Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 Petition

Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Dude, you seem insecure. If you don't like PDK, don't buy it. Surely it doesn't make you feel better to denigrate those that do?
Insecure about what exactly Dr? I'm on record as saying I would probably like a PDK GT3 for a street car as long as I already had a manual race car. It's the scrap the manual option opinions that annoy me, so I counter them.

Sounds like I'm not the insecure one, sounds more like I struck a nerve with an honest assessment. I thought car guys were supposed to have thick skin?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Wanna - have you ever driver a sequential? I have. Nice on a track but impossible on the street. All of the Cup Car guys with sequential gearboxes will agree.

I had a 430 with F1 for a couple years, have you driven one? The F1 tranny is in all ways inferior to the PDK and fragile on top of that. Maybe that's why Ferrari switched to a PDK type transmission in the newer cars.

If you don't like PDK, that's fine but why don't you leave it at that.
Of course I don't expect Porsche to put a Cup sequential in a GT3 for people to drive on the streets, that makes no sense for a street car, which is why I listed the alternatives. I have not driven a Cup type sequential, but yes I have driven a 430, which is why I said Porsche designed F1 tranny, I know they are fragile. Just because one manufacturer doesn't get it right doesn't mean none of them can. Take a look at the various cars with dual clutches in them, Porsche would be at the top of the heap in that area as well, based on everything I've heard so why not a better F1 tranny than Ferrari?

What, is it ok to bag on Corvette, Viper, Ferrari drivers, but as soon as someone has an actual neutral opinion in that regard people get sensitive? LOL.
LOL? Really?

So what exactly is your point? PDK is ****e for poseurs, wannabes, Corvette, viper etc drivers. Yet you'd buy one. Now I'm really confused.

bottom line, I hope Porsche offers both transmissions. I'm probably going to buy the PDK one. And I won't disparage those that get the 7mt. Or make sweeping generalizations about their aversion to modern technology
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Insecure about what exactly Dr? I'm on record as saying I would probably like a PDK GT3 for a street car as long as I already had a manual race car. It's the scrap the manual option opinions that annoy me, so I counter them.

Sounds like I'm not the insecure one, sounds more like I struck a nerve with an honest assessment. I thought car guys were supposed to have thick skin?
Huh? We are laughing and joking around at the luddite desire for anachronisms, and you respond with a long stream of name calling - "clueless, poseur, fanboy, viper, corvette, coffee shop."

Then accuse everyone else of having thin skin... hmmm

Any idea if air cooled heads will fit on water-cooled GT3 metzger barrels?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by rodsky
LOL? Really?

So what exactly is your point? PDK is ****e for poseurs, wannabes, Corvette, viper etc drivers. Yet you'd buy one. Now I'm really confused.

bottom line, I hope Porsche offers both transmissions. I'm probably going to buy the PDK one. And I won't disparage those that get the 7mt. Or make sweeping generalizations about their aversion to modern technology

PDK only clearly revolves around that, IF that is in fact the case. The car is no longer being built with consideration for (at least some of) the enthusiasts it was originally designed around. Going cold turkey when there is a manual option not much different from the PDK (which is still not ideal) shows who the car is being built for. Along with the non-advantageous center locks and 20's.

Anyone who isn't blinded by a Porsche badge can see that much. This isn't all about PDK. It's the loss of another ICON (i.e. BMW). If you were paying attention, BMW tried the same thing with the E60 M5, the ensuing backlash was great enough for them to offer a manual, even into the newest one, even though it's a crappy one.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

anyone know how to uninstall synchros?

Real men press the clutch pedal twice.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Huh? We are laughing and joking around at the luddite desire for anachronisms, and you respond with a long stream of name calling - "clueless, poseur, fanboy, viper, corvette, coffee shop."

Then accuse everyone else of having thin skin... hmmm

Go back and read the thread bub, I played your game (on the other team) until you couldn't take the heat anymore and got offended.......

so yeah.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Sure; you just need the easily replaceable belt runs the cooling fan and water pump simultaneously. An advantage is that it makes possible the super efficient air/water dual heater option. I used to love those little levers between the seats. They made turning on the heater so involving. Can we get those on the new GT3?

Plus, someone really needs to take a chill pill and develop a sense of humor........
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Go back and read the thread bub, I played your game (on the other team) until you couldn't take the heat anymore and got offended.......

so yeah.
please enlighten me as to where I got offended? the only person angry enough to lash out with name calling is you.

Where does this concept about Porsche being some sort of pure, unadulterated sportscar maker for the real enthusiast come from? Porsche originated slick marketing in the 80s with the slantnose and have been nothing more than a marketing machine ever since (look at the 996 which was just a boxster with a flipped transmission and more hp).

