Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Live Feed in car Video from COTA

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Evo997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Thanks for the great shot man, if your interested I will put you on the guest list again for the event Feb 1,2,3
Yeah, put me down for guest list, I would like to also go to and cover MVP track event.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Done sir! Your shots are great I would like to talk a little and see if you can capture some specific images. I'll see about getting you access.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the video Evo997! I had left all my camera gear at home, so it was wonderful to see your videos.

Originally Posted by Evo997
Spotted you Vonschmidt! Additionally, I have some footage of 2 Porsche GT3 RSs going around COTA. I believe Von is tailing them in one shot...Shots taken at turn 20.
I'm not sure who the two drivers are, please share. So much more footage to upload.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Jenks - I'm looking forward to running with you again. Last time was the most fun I have had running in a group at Road America ever. Definitely bring some R6's with you. I summarized my perspective of COTA turn by turn for some other friends that will be attending the MVP COTA event. Best I could manage was 2:30 a few times, but I think there is another 5 seconds of improvement in there for me. See below;

Track observations:
T1 is faster than I thought, stay in the middle of the track coming into the corner and you need to brake before the crest, if not you will miss the apex as you lose alot of grip as your car crests the hill. I down shifted from 5th and took it in 2nd gear most times (3rd if wet). Late apex and full throttle downhill crossing from far right to mid-far left track into T2.
T2 is a generic sweeper to the right with a bit of camber to help hold your line where you can use throttle steer to keep on the edge of grip, shift thru 3rd and 4th in prep to T3.

T3 thru T10 are the most technical sector and will be the best opportunity to improve lap times.

T3 is a left hand start of the esses. The esses aren't as tough as i originally thought. you will have to lift or brake depending on how aggressive you attack entry of T3. The approach is blind, you can use different techniques, I seemed to be fastest taking it slightly wide and straightening the arc into T4, touching brakes and setting up for T5/6. Others were apexing T3 and straight lining T4/5.
T6 is a right hand turn and is key for setting up T7 which is a tight 90 degree left. Stay mid track and apex late ( very, very late, as in no not yet....touch the gator at the END of the turn). T6 has elevation in mid turn resulting in good visibility at the start of the turn that becomes a blind approach and camber falling away where you need to apex. Stay track right and dive hard across the track for apex. Use all of the red and white gator of T7.
You will continue to gain elevation thru T8-10. T8 is very similar to T6, I used same strategies but much earlier apex since the turn isn't as sharp and maintains camber. It is critical that you do not overdrive this corner. This is a slow corner to setup T9-10 to give you optimum track/car position and angle for early throttle input and maximum acceleration thru T9 and beyond. You crest right after T9 which will give you slight understeer as the track starts to fall away (especially when track is wet or cold) so leave yourself some track on exit of T9 to compensate.
T10 is a fast down hill sweeper to the left with slight camber loss. You are again full throttle as this is the start of the fastest track sector. Move from track right to left, touch the gator to maximize exit speed and use all the track to setup for T11.
T11 is the entry onto the fastest part of the track so it is crucial to get an early drive thru the turn. I like to brake late, stay far right into T11, late turn in, hard apex, and full throttle down the long straight into T12. I was hitting 160mph and braking at 200'. However there is plenty of safety built into my brake point. You could wait until 150' to brake if you want to be more aggressive and reach a higher top speed just watch for traffic that may do something unexpected because closing speeds between the RS and other cars beginning to brake at 300' can be 100mph delta.
T12 is similar to T11 with late turn in. Use all the track at exit to the right and cross back to left for T13.
T13 is a tight right hander and the start of a double apex with T14. Honestly I had the most trouble consistently finding a smooth line thru T13. it seems like there is very little trackout to the left which feels like I have to overbrake and kill the monentum to stay on the track and then feather throttle mid turn to regain speed for T14.
T14 is a right hand flat corner with lots of grip. I'm full throttle from exit of T13 to T15. Hit the apex of T14, straight line from T14 apex to back of T15. Do not go all the way around the outside of T15. T15 is same as T12, late turn in and use all the gators at apex.
After T15 you start down the short straight to the double apex carousel which is very fast (T16-18).
For T16 stay mid track at entry and late apex, so you can stay on gas and track out to left through T17, full throttle after T17, through T18 apex, track out after T18 as it starts downhill flat out into braking zone of T19.
T19 is faster than it looks, cross from track out after T18 to track right for left hand turn. This is a straightforward turn but has a blind approach coming into it, apex and use all the track to keep up momentum onto short straight into T20.
T20 is the same as T11,T12, and T15. Late turn in, hit gators at apex and hard acceleration down the front straight into T1.

An RS specific point; The oem gearing for the RS is not optimal for COTA, both KY and I found ourselves hitting redline and having to upshift into the next gear which of course requires an extra downshift coming into the corner with a few hundred feet of straight left coming into a corner (5th for the final stretch of the front straight, coming into the essences into 4th, into 4th for T11, and having to shift from 3rd to 4th at the apex of T18 since you are accelerating hard from exit of T17, and finally the short straight leading into T20. It would improve lap times if each of those gears was slightly taller 3rd and 4th gear saving an extra upshift and downshift for those corners.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Nice pickup with the Q7. I may have to pick up some Hoosiers to keep up with you guys so I follow behind and keep up to learn the track
Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Aww man, thanks for the notes. Now I need to really memorize the corners.

I love the RS but the non RS cars always seem to be better geared for a lot of tracks, and better for me is just less shifting
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo997
I have footage of you BartN and the Blue GT3RS...I will post later.
^^^ tap.....tap.....tap......

Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Evo997
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Done sir! Your shots are great I would like to talk a little and see if you can capture some specific images. I'll see about getting you access.
Alright, sounds good!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Evo997
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4forme
Thank you for the video Evo997! I had left all my camera gear at home, so it was wonderful to see your videos.
No problem! A few more shots of you guys. If you want a high-Res or copy without my sign I can email them.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 PM
CKit
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Gorgeous!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Evo997
Advanced

Here is another video of several GT3s. BartN, there are a few shots of you.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Great vid
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Great video shots. Well done.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 774 Posts

Fantastic!
Tragic that we have to leave windows down except for a few intelligent organizations like PCA Nord..
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Can't wait to get out there. Thanks
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Evo997
Advanced

Thanks! The reason some shots are shaky is because I'm literally balancing top of metal guard rails lined near the fence. I will bring my monopod next time for steadier panning.

Quick Reply: Live Feed in car Video from COTA