Considering this '10 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts
Default Considering this '10 GT3

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Looks pretty well loaded up to me. I read somewhere about a front lift system available for these cars but didn't know if this was an option or not? I took a look at this car briefly today and appears to be in great shape. Does not have the stock wheels although the OZ's are nice. Is there anything not on this car that most of you feel is mandatory to have? Are the carbon brakes problematic in any way? Also looking on a few opinions on pricing, what KBB says and what people are realistically paying for cars similar to this one. TIA

Old 03-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Lift is a really nice option, but I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker if you love the car otherwise.

I would use the non oem wheels as a bargaining chip to drop the asking price. They are 5k to replace.

No issues with PCCB. That car is loaded!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 AM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd make sure you get a good look at those rotors. Ceramic rotors are very very expensive and I'm sure the last thing you want to hear during your first service is that you need new $18,000 rotors. Reason I say that is that most people aren't changing wheels unless they're tracking, and there are fairly strict "steps" to follow while tracking with ceramics.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Dynamic Engine Mounts
GT2 Seats
Stock wheels (as others have mentioned, you will need the aftermarket wheels for the track)
CPO
Front lift not a big deal, lip on .2 less prone to folding under than .1, easy and not expensive to replace, can still look good scratched when repaired with Forever Black

Asking price high- target around 98K for the mileage and similar spec, lots available, just not in Portland.

Unless you love black, I would look at others in Cali or in Wash- I think there was a nice red one in Seattle last month for around 100K...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 AM
PCH
Instructor

OEM or Techart lift system can be retrofitted
Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PPI at Rothsport ---

I put 60,000 miles one 996 GT3 with dozens of track days in Seattle and PIR, replaced GENI fronts @ 26,000 miles. 40,000 on 997 not a single issue. Replace pads @ 50%, stay on the track surface proper cool down lap.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Sounds like not having the front lift isn't that big of a deal. Other threads here had info about the front lip costing around $200 as well as the available club car lip which is softer and bends much easier because of its rubber content.

The rotors look new (very smooth w/ no scores) to me but I don't really know what a worn carbon rotor looks like. $18K to replace is insane though. How long would they typically last for a guy who drives 90% street 10%track? The dynamic engine mounts would be great option to have but not a deal breaker. Not sure if I'd feel the difference unless reaching 8/10th's of its performance. I would like the stock wheels only because it will be a question of a potential buyer down the road. They claim it was never tracked, recently serviced at Larson.

It appears that placing a value on the options, all the carbon fiber, deviating stitching and other interior bling doesn't translate into a car that has a higher value? Sure all that stuff is nice to have, and you'll take it if the car has it, but you're not going to pay extra for it?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCCB: I would bet that if you sell the car with 90,000 miles on it the rotors will still be fine. In Portland not having the lift is not a big deal. You will work out approaching curbs and such. I never had too many issues except with some steeep driveways where I had to approach one wheel at a time. I would not pay for all the extras and would expect there is a lot of room to bring the price down. Barrier had the red GT3 but it is gone. Whine about the PCCB and the Turbo interior.
Worn rotor will feel like fine grit sand paper
Old 03-24-2013, 02:07 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Right- Gingerbread on GT3 is generally worth nothing- point to remember when you order a new one (for all you guys looking at a new 991 GT3). In my case the original owner of my car took a huge depreciation hit for all the deviated stitching and leather added. By the time the third owner (me) bought it, there was no value against other similar cars.

You can retrofit the DEM's on most .2 GT3's. If you are going to do any tracking at all, I would do it or put the Wevo mounts in. But IMHO, the factory DEM's are pretty cool technology and offer the best of both worlds- street comfort and track performance.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
PCH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Randy M
It appears that placing a value on the options, all the carbon fiber, deviating stitching and other interior bling doesn't translate into a car that has a higher value? Sure all that stuff is nice to have, and you'll take it if the car has it, but you're not going to pay extra for it?
Obviously it depends on the seller and buyer. My car is highly optioned and I'm not going to make pretend it's not at time of sale.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:16 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on all comments above
wrt PCCB's a PPI check should reveal wear
the fact that aftermarket wheels are on would imply track time PCCB's wear differently to steels and the indicators for wear have more to do with the loss of the effectiveness of the friction material on the face of the discs. I recall reading somewhere on RL about how to do this. The figure was something like greater than 30% of the disc face being a darker shade to the rest of the disc means they need replacing.
you may be lucky in that many how track a car take the ceramics off and store them for resale so the PCCB's maybe pristine
Great car though and you wouldnt regret it.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

I sure this was a local car that was for sale earlier this year on Craigslist. The seller claimed it had never been tracked. I did not go to see it first hand as it did not have DEM. He also said that he had the original wheels.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Randy M
Drifting

I believe he was out of Olympia. I had heard the same about no track time.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Would a dealership do the AC05 centerlock recall on non-OEM wheels?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
I believe he was out of Olympia. I had heard the same about no track time.

Yep, that's the one.

Quick Reply: Considering this '10 GT3