Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Interested in learning more about GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3 is a fine mind-clearing car for the open roads in the Hill Country around Austin, or anywhere.

Maybe the GT3 is okay on the streets occasionally, but if you are always in heavy traffic, what is your point in wasting such a great car in that environment? Would you use a Derby thoroughbred to round up the swine? Are you driving the car to be seen, or are you a driver?

Having ventured that, I will admit to occasionally doing a noisy rant down South Congress or Lamar in my GT3 just to watch the Austin Chronicle-fueled Fiats and Priuses dive for cover yelling "The sky is falling!! Carbon! Carbon!!"

Vive la difference!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Polesitter
I have owned the extremes on both ends from .1 straight GT3 to the 4.0 RS which still sits in my garage. Your question centers on street use. I actually believe the cars all look very similar, and arguably the .1 RS looks the best in my opinion....particularly from the rear. IMO the .2 cars actually ride a little better for everyday use. I also find the nose lift an absolute essential in everyday practicality. In general, and despite what you may hear on this forum, I do not suggest any GT3 model for everyday use.
+1 I test drove both and for street use the .2 is better, front axle lift is key in HOU, better ride for the street and higher low end torque makes it better to me. Anyway I'd be happy with the .1 too.

I drive it 4 or 5 days/week and I love it. Addictive ....
Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
Link please...?

Also to the OP:

No, don't buy a 997.1. I don't need the extra buying competition. Go away!
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...tucson-az.html

In rennlist classified- Tuson not Phoenix
Also to the OP:
Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the advice, helpful....

Not sure how many ways I can say that this would not be a daily driver or city streets or traffic car

just weekend fun car...for what its worth, the C63 Black Series is pretty brutal on city streets also... the coilovers are adjustable, but I havent messed with them yet
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Thanks for all the advice, helpful....

Not sure how many ways I can say that this would not be a daily driver or city streets or traffic car

just weekend fun car...for what its worth, the C63 Black Series is pretty brutal on city streets also... the coilovers are adjustable, but I havent messed with them yet
you will luv either of them....
.1 or .2
Your $$$ will drive the decision....I saw some low low mileage ones yesterday on ebay....
Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have no intentions of tracking your GT3 I recommend not to buy it. The reason is simple, it will cause you more headaches with the cops than you can ever imagine. The car will continually tempt you to explore it's capabilities. Even in first gear, you'll likely be breaking the law. By tracking the car, your curiosity will be tamed; hence, less hassle and expense in dealing with police. By the way, the Hill country is no longer a good place to be driving the car unless you are acting like a good citizen. The most deserted places have daily patrols, and trust me, you will get pegged.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

OP, C63 BS is a sweet car! I have owned all 997 GT3 variations and find them all easy enough for a DD. I drive about 4miles to work in downtown traffic with my rigid dress shoes. No problem with heal - toe.

7.1 is the best deal out there. 6.2 GT3s are still the most raw, pure experience, but much less of a decent DD. Wife complained lots. In 997 GT3s, no complaints except idle for 7.2 RS. If using as a DD, I'd go for non-RS 3.8. Gorgeous car, usable power for spirited street driving noticeable, and ride was more comfortable.

I don't mind the CLs unlike most people on the forum. I believe install error is more the case. Whatever you buy, unlock the real sound of the GT3 with a Sharky bypass! Would advise 3.8 non RS and if best value, 3.6 non-RS. Still feel the delta for the 3.6 RS isn't worth it unless you just love the look. Drive them both then decide.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:16 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by russo
If you have no intentions of tracking your GT3 I recommend not to buy it. The reason is simple, it will cause you more headaches with the cops than you can ever imagine. The car will continually tempt you to explore it's capabilities. Even in first gear, you'll likely be breaking the law. By tracking the car, your curiosity will be tamed; hence, less hassle and expense in dealing with police. By the way, the Hill country is no longer a good place to be driving the car unless you are acting like a good citizen. The most deserted places have daily patrols, and trust me, you will get pegged.
I guess it depends where you are, what your definition of fun is, etc... I drive hill country roads often, almost every weekend. My black series isnt exactly tame :-). Me and the Valentine 1 do great on the backroads...
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I think your black series is faster on the streets than 7gt3. Can't beat trq. Kinda useless getting into a gt3 where it's only alive at 7-8k rpm for max
trq. Pretty boring car with no space to put nething in it. Mike
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

The black series is a torque monster, and I love that part of the personality. Very linear, very usable. Also less involving, though. For some, shifting the gears manually, and the direct interaction with the car, keeping it in the right RPM ranges, etc. is part of the fun.

This thread has given me a lot to think about, appreciate it
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Driven my friend's 7.1 gt3 to the track while he was racing my car. While I can unequivocally say it's world's better than my 6 still the 7 is meh. Not really all that engaging on the street. Your c63 black kinda fits in the do all category in terms of performance and creature comforts. Don't know if even your wife would like it. My wife sat in my car once- that's it. I drove my wife in my friend's 7.1 from work- once as well. Can't put in 2 pro golf bags in car too. Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Sorry Mike, did you say something?

Who is in the picture?!...
Old 03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Damage
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Sorry Mike, did you say something?

Who is in the picture?!...
Check out the latest Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue for the answer...
Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Kate upton. SI swimsuit model. Mike

Quick Reply: Interested in learning more about GT3s