Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The GT2 RS, a different perspective

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 174 Posts

Boy, I'd like to get my hands on 1 of the dozen owned by these enthusiasts. I wonder why you would own 2, of the same car? Why not put it next to a Mp4 or a 458 to spice things up?? Just wondering...
J
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

The CGT is a supercar and sheer nirvana to drive. If you want to go very fast in a straight line you can get a turbo s and try the launch control. I have owned about 15 Porsche turbos and I have never owned a GT2 or GT2RS. I was offered the first 08 GT2 in LA @ 50k over MSRP...glad I passed on that one.

I think the 4.0RS is the keeper!!! This site is great because different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To OP,

Thank you for an interesting perspective on the GT2 RS.

With respect, I'm finding some difficultly aligning your statement here about owning 2 GT2 RS cars, with your recent thread(s) ref an on-going search for the same car!

Did you purchase 2 units in the past month, or so ?

If you did, and that certainly seem to be the case, a HUGE congrats to you, sir, is in order!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

+1 for above hence the need for pics. IMHO the 4.0 will be the more desired Porsche over time as it is the LAST iteration of the 997 and more importantly the legendary Metzger engine.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by secretcollector
As some of you may know, I joined RL about three months ago. Somehow, in spite of collecting Porsche Turbos for nearly 25 years, I never came across this site (although I'm not a big internet person). In this time, I have read with great interest on a wide variety of topics here, and made a few posts in search of cars and opinions to get a feel for the community. Without reservation, the members have been friendly, intelligent and engaging - thank you all!

I have followed with great interest the various discussion surrounding the GT2 RS and would like offer a different perspective here. Please understand that I am in no way dismissing any other opinion as less than valid, merely offering another one. Mine comes from owning more than 30 Turbos, every factory variation, most of the serious tuners - Ruf (yes, real ones with Ruf Vins), DP Motorsports, Gemballa - and most importantly to this post, two GT2 RS's.

My sense in following the discussions is that most of the RL members are track people, which I seriously applaud as I just don't have the proverbial ***** for it. