Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 Petition

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Thank god for the 2012 real man GT3. While it's already amazingly pure, we can unruin it even more for you. Just bring it down to our shop and we'll retrofit 4 brake pedals so you can individually control brake force distribution at each wheel like a manly man. Although that may be difficult to do that while using both hands to adjust your new analog dampers at each corner 30 or 40 thousand times per second. We'll also put a 1000 page manual on the passenger seat so you can lookup and tune throttle maps depending on temperature and throttle position.

You are going to be pretty busy, so we may have to install PDK.
I'm good with what I have, but driver skill is not included as an option with PDK, so if you are slow now.........

Maybe Porsche can clone Walter and include him as an option so you can finally get the performance advantage you are looking for.

Or how about they put rails on ever track and we never have to steer or control anything, and moving chicane cup can turn the same lap times as platinum cup. That sounds like fun.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:05 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^huh? You're rambling bro. Take a deep breath and say your point in 3 sentences. Mike
yah maybe, but the petition for manual is legit, this thread is Saturday night live joke by a bunch of PDK fanboys.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

this isn't about the fate of the human race. lighten up....
Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
yah maybe, but the petition for manual is legit, this thread is Saturday night live joke by a bunch of PDK fanboys.
Sometimes its best to express your opinion with your wallet... That is, don't give Porsche the satisfaction of a sale if you don't like what they're offering. I doubt they'll take the time to read a two page mock petition

When enough of them end up at cars and coffee rather than in the hands of enthusiasts and at the track, they'll get the message through a lack of servicing and parts sales
Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 AM
wanna911
Race Car

+1
Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Well said Jumper. Whew. Mods shut this thread down. It's heretical to like PDK. They're all poseurs and worse. I can't use the words I'd like to use, else I'd get banned.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

They tried to make their point Rodsky, they failed... Don't take it to heart...
Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Edit, wrong quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Wow! It's a joke buddy.

I've been driving on the track since the early 90s and my first fast car was a 1978 930 with about 425hp. To drive it fast, you have to threshold brake into a corner without ABS while h/t downshifting with poor synchros that required double cluthing AND keeping the boost up high enough so you dont spin due to trailing throttle snap oversteer. My 2007 gt3 has a LOT more in common with a nissan gtr than a 930 and is like an xbox360 next to all the goings-on in the 930.

Let's tell the truth here, h/t downshifting is the most difficult skill to master (but still only half as hard as the 930 without abs), and you guys are pissed because youve worked so hard at something that is made obsolete by a good computer.

Well the exact same thing happened with abs, no difference whatsoever, but porsche somehow still managed to make amazing, fun, interactive cars.

How many of you refused to buy porsches when they ruined the driver experience by eliminating the skill required to threshold brake with a computer? You guys are computer nerd abs fanbois that should be cussed out and banned from rennlist.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Wow! It's a joke buddy.

I've been driving on the track since the early 90s and my first fast car was a 1978 930 with about 425hp. To drive it fast, you have to threshold brake into a corner without ABS while h/t downshifting with poor synchros that required double cluthing AND keeping the boost up high enough so you dont spin due to trailing throttle snap oversteer. My 2007 gt3 has a LOT more in common with a nissan gtr than a 930 and is like an xbox360 next to all the goings-on in the 930.

Let's tell the truth here, h/t downshifting is the most difficult skill to master (but still only half as hard as the 930 without abs), and you guys are pissed because youve worked so hard at something that is made obsolete by a good computer.

Well the exact same thing happened with abs, no difference whatsoever, but porsche somehow still managed to make amazing, fun, interactive cars.

How many of you refused to buy porsches when they ruined the driver experience by eliminating the skill required to threshold brake with a computer? You guys are computer nerd abs fanbois that should be cussed out and banned from rennlist.
Maybe you are getting old like Walter and need some assistance to get around the track like you used to.

The misconception and cluelessness in your judgements are that because we don't want computers controlling everything we don't like advancements in technology. That is patently false over exaggeration of the issue. Give me a dual reservoir hydraulic independent braking system with cockpit control over abs all day and take that computerized nonsense out. Give me a real mechanical sequential over pdk integrated with all the other nonsense controls all day. Mechanical advancements in auto tech are welcome. Throwing computers controlled nannies to make you think you actually have something to do with why you are going fast is completely different.

