Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

CL's-Confused on Maintenence-Please clarify..

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
serpico1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CL's-Confused on Maintenence-Please clarify..

Hello Gents,

I own a 2011 GT3. Mine was not affected by the CL rear hub recall but I had them checked while i was at my dealer a couple of weeks ago and they said were fine.

I dont track my GT3. I use it most weekends for back country drives etc. WHen I asked my dealer about maintenence, he replied there was none, zero, zip as I didnt track the car. When i asked about even 8k or 10k miles, replacing the hubs he again, said not to worry that there was nothing I needed to do.

Is this accurate seeing as I dont track her? If used as a weekend car, would I be immune to the CL schedule Porsche has put forth. It wasnt very clear addressing people who dont do DE's.

Any light to be shed would be helpful. Thank you,
Eric
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Correct! Additional maintenance, that is, replacement of hubs at intervals is ONLY for cars that are tracked... You will never need to time out hubs if you don't track unless something wears etc...
Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Correct! Additional maintenance, that is, replacement of hubs at intervals is ONLY for cars that are tracked... You will never need to time out hubs if you don't track unless something wears etc...
hang on..no - if you track the interval is just much smaller..but even with no track you have to replace at a certain moment the relevant parts..
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Hubs/carriers do not have a wear surface, such as bearings. The hubs need to be replaced at Porsche's prescribed intervals due to material fatigue. As in, loss of strength/toughness due to repetitive loading. If you're not tracking, the engineers at Porsche have determined that you wouldn't be loading up these parts to the point where the endurance limit is affected.

Items with wear surfaces, such as the wheel bearings, may need replacement in the future just like on any other car. This would be prompted by bearing noise.

So, I think the answer is that you ignore the maintenance schedule for hubs/bearings if you do not track. If you do track and are 10 seconds slower than your GT3 friends, I would also ignore the maintenance requirement since you're likely still in the estimated "street loading" range. Finally, use your best judgement.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Hubs/carriers do not have a wear surface, such as bearings. The hubs need to be replaced at Porsche's prescribed intervals due to material fatigue. As in, loss of strength/toughness due to repetitive loading. If you're not tracking, the engineers at Porsche have determined that you wouldn't be loading up these parts to the point where the endurance limit is affected.

Items with wear surfaces, such as the wheel bearings, may need replacement in the future just like on any other car. This would be prompted by bearing noise.
Exactly right... Bearings are a wear and tear item on any car. Hubs would not be expected to be replaced in the OPs case unless they showed signs of wear or damage, ie. wheels not torqued right and movement fatigued hubs with street use...

To the OP, your dealer's advice is correct...

Quick Reply: CL's-Confused on Maintenence-Please clarify..