The only pure sportscar maker WAS lotus, but they made cars no one bought and are basically out of business in the US with the decision to pull the new exige/elise from our shores.

do you know of anyone who makes 20 inch bias-ply whitewalls?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I thought this thread was for poking some fun, but I see it took another turn somewhere. I didn't even go through all the previous post
Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Any thread that involves PDK and manual within the same sentence will eventually end up in some ugly name calling game. It never fails.
I am not opposed to PDK. I definitely will buy my sedan and SUV with PDK. Realizing that PDK will be faster on the track, I still prefer to drive my 911 with a stick. I don't care if a PDK rookie passes me. There is no price or pride to win or lose at the tracks that I go to.
Life is good because we have choices. Porsche takes away my choices, then I may shop elsewhere. No need to get angry or to complain. We got much better things to do.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea we all know pdk is coming, we would or i would at least like to have the option b/w pdk and a manual. if we dont, then i can keep my current RS with no worries

i had clk black series which is basically an automatic but it was fun to DD and i enjoyed every 28k miles i put on it. i only took it to the track a few times as my manual porsche was always the track *****
Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

kids, no need to argue or "predict".
just wait, and buy one of everything.
or two of everything.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't worry be happy
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
wanna911
Race Car

please enlighten me as to where I got offended? the only person angry enough to lash out with name calling is you.

Where does this concept about Porsche being some sort of pure, unadulterated sportscar maker for the real enthusiast come from? Porsche originated slick marketing in the 80s with the slantnose and have been nothing more than a marketing machine ever since (look at the 996 which was just a boxster with a flipped transmission and more hp).

The only pure sportscar maker WAS lotus, but they made cars no one bought and are basically out of business in the US with the decision to pull the new exige/elise from our shores.

do you know of anyone who makes 20 inch bias-ply whitewalls?
Go back and read, its not hard to find. I havent referred to any one specifically. And im not referring to anyone here because other than a couple I dont know anything about anyone here. Talk about insecurity. My points are conceptual.

Anywhoo, the 996 one of the winnegest 911 generations there has been. And the 997.1 was a bloated overweight 996 with a body kit and interior. And the apple still hasnt fallen far from the water cooled tree yet in terms of the chassis until the 991. Lol. Hence the reason the 997 got left in the dust by its competitors on the street and in racing. The 996 was about racing and winning races. And thats what it did. The GT3 started with the 996 and the 996 gt3 rs probably the best combination of rawness and refinement Porsche has made. Shared the most parts of any street car with a race car of its era by far.

People hate on the 996 because of the headlights production numbers and first non aircooled motor. The prior being the issues that are leading porsche to build gadget faux racing mobiles now. Because when they focused on rawness and performance all Porschephiles could talk about was why their headlights resembled a boxster and not a 930. Now all of s sudden 2nd tier performance is a priority? Gimme a break.....

Last edited by wanna911; 02-25-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Go back and read, its not hard to find. I havent referred to any one specifically. And im not referring to anyone here because other than a couple I dont know anything about anyone here. Talk about insecurity. My points are conceptual.
I knew you wouldn't be able to point out where anyone other than you got offended and started name calling.

Anywhoo, the 996 one of the winnegest 911 generations there has been. And the 997.1 was a bloated overweight 996 with a body kit and interior. And the apple still hasnt fallen far from the water cooled tree yet in terms of the chassis until the 991. Lol. Hence the reason the 997 got left in the dust by its competitors on the street and in racing. The 996 was about racing and winning races. And thats what it did. The GT3 started with the 996 and the 996 gt3 rs probably the best combination of rawness and refinement Porsche has made. Shared the most parts of any street car with a race car of its era by far.

People hate on the 996 because of the headlights production numbers and first non aircooled motor. The prior being the issues that are leading porsche to build gadget faux racing mobiles now. Because when they focused on rawness and performance all Porschephiles could talk about was why their headlights resembled a boxster and not a 930. Now all of s sudden 2nd tier performance is a priority? Gimme a break.....
I love the way the 996 drives (I had a 996GT2), but I never got used to the looks or the pretty crappy interior. The 997 to me is just a "good looking" 996 with a pretty decent interior, beyond the headlights, they are basically the same car.

I've owned, tracked and raced variously an 87 911, 78 930, 88 930, 89 930, 03 GT2, 96 993 and a 2007 GT3. Porsche makes incredible, awesome, well-engineered cars that are fun to drive. I've owned a couple of M3s and corvettes too, always come back to that rear-engined liveliness.

While I don't love the PDK since you lose some visceral feel, I have driven a 991s with PDK. It's a phenomenal, fun machine like all the past porsches and is as fast as my Gt3 right out of the box.

Porsche and ferrari have basically stopped making manuals because no one buys them. Maybe it's because of all the rich posers you so enjoy denigrating, but porsche couldn't make GT3s without selling some to starbux drinking stockbrokers.

I have three questions for you:
1) have you actually driven a car with PDK on the track? It would be impossible to describe it as boring and no fun. The experience is nothing like xbox whatsoever.
2) should porsche refuse to integrate modern technology that is faster and more efficient for it's track cars?
3) If 15% of people buy porsches with manuals and GT3s are 10% of porsche sales, you are talking about major development costs for 1% to 2% of overall 911 sales - why integrate a slower technology on a trackcar to lose money?

I don't know what all the complaining is about. If you want to go SLOWER on the track and shift your own gears, porsche makes a 911S for you with a 7speed manual.

If you want porsche's best track weapon, buy a GT3 with the best/fastest tech you can get.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Petition