Besides I like a car that tells you everything you need to know about the pilot.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
They tried to make their point Rodsky, they failed... Don't take it to heart...
I know my post was tongue in cheek.

This thread is just light hearted, not life and death..

Choices are good..
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
Give me a real mechanical sequential over pdk integrated with all the other nonsense controls all day.
What are the practical advantages of a "real mechanical sequential manual" over PDK for a production car like the GT3 that is going to be driven on the street as well as at the track? Not trying to be argumentative; would just like to hear your opinion......
Old 02-23-2013, 03:54 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
What are the practical advantages of a "real mechanical sequential manual" over PDK for a production car like the GT3 that is going to be driven on the street as well as at the track? Not trying to be argumentative; would just like to hear your opinion......
Weight, driver involvement (required). I'd take Porsche putting oakley faux sequentials in before PDK. I'd also take a Ferrari F1 transmission which is also lighter but more in tune with the driver and fits more with the GT3 mantra.

I blame lazy unauthentic Americans for influencing Porsche too much. The GT3 started off as a track car that you drive on the street. Now it's just like the rest of them, "race inspired" but not race ready. They sent us the .1 GT3 with no sunroof delete option because that's what they think of us. Surely they won't mind faux CL, that have no benefit. Surely they won't mind 20" wheels on their "race car". Just like they didn't mind the .1 RS with bright colors and no more speed than the GT3 we can charge a a lot more for it too.

It's just like most of the people who are talking about the track advantages used to go to the track, or don't go to the track. You can clearly see the guys who are actually out there doing it and passionate about it, posting feedback, data, videos the most and clearly supportive of manual not all opposed to PDK being in the car.

It's the "I wanna look like I' going fast but I'm not going to" cars and coffee crowd, likened to the vast majority of Corvette and Viper guys who like to bench race, but never see the track that are pining for PDK.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Weight, driver involvement (required). I'd take Porsche putting oakley faux sequentials in before PDK. I'd also take a Ferrari F1 transmission which is also lighter but more in tune with the driver and fits more with the GT3 mantra.

I blame lazy unauthentic Americans for influencing Porsche too much. The GT3 started off as a track car that you drive on the street. Now it's just like the rest of them, "race inspired" but not race ready.
You must be a lot of fun at parties. This was intended as a gigantic joke and everyone but you seems capable of interpreting it as such.

You dont like the new GT3, dont buy one.

Back on topic, is it possible to retrofit torsion bars?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I blame lazy unauthentic Americans for influencing Porsche too much. The GT3 started off as a track car that you drive on the street. Now it's just like the rest of them, "race inspired" but not race ready. They sent us the .1 GT3 with no sunroof delete option because that's what they think of us. Surely they won't mind faux CL, that have no benefit. Surely they won't mind 20" wheels on their "race car". Just like they didn't mind the .1 RS with bright colors and no more speed than the GT3 we can charge a a lot more for it too.

It's just like most of the people who are talking about the track advantages used to go to the track, or don't go to the track. You can clearly see the guys who are actually out there doing it and passionate about it, posting feedback, data, videos the most and clearly supportive of manual not all opposed to PDK being in the car.

It's the "I wanna look like I' going fast but I'm not going to" cars and coffee crowd, likened to the vast majority of Corvette and Viper guys who like to bench race, but never see the track that are pining for PDK.
The new PDK-S may address some of your concerns about weight and the way that the transmission operates.

You say "lazy unauthentic Americans" are affecting Porsche too much. I assume you don't mean they are fake Americans, but rather that they are fake American car enthusiasts because they don't hold the "right" values about cars. Anyway, what I've read is that it's actually the American market that is still buying a reasonable percentage of MT's. In Europe and worldwide the overwhelming majority of high performance sports car buyers prefer modern dual clutch gearboxes, which is why almost all of the major European manufacturers have gone that way already. As a company that sells most of it's cars outside the American market, you can see why Porsche might be tempted to do the same thing, even if you disagree.

I wish Porsche would offer PDK and a MT as a choice. But as someone wrote in another thread in the forum: If you like what Porsche is doing with the new GT3, buy it. If you don't, don't buy it and buy an earlier model or something else. But stop whining about it.

We keep talking about choice, and we actually do have one.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-23-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Petition