Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Petition- - 991 gt3 / RS- I want a manual!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PDK for me, can't wait! No flat earth society here.

It'll be the best thing to happen to the GT3/RS for a long time, a game changer and the future.

Happy for the electric steer also, its now a given for future cars.

Jay
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
PDK for me, can't wait! No flat earth society here.

It'll be the best thing to happen to the GT3/RS for a long time, a game changer and the future.

Happy for the electric steer also, its now a given for future cars.

Jay
^Ban...just kidding.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,958 Likes on 2,809 Posts

While we're making this petition, I'd like to add this request to my entry:

Please make a Close-Ratio Manual 7-Speed where 7th gear is a performance gear (top speed at around 8.5k to 9k rpm in top gear) that is not just a manual version of the PDK (with its clumsy shift pattern converter). Of course, we'd all like an improved LSD and the ability to easily change Ring & Pinion and individual ratios (though this would likely be unnecessary if they give us a real Close-Ratio 7M).
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That may be asking a bit much. I doubt they have the confidence in drivers to make them shift more without messing it all up (IE money shift)

I'm wondering why an electronic lockout system can't be implemented to stop money shifts. Over a certain speed now allowing you from 5th to 2nd. Sounds like it should be pretty simple relative to the other tech out today. There are already no lift shift manual options.

Combine no-lift shift and a gear lockout and you may have a winner!!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps some of those German engineers don't understand the difference in english between Pedal and Paddle.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,958 Likes on 2,809 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I'm wondering why an electronic lockout system can't be implemented to stop money shifts. Over a certain speed now allowing you from 5th to 2nd.
Yes, the technology is available. Could be a lockout for each gear (except 7th) that only allows you to access that gate if the motor won't over-rev. Just need to know road speed and the redline road speed for each gear (already known by the computer). The lockout is already used in the 7M in the 991 Carrera - wont allow 7th from any gear other than 5th and 6th (sort of a reverse money-shift protection).
Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill sign that petition too..if it helps..but I would advise you to write directly to Porsche in Germany..not to Porsche USA..if you put it derictly to them at the fatory..things wont got filtered so much...through Porsche US that will just try to give you a "relaxation pill"..

Not that Im against PdK..not at all..but Porsche should just offer both..and let the customer decide by himself.

Now another question: What is the difference to the CL system from the C-GT? Never have I heard about any issues with CL from the C-GT. Im asking, as my mind is still focused on the C-GT..and one day I will have one..but if its like with the 3.8 that parts of the CL have to be changed after 4000miles...at C-GT cost levels..(?)

Just want to be prepared mentally what Im getting into..

PS: about the engine of the 991 GT3..dont take for granted what has been written here by rennlist itself..nobody can really confirm at this stage...and there are other websites saying that the 991 GT3 will just have an updated 9a1 engine..and the word "dry sump" is ambigious..already the current engine (9a1) is proclaimed to be dry sump...

Lets wait and see..but its clear that CL issues are not allowed to happen anymore with the new GT3..Porsche had now 4 years to fix the issue....
Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry, thats an uneven test. Its their entry level package vs on that costs 40% more. The manual will be able to be lighter than pdk and the cup car front and much better balanced aero vs pretty much no aero balance on the black car make that test anything but fair. I would bet the white car has undertray too. And ballast added where needed for even better balance. Still only 1.5 seconds behind. There is probably a second or more in having balanced aero vs slapping a wing on the back at a track like monticello with lots of high speed turns.

And thats a long track to be 2:30 for those cars. Your average size track will see that gap close significantly.

Just pointing out the obvious. Yeah the pdk may still be faster, but those are not equally prepared cars. I would bet less than a half second for equally prepared cars with the manual lighter as it should be.
As you said in the other thread one is more than zero, and whether it's 1.5 seconds or <.5 seconds, PDK is faster here. Look wanna911, I don't want to get into another argument about this. Maybe you're right, maybe not. Maybe the white car has better aero and an undertray, maybe it doesn't. I don't know where they put the ballast. I wasn't there to monitor the test so any of those things are just guesses. I'm just going on Rick DeMan's assertions that the cars were equal besides transmissions, and Nick Longhi's comments about driving the car and the advantages of PDK. Beyond that, I have no opinion to offer on the test. People can make of it what they will.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As you said in the other thread one is more than zero, and whether it's 1.5 seconds or <.5 seconds, PDK is faster here. Look wanna911, I don't want to get into another argument about this. Maybe you're right, maybe not. Maybe the white car has better aero and an undertray, maybe it doesn't. I don't know where they put the ballast. I wasn't there to monitor the test so any of those things are just guesses. I'm just going on Rick DeMan's assertions that the cars were equal besides transmissions, and Nick Longhi's comments about driving the car and the advantages of PDK. Beyond that, I have no opinion to offer on the test. People can make of it what they will.
Maybe it has better aero? And you spent all of this time at the track?

Gimme a break. Do you even know what Cup Car aero is or does? Do you recognize it. It's right there in the video. There are no ifs on the functional portion of the cup aero, you can see it and he describes the aero benefit. The undertray would only add significantly more front DF making it nearly retarded to compare the two regardless of transmission. There is no gray area for you to use as an escape clause this time. This one is cut and dry.

