Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT why the 991 has all the nannies

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Perhaps it ran under the back of a semi ?
That was my first thought too VR...
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Wet/damp conditions, brand new tires (with the protective oil) combined with inexperience. Also, the nanny helpers only help if you keep your foot in the gas, it looks to me that he came off of the gas and at that point papa physics took over.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:50 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Both crashed a few hours after picking it up and 458 have lots of nannies already.
:
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Perhaps it ran under the back of a semi ?
That is what happend to this GT2RS. Apparently, just 4 hours after picking it up, it ran into the back of a semi while 'airborne' at 160mph - http://www.luxury4play.com/porsche/1...-rs-crash.html

*removed the pic, it is bad and there were possibly fatalities.

Last edited by sunnyr; 03-09-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Someone clearly didn't make it - I think you should remove that photo from rennlist.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's horrific, but to be clear, the photos show the car after it has been recovered. The rescue crew tends to cut through pillars and dismantle the car to save lives, then the tow company just pushes everything into the cabin space to haul it away.

I think Porsche has a "no snuff pics" policy, so no need to be morbid about it, but to examine the "survivability" of a severe, high speed crash, there's a GT2 RS that left the track at the ring and the ensuing rolls and bounced tore the car apart, but left the cabin (mostly) inviolate. That's not to say any amount boron steel and airbags will save your neck, but the 911 does seem to be a lot safer place than most.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Someone clearly didn't make it - I think you should remove that photo from rennlist.
I don't geit it, why should the photo be removed? This is a great example of what happens when a person with more money than brains buys a car.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Mother of God.

Besides the obvious running out of talent with too much HP and not enough skill, it's disheartening but unsurprising that all of these sorts of things happen on streets, not tracks.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Money has nothing to do with it, people do this in rep mobiles all the time, its just a lack of brains combined with wrong place. Skill doesn't come into it either. Skill or electronics present or not and or switched on or off will not save anyone from a complete stop in 2 metres at speed.

Electronics are great and really improve cars when implemented correctly there is no getting away from it.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
I don't geit it, why should the photo be removed? This is a great example of what happens when a person with more money than brains buys a car.
Do I really need to respond?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by russo
It's not a matter of censor or censure, it's a collective choice to not have Rennlist as yet another place on the Internet where fascination with gratuitous, morbid images contaminates the intention of enjoying motorsport and Porsche in general.

It's been this way all along, but more deliberate in recent years. I don't think it's a moralistic imposition. I think I'm correct in saying that the moderators have drawn a hard line to remove content and links that contain graphic images, especially when the material does not contribute to the discussion in any apparently serious intent or purpose.

I guess we could debate whether there's a lesson in the image of a horribly mangled vehicle or any other graphic image with no apparent redeeming value. It's hard to argue in favor of any non-specific limitation of free speech, but within the context of Rennlist, I think it's a bit like bit like snow skiing, it's useful to see the video of the avalanche, but no use in showing the aftermath. Hopefully that makes sense, and to be clear, I'm speaking from my own thoughts on balancing free speech versus the impossible conflicts of maintaining a civil discourse in a public forum, I'm certainly not purporting to be the voice of others or the proprietors. : )
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Do I really need to respond?
No and thanks.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Oops, I was a split second too quick. Another case of "why wait for three words when three hundred will suffice."

: )
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't get it. From my recollection, the picture is about a severely wrecked vehicle. I don't recall seeing any deceased or injured people, or for that matter any mangled body parts. In my opinion, and I want to emphasize this point, this is the type of picture that should be shown as frequently as possible so that people can see for themselves the consequences of high speed collisions.

Quick Reply: OT why the 991 has all the nannies