Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

For Those Who Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default For Those Who Trailer

I'm curious to know how much gear and tools you have doubles for, ie: one in the trailer and one in the garage. Please share you list.

And for those of you who may be thinking of an enclosed trailer, please visit my trailer diary in the racing & DE forum.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Just went through your trailer diary - very nice!, I'm a mechanical engineer as well I'm doing the same thing (in NX) but with a 20' TPD, guess I need to branch out to other forum areas... Anyway very nice work. Where did you find the outline for the RS, and would you be willing to share... I really like your tire rack option.

I came to the realization that moving tools between the garage and the trailer was not an option especially given the smaller trailer size so no moving the roll-away into the trailer,so I doubled up. I kept it simple - Craftsman - two complete metric sets up to 32mm as of this writing, screw drivers, bit driver with a wide assortment of bits, pliers, etc... really just the standard set. Went with the SnapOn tq-wrench for the CL's and a set of Jackpoint jackstands. GN2 bottle is mounted to the e-track along the wall next to the Raceramps. Pretty basic so far.

And yes the 20' trailer is too small...
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have two complete sets of tools can't stand looking for tools. Built in a large tool box. 48 feet is not big enough, just a couple more feet.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have very few "doubles" but I am working on it
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

A keg of your most favorite beer would be appreciated by all after a hard day's work at the track : ). You should ask Mooty he over supply on everything so just go half what he does. Mike
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by zip465
Just went through your trailer diary - very nice!, I'm a mechanical engineer as well I'm doing the same thing (in NX) but with a 20' TPD, guess I need to branch out to other forum areas... Anyway very nice work. Where did you find the outline for the RS, and would you be willing to share... I really like your tire rack option.

I came to the realization that moving tools between the garage and the trailer was not an option especially given the smaller trailer size so no moving the roll-away into the trailer,so I doubled up. I kept it simple - Craftsman - two complete metric sets up to 32mm as of this writing, screw drivers, bit driver with a wide assortment of bits, pliers, etc... really just the standard set. Went with the SnapOn tq-wrench for the CL's and a set of Jackpoint jackstands. GN2 bottle is mounted to the e-track along the wall next to the Raceramps. Pretty basic so far.

And yes the 20' trailer is too small...
Glad you brought up the JP jack stands. I've got a set as well, and I've grown to love them. However, they are far too heavy for me to want to transfer them each race weekend, so my plan is to leave them in the trailer.

I dislike having to spend $$$ to double up on these. Especially as I have customized my floor jack to perfectly nest the JP hats.

I'm wrestling with this the most, since the JP stands are now just one component in a larger system, ie: my custom floor jack. Not to mention the cordless impact wrench.

It's a pretty big investment to double up on these 3 items. The sockets, ratchets, wrenches & screwdrivers are relatively cheap by comparison. Unless you're buying Snap-on or some other $$$ tools. ;-)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
A keg of your most favorite beer would be appreciated by all after a hard day's work at the track : ). You should ask Mooty he over supply on everything so just go half what he does. Mike
Mooty is clinically insane. Last fall he bought 4 huge (or was it 6?) Snap-on tool boxes! What the hell do you do with all of them? Use them in a kitchen instead of traditional cabinets? Or, maybe he's starting a race team?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
I have very few "doubles" but I am working on it
right on
should I put a THIRD snap on box into ur trailer?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

I should have my trailer in a few weeks, and I do not plan (yet) on doubling up. I have two back-breaking steel jacks in my garage, one of which will live in the trailer. I plan to get a big tool chest and strap it to a hefty dolly - roll it in and out of the trailer and secure it with etrack. Maybe attach some kind of "bucket" or holder on the side of it - like an umbrella stand - for breaker bar, torque wrench etc. Like you, not sure what to do about jack stands. I don't want or need two sets of those and neither does my wallet...so hopefully there will be an easy and efficient way to get those from garage to trailer. I have grown to love my JP jack stands and don't see myself using cheaper stands at the track.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I try to keep everything on wheels... roll in-roll out. loading up all tools canopy, chairs, coolers etc takes about 30-40min to load and strap. may take longer, now that i have to 24 more feet in the trailer. lol
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
right on
should I put a THIRD snap on box into ur trailer?
no...

Also, new jackstand alternative that may be more trailer friendly offered by a shop in WA
http://www.cantrellmotorsport.com/in...art&Itemid=117
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by chasen1211
I try to keep everything on wheels... roll in-roll out. loading up all tools canopy, chairs, coolers etc takes about 30-40min to load and strap. may take longer, now that i have to 24 more feet in the trailer. lol
dude, by the time you load up both our RS and all the crap we got, with help of joey, it will take you 2.5 hours. that's if you moved fast.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 AM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that was a off day.... had to bleed brakes and load up, doesnt count.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is how I handle the situation w/o doubling up on tools. I built a frame out of 80/20 Aluminum to hold my upper tool box. This allows my lower tool box to roll out and makes it more accessible when working on my car in the garage. Additionally I simply roll it into the trailer when heading to the track.
Attached Images    
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Here is how I handle the situation w/o doubling up on tools. I built a frame out of 80/20 Aluminum to hold my upper tool box. This allows my lower tool box to roll out and makes it more accessible when working on my car in the garage. Additionally I simply roll it into the trailer when heading to the track.
That's very cool. I need to upgrade. I have cabinents in my 24' Featherlite, but I schlep my tools in and out. I like how you have the cabinet secured against your exisiting cabinet.

Quick Reply: For Those Who Trailer