A better built PDK car is faster than a manual car, just like a manual car built to the same specs as the white car would have been faster than the other manual black car by a significant margin.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Maybe it has better aero? And you spent all of this time at the track?

Gimme a break. Do you even know what Cup Car aero is or does? Do you recognize it. It's right there in the video. There are no ifs on the functional portion of the cup aero, you can see it and he describes the aero benefit. The undertray would only add significantly more front DF making it nearly retarded to compare the two regardless of transmission. There is no gray area for you to use as an escape clause this time. This one is cut and dry.

A better built PDK car is faster than a manual car, just like a manual car built to the same specs as the white car would have been faster than the other manual black car by a significant margin.
When I mentioned aero I was referring to the affect of the undertray that you guessed (but don't know) might be in place. I also referred to the ballast that you guessed (but don't know) might have been placed strategically. Other than that, I referred to what the guy who built the cars and the guy who drove them said about them. Believe whatever you like. I truly don't care......
Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Maybe the white car has better aero AND an undertray, maybe it doesn't.
The white car unquestionably has better aero. To be honest, I'd be ok with a manual if it were actually 1.5 seconds slower on a 2:30 second lap. But seeing that this test only proves that the gap is in fact significantly smaller when actual weight potential, aero and track length are factored in. I'd most definitely still take a manual. The gap is VERY small (sometimes none) if you learn how to row gears properly. And that is proven test, after test, after test. People really think they are going to go 3-4-5 seconds faster because of a PDK. It's hilarious actually. You can granny shift and not lose that much time.

This makes the case that the gap is very small even stronger. IMO.

As for ballast, the doors are CF vs , sheetmetal, that is a HUGE reduction in forces outside of the CG. Take that weight and put it down on the floor, and that's optimized enough. Probably has roof, hood and other parts that are well outside of the CG and the weight added back in the cabin. You certainly can't add it back where you took it from. No matter how you look at it. That's advantageous.

Plus for 60k more, there are probably some other goodies in there we don't know about.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

The white car unquestionably has better aero. To be honest, I'd be ok with a manual if it were actually 1.5 seconds slower on a 2:30 second lap. But seeing that this test only proves that the gap is in fact significantly smaller when actual weight potential, aero and track length are factored in. I'd most definitely still take a manual. The gap is VERY small (sometimes none) if you learn how to row gears properly. And that is proven test, after test, after test. People really think they are going to go 3-4-5 seconds faster because of a PDK. It's hilarious actually. You can granny shift and not lose that much time.

This makes the case that the gap is very small even stronger. IMO.
The "maybe it doesn't" part of that sentence was intended to refer to the undertray. My syntax wasn't perfect, but if we start picking posts apart word by word around here, we're all going to be in big trouble. I don't think PDK makes a 3-4-5 second difference on a 2:30 second track; that's obvious. But I think it's quicker by some increment, as do most other testimonials I've read and heard, including the ones in that video. Clearly you disagree and think that the difference isn't significant, especially if it means having to give up the clutch pedal. Those differences of opinion are what keep things interesting, don't you think?

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-21-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Unitah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like a white 991 GT3RS, with traditional manual and clutch pedal.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM
wanna911
Race Car

The "maybe it doesn't" part of that sentence was intended to refer to the undertray. My syntax wasn't perfect, but if we start picking posts apart word by word around here, we're all going to be in big trouble. I don't think PDK makes a 3-4-5 second difference on a 2:30 second track; that's obvious. But I think it's quicker by some increment, as do most other testemonials I've read and heard, including the ones in that video. Clearly you disagree and think that the diference isn't significant, especially if it means having to give up the clutch pedal. Those differences of opinion are what keep things interesting, don't you think?

Yes, but those are the numbers that are always thrown around. 2-4 seconds, ad nauseum. How antiquated and out of style it is to have to actually press in a clutch pedal and shift your own gear. How if the PDK shifts 1/4 - 1/2 of a second faster that's how much faster you will be per lap. Most tracks have at least 5-6 upshifts on the low end, that's 1.5 -3 seconds. On the high end 10-12 upshifts or more, you are looking at 3-6+ seconds. PDK guys taunting people as if they are actually going to go to the track and beat up on the guys driving manual by default.

When all this time, the gap is small, very small to nil actually, and it's still a drivers race. Been saying that for a long time, but the misinformation regarding the speed gap has grown so out of control it's laughable.

Yes, the PDK can pull the manual car on the straight, but entering the braking zone at a higher rate of speed equals longer stopping distances and earlier braking given the same equipment especially given a heavier PDK car.

Works in Porsche"s favor even though they know first hand that the first gen PDK wasn't any faster at the nurburgring than the manual, until they put sport cups on it. And this one isn't much greater. Now they can use a veil of ignorance to force PDK onto Porsche enthusiasts under the guise that people are picking up ZOMG seconds per lap.......

Irritates me greatly......
Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual for me as well. I have a deposit on the 991 GT3 but will cancel if it's PDK only and keep my 997.1 GT3.
PDK= faster on the track and boring on the street.

Quick Reply: Petition- - 991 gt3 / RS- I want a manual!