Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Winter Lapping Day in our RS 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Winter Lapping Day in our RS 3.8

Since taking delivery of our 3.8 RS last October, I've been anxiously hopping from foot to foot waiting for a track day. Here in the Seattle area, the track season is mostly shut down for the Winter and track junkies are stuck with Xbox, indoor karting and trolling Rennlist. The withdrawal is not pretty.

Well, it's been dry for a while here in the Northwest and one of our local lapping groups had a day at The Ridge Motorsports Park. So, off we went and Shay and I shared the car during the day.

The day started at 34 degrees with a cold, damp, and slippery track. No matter and OH MY, it took only a couple of laps to forget about the weather. The RS is so much fun, thrilling, engaging, and so easy to drive compared to our 996 GT3.

As the day went along, the track dried out and we could pick up the pace a bit, but at a high of 37 degrees, we were grip challenged most of the day, but what fun!

Reflecting on the day, the contrast from our 996 GT3 to the RS is striking: the steering feels lighter, the extra power is a hoot, the gearing difference is highly entertaining, and the PCCB's only need the lightest touch of your big toe to bring the car down from speed.

The GMG exhaust is EPIC. The guy who runs the lunch-time BBQ at the track came over to me at one point when Shay was out and said, "it sounds like the Bullet Racing Cup car, just a bit quieter."

Here are a few pictures from the day:

- curt
Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I so want to see your new car in person soon enough. Am also anxious to get out there. Just changed to PSS from R compound Corsas for our wet weather in the PNW. Had coolant fittings welded last week along with new sharkwerks oil exchanger fittings. Trying to be a good citizen.
Look forward to seeing you and Shay again.
Peter
Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Montreal Red
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love the color scheme on your RS. those yellow PCCBs and hub caps really pop on your car. good to see that your wife enjoys tracking as well... i am trying to convince mine to start driving her WRX STI on the track as well. any tips ?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car looks great, next we need some video
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Thanks about the colors - the yellow is good on this car in the grey weather we have much of the time!

I wish I could help you with the wife. We met at a track event and Shay is very passionate about Porsche and driving! We're getting married soon!

Originally Posted by Montreal Red
love the color scheme on your RS. those yellow PCCBs and hub caps really pop on your car. good to see that your wife enjoys tracking as well... i am trying to convince mine to start driving her WRX STI on the track as well. any tips ?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by curtsm
Since taking delivery of our 3.8 RS last October, I've been anxiously hopping from foot to foot waiting for a track day. Here in the Seattle area, the track season is mostly shut down for the Winter and track junkies are stuck with Xbox, indoor karting and trolling Rennlist. The withdrawal is not pretty.

Well, it's been dry for a while here in the Northwest and one of our local lapping groups had a day at The Ridge Motorsports Park. So, off we went and Shay and I shared the car during the day.

The day started at 34 degrees with a cold, damp, and slippery track. No matter and OH MY, it took only a couple of laps to forget about the weather. The RS is so much fun, thrilling, engaging, and so easy to drive compared to our 996 GT3.

As the day went along, the track dried out and we could pick up the pace a bit, but at a high of 37 degrees, we were grip challenged most of the day, but what fun!

Reflecting on the day, the contrast from our 996 GT3 to the RS is striking: the steering feels lighter, the extra power is a hoot, the gearing difference is highly entertaining, and the PCCB's only need the lightest touch of your big toe to bring the car down from speed.

The GMG exhaust is EPIC. The guy who runs the lunch-time BBQ at the track came over to me at one point when Shay was out and said, "it sounds like the Bullet Racing Cup car, just a bit quieter."
Do you have GMG headers or just bypass?

Are you tracking on MPSC or MPSS in such cold weather?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey Curt - glad you're enjoying the new 7.2 RS with Shay. You guys are a lovely couple and glad that you will be tying the knot soon! Car looks beautiful.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:52 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

great looking car.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
Do you have GMG headers or just bypass?
I have the bypass.

Are you tracking on MPSC or MPSS in such cold weather?
MPSC. It wasn't too bad on the Cup tires, and it was fun as the track was consistent and easy to drive. The Ridge is a new track and the asphalt is grippier than an older track.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Match made in heaven on a bunch of levels :-)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

I have the bypass.

MPSC. It wasn't too bad on the Cup tires, and it was fun as the track was consistent and easy to drive. The Ridge is a new track and the asphalt is grippier than an older track.
Thanks curt!

The Ridge looks to be a great track - the design and the use of the topography seem to outdo Atlanta Motorsports Park in my neck of the woods.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats again to both you and Shay. Despite the cold it was a really great day and your new toy looked and sounded wonderfull

I tried to follow you for a couple laps to learn your lines and listen to that wonderful engine, that little exercise resulted in some some decent video but I sure wish I could have gotten a bit closer.

Last edited by karmx7; 01-23-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fix Youtube link
Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Thanks Keith!

Also, it's great to see video of our new RS on the first day at the track

Next time we're out together let me know you'd like to stay together and we can go out and play

Originally Posted by karmx7
Congrats again to both you and Shay. Despite the cold it was a really great day and your new toy looked and sounded wonderfull

I tried to follow you for a couple laps to learn your lines and listen to that wonderful engine, that little exercise resulted in some some decent video but I sure wish I could have gotten a bit closer.
- curt
Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Peter! It is amazing on so many levels!

- curt

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Match made in heaven on a bunch of levels :-)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 AM
karmx7
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Next time we're out together let me know you'd like to stay together and we can go out and play

- curt
I'll take you up on that offer, the only issue is that we'll need to attach one of these to your car so I can keep up!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Winter Lapping Day in our RS 3.8