Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question about allocation/deposit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Question about allocation/deposit

I have had a deposit for a 991 GT3 since last year. All I have from the dealer is a receipt for the amount with a note saying they will sell it @MSRP. Should I be asking them for something more - like an allocation number/slot/date or anything else? Never put a deposit on a car before, so not sure what to expect/ask.

Thanks for any input.
-s
Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience, it's all about the dealer.
Some take the deposit knowing where you are in line, others just to 'lock' you in.
I don't know the bay area dealers well enough to say who you can trust.

Mooty?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sunnyr
I have had a deposit for a 991 GT3 since last year. All I have from the dealer is a receipt for the amount with a note saying they will sell it @MSRP. Should I be asking them for something more - like an allocation number/slot/date or anything else? Never put a deposit on a car before, so not sure what to expect/ask.

Thanks for any input.
-s
Unless you've bought a hard to get car from this dealer before and you trust them with your life, then you have only one single possible way to lock in price and positiom: A buyers order filled out with that specific info and signed by dealer sales manager.

Without that you have nothing....
Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Without being dramatic, I'd say you gave the dealer a promise that you would buy the car from the dealer in exchange for the promise that the dealer would sell you the car when your turn in queue comes. The deposit is fully refundable, so it's just a token. Both you and the dealer can break that unenforceable promise at any time, and while there should be no hard feelings if you do it, if the dealer does it (e.g., sells the car to someone else bumping you down in the queue), it should slightly negatively impact the dealer's reputation if made publicly known. But probably not enough to guarantee this will not happen.

As for any tracking numbers and such - that comes into the picture only after you actually place an order. For now just wait.

I'm in the same position - #2 in line with Sonnen

Regarding the price - it's not firm for either side at this point. You can bargain and so can the dealer when the actual order is placed.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

It's not available to order yet, so there are no allocations, etc. Who knows how many deposits dealers have taken?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
tredirtyfive
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
It's not available to order yet, so there are no allocations, etc. Who knows how many deposits dealers have taken?
+1

why would folks put the deposit when the car isn't official released ... yet we don't even know what spec. on the car..
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Call it right of first refusal.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Without being dramatic, I'd say you gave the dealer a promise that you would buy the car from the dealer in exchange for the promise that the dealer would sell you the car when your turn in queue comes. The deposit is fully refundable, so it's just a token. Both you and the dealer can break that unenforceable promise at any time, and while there should be no hard feelings if you do it, if the dealer does it (e.g., sells the car to someone else bumping you down in the queue), it should slightly negatively impact the dealer's reputation if made publicly known. But probably not enough to guarantee this will not happen.

As for any tracking numbers and such - that comes into the picture only after you actually place an order. For now just wait.

I'm in the same position - #2 in line with Sonnen

Regarding the price - it's not firm for either side at this point. You can bargain and so can the dealer when the actual order is placed.
+1 Nicely summed up, Max. I'd add that if the dealer did try to screw you on price or allocation they would obviously put at risk any further dealings with you as a customer. If you're a multiple repeat customer like I am that would be significant leverage, I'd think.

BTW, I don't know whether you're in line for a GT3 or an RS but I'm also in line at Sonnen; #1 for a GT3.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

BTW, I don't know whether you're in line for a GT3 or an RS but I'm also in line at Sonnen; #1 for a GT3.
GT3 - cannot wait for RS. I'm planning to get rid of my M3 this summer or fall at latest, so will need something to get the track bug out of the system.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a small deposit down in 2008 for a future GT3 that was not even announced at that time to be put into line. Dealer said the deposit is fully refundable until an actual order is made. They said they normally ask for an additional down payment at the time of order. I had a low option build and easy to sell spec (no strange options: unusual exterior color, colored dials, deviated stitching, lots of leather, etc.), so they never asked for any more for a down payment. All around, very good experience.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Made my deposit April 08 and the car arrived April 10, got the first allocation they had and it was one of the first 26 car shipment from Germany.

I never paid anything more until I picked up the car. Just did the same thing with the same sales man.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

I think I am #2 at the Porsche dealership in Fremont. They said they have some one who brought multiple cars from them in front of me - understandable. Will see how it goes. Till now they been very helpful including letting me testdrive multiple PDK cars - cause I am not so sure about the PDK thing.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

heeeheehe

sunnyr. smart move.
best dealer in town, and you sure avoided my FAVORITE.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
+1 Nicely summed up, Max. I'd add that if the dealer did try to screw you on price or allocation they would obviously put at risk any further dealings with you as a customer. If you're a multiple repeat customer like I am that would be significant leverage, I'd think.

some dealers dont care about multiple repeat customer, say 30+ cars .....
see signature
Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
heeeheehe
Haha, I gather you are the #1, congrats .

ps. Do you mind posting/PMing me the reason for your signature about Carlson? Just curious. But it definitely played a part in me not calling them first.

pps. Just saw your second post, guess they bumped you - not cool. Good thing I stayed away.

Quick Reply: Question about allocation/deposit