Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 646 Likes on 202 Posts
Default 3.8L Cayman PDK vs. 3.8L 6 speed at MMC video

Nice 16 min. video with a great drag race scene at the end.

Both cars are equal HP and weight with matching equipment levels.

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice video, tks for sharing.
Also great work with the caymans.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Hey Rick...awesome video...thanks for doing this and posting it. I love those Cayman's! I wonder what a Sebring lap time would be?

I've been DEing a PDK since September 2008. I currently have a GTS w/ PDK and I love love love it. The only questions I have is what kind of maintenance is there for PDK? My GTS is now 1.5 years old and has around 20 DE days on it.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Mike I'm guessing there are a lot more DE days in your GTS before any maintenance is required. Weren't the Napleton Cayman's that won at Daytona PDK cars?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Mike I'm guessing there are a lot more DE days in your GTS before any maintenance is required. Weren't the Napleton Cayman's that won at Daytona PDK cars?
All the GX Class Caymans were 6 speed cars......

Mike, aside from normal oil service on the gear lube side there is not much to do....!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

You've taken the Cayman Interseries spec. and added some really nice twists to it. A great dedicated DE car in either verion IMO. I had the opportunity to drive a CI car at Homestead and was very impressed with the car but my only critique is that it is tight for taller drivers (1.96M) especially coming from a GT3. Are you using the stock CI roll bar design here too?

Thank you for posting and best of luck with your project!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Great video, thanks for posting, I love that Cayman package!
There was never any doubt PDK is faster. What extra cooling did the PDK need?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Probably the cleanest looking Caymans I've ever seen, what a performance package. The tighter gearing in the 7spd PDK certainly gives a slight mechanical hp advantage, but can't argue with Nick's points about driver confidence and consistency.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I had already planned on ordering a PDK for my 991 series GT3...More or less as a transition to get used to this new platform with the paddle shifters and for the eventual purchase of a used 991 RS.

Now if I could just get that .2 RS for the track in the meantime...
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Interesting video and experiment. Both are great looking and the ultimate caymans. The drag race was much closer than what I thought it would be. Given all the carbon bits on the PDK car, what is the weight difference between the manual and PDK? 200lbs? I would have thought the lighter weight PDK-equipped car would have had a larger advantage.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all the kind words,

As it states in the original post, both cars are the exact same weight...

You can clearly see the advantage the PDK car has when the Black 6 speed car shifts gears, it falls back a half a car length..

Originally Posted by 4forme
Interesting video and experiment. Both are great looking and the ultimate caymans. The drag race was much closer than what I thought it would be. Given all the carbon bits on the PDK car, what is the weight difference between the manual and PDK? 200lbs? I would have thought the lighter weight PDK-equipped car would have had a larger advantage.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the clarification. How was the black car brought down to the same weight as the white one with all the carbon goodies. PDK weight penalty is about 55 lbs isn't it? Maybe that is the amount of weight difference of the carbon doors and front?

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Thanks for all the kind words,

As it states in the original post, both cars are the exact same weight...

You can clearly see the advantage the PDK car has when the Black 6 speed car shifts gears, it falls back a half a car length..
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

For racing, no doubt, PDK is the way to go. It's faster and is what the pros need to stay competitive.

But for a hack like me, I'd still rather drive the black one and be a couple seconds slower. Just my preference.

Regardless, both are stunning cars Rick, big kudos for such a nice builds. If I had an extra 140K to blow, I'd buy the black one...it looks incredible.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Mike, aside from normal oil service on the gear lube side there is not much to do....!
Thanks now I need to find a Porsche dealer that has done a PDK lube change. Some I have spoken with have not done this and seem clueless on it. I believe PDK uses 2 different types of lube, right?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Mike,

Yes, it does use an automatic type fluid for the clutches and the valve body, and a standard gear oil for the gears and diff.

For racing and serious track use the diff. Fluid needs to be cooled with an added cooler system as there is no cooling for that fluid.

The clutch fluid has its own cooler from the factory, and I believe the factory says its a "lifetime" fluid... But I would suggest a service interval for race cars...

DeMan Motorsport has designed and perfected additional cooling systems for the PDK and standard 6 speed boxes using Factory race parts utilizing heat exchangers into the cooling system..

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks now I need to find a Porsche dealer that has done a PDK lube change. Some I have spoken with have not done this and seem clueless on it. I believe PDK uses 2 different types of lube, right?

Quick Reply: 3.8L Cayman PDK vs. 3.8L 6 speed at MMC video