Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

I just like all the carbon bits....
Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, the GT3 RS is a .1. The little kid in me just liked the looks of it better than the later ones.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:42 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P Long shakin it dowm at Miller

Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I agree the .1RS look great...good choice!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday, I crossed paths with a white GT2, maybe RS, bearing large number 27, in Philadelphia suburbs. Anybody here?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had true talent the GT2 RS would be the one to have...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Collector, appreciate and understand your point of view. I LOVE to own nice stuff, stuff that is functional and purposeful.

BTW, no "proverbial *****" required to go to the track, quite the opposite really. Try it if you haven't, if you get a chance. Helping these cars stretch their legs can be quite rewarding and even helpful in your day-to-day driving.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed - tracking improved my street driving quite a bit.
becomes even more of a walk in the park.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
CKit
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a friend that collects guitars. I always felt that he might appreciate them more than just for their aesthetics and history if he knew how to play...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I assure you that they all get driven and I enjoy the hell out of each of them, just not on the track.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

I am glad to see that our community continues to grow and that we are accepting of the many variations that the fantasy of Porsche ownership possesses. I'm sure many of us would love to have 2 or 3 other label cars that would make our garage look like a showroom, but for the funding these would be dreams come true.

I apreciate the collector vision of car ownership, in fact I bought my GT2 courtesy of such an individual that kept the car pristine and spared no expense making it the perfect platform for us to work from. There are days when I wonder if I am not doing the car justice by driving it so hard on a track, and then I remember that life is not a dress rehearsal and that the car was trully made for driving and it all comes back in focus. I also am very happy that we have in some ways maintained the collectors vision by converting the car tot he best track car it can be.

I would offer my admiration to any and all who daily drive, collect, admire, or track the Porsche we are a brotherhood.

Finally specifically to Secret Collector I know the track is not for everyone and you mention a large metal reservation about entering the ring. Might I make a suggestion which would be to put a few of your friends together and lets rent the Track at Circuit of The Americas, truck in your cars, and I'm sure we can pay Dave and a couple of other professional coaches to join us and as a group you can drive a brand new world class F1 track which is so well designed its perhaps the most forgiving track I have had the pleasure of driving. You could as a group experience track driving at your pace without pressure and you might just find why it's soo addicting.

No I don't think a standard DE track day would work for you but this experience in the first year is just what you need on a bucket list IMHO.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 PM
gpennington
Intermediate

Thanks for sharing these view points. I have been fortunate to have owned many Porsches. I have also had the opportunity to participate in DE's, PCA Club Races, and ALMS events at the best tracks in the USA. So I can see it from both perspectives. I have owned two GT2's. I share some of the author's perspective on the GT2 RS. In 2011, I purchased a GT3RS and a GT2RS. Both new cars from my dealer. I had a cup car that I was racing, so I didnt need to track either car. However, I drove each on the street. When I sold them, the GT3RS had around 2000 miles, and the GT2RS had around 900 miles. These were not daily drivers, and not the limit of my collection, so they were not driven often.

For me, the GT2RS was about the exclusivity. Buying one of these cars new is not easy. It took lots of work and dealing to buy it, at MSRP. But more than that, it was true art. A beautiful car. All Black, black wheels. I could sit and stare at it in my garage for hours. The lines were beautiful. The local PCA club loved the car, and many people got to enjoy its beauty. To drive, it was much more refined than the more physical experience of the GT3RS. It was quiet, but you could always hear the turbos spool up and whistle at you. The acceleration on the car was wonderful. I'm a good shifter, but I could never shift from 1st to 2nd quick enough in this car.

I would have loved to have kept this car long term. However, I learned the hard way with my 2008 GT2, that most of the Porsche world does not place long term value on these cars. I kept that one too long, and lost a ton. To prevent that, I sold the GT2RS within the year. However, i'm watching and waiting. The price will be right again, to find a low mileage car to place in the garage for the long term.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Quick Reply: The GT2 RS, a different perspective