall this section will be a ton of fun and greatly enhanced once the entire facility is built. We drove around the rest of the track which is still dirt and you can see how it will all fit together.

Alan hopes they will see the light soon and revamp the membership structure so that more people can join. I pointed out that I could get on just about any track in North America for about $350/day and I didn't see the need to prepay for the next 100 years We'll have to wait to see when reality strikes.... nice track and the overall facility when done will be first class.
Thanks for the report, I was wondering if they were ever going to get that opened. Figured "The Crash" took them under. Good to hear another modern track is going to get opened on the West Coast. Probably not much use in June-Aug though, roast alive like at Spring Mountain. Awesome wintering location though!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

And after a day of tracking, relax on the beautiful beaches of Salton Sea, located just minutes away!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a couple, two legends going strong I just ran into Des at the grocery store a minute ago both of them are so nice. She was getting ready for the race weekend. What are the garages/mancaves going for?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Great news!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Just like Miller and Nola.

Both about 100 mil to build, there was never a plan to make money. Just build by guys like us with bigger check books.

You can get on them with whomever rents the track.

Unless if becomes exclusive like Monticello and it will be open for members only and it game over for us.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

You are lucky. We were supposed to get Bluegrass Motorsports track about 30 min south of me. Promised to be an awesome track. But 2008 took that project down and now I hear it is defunct and that all the pavement laid is no good now.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Yes, or AMP. It got build but everything is too loud to run.
Too bad.

PBIR is in our backyard, but they took a fun crappy track and made it the least fun track I've ever been to.
I really want to love it, but I'm done after an hour. Some like it, it's just not my kind of track.
With walls everywhere and it's a brake killer too, it's just not fun enough for the risk and wear and tear.

And 2008 kept them from building the facilities. I wish the would have left the track alone and build an air conditioned area instead. A tent won't do for wives.

We have Sebring, Homestead and Daytona at least.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yes, or AMP. It got build but everything is too loud to run.
Too bad.

PBIR is in our backyard, but they took a fun crappy track and made it the least fun track I've ever been to.
I really want to love it, but I'm done after an hour. Some like it, it's just not my kind of track.
With walls everywhere and it's a brake killer too, it's just not fun enough for the risk and wear and tear.

And 2008 kept them from building the facilities. I wish the would have left the track alone and build an air conditioned area instead. A tent won't do for wives.

We have Sebring, Homestead and Daytona at least.
You're hardly slumming it with those tracks. We have Mid Ohio which I really like and Putnam which is just ok. I have heard that a track is being built on the corvette museum grounds in Kentucky. I hope it is true and that it will be open for tracking and racing.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...orsports-park/
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Just like Miller and Nola.

Both about 100 mil to build, there was never a plan to make money. Just build by guys like us with bigger check books.

You can get on them with whomever rents the track.

Unless if becomes exclusive like Monticello and it will be open for members only and it game over for us.
barber was a mere 75 mil, and that is a beautiful facility. 100 mil in palm springs. It had better have its own runway and airport
Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

www.thethermalclub.com - looks great. Airport is 5 miles away. Lots of Porsches and other exotics down there, but those many of those guys (the snowbirds) only drive them a couple days a year and are probably scary on a track. I'll stick to SP, LS & TH...
Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Lesson 1. Subway on site. No competing clause inc,used next 100 years without ur consent
Lesson 2. starbux on site. Same exclusionary clause above
Lesson 3. Mooty gets 25% of net revenue o f above

Sounds fair to me Peter.
I like the way you think thanks for the lessons I'll see if Fred wants to add lobster and caviar to the Subway menu
Alas no US businesses for me, the IRS doesn't know I exist and I want to keep it that way, CRA is bad enough!

Quick Reply: New race track at Thermal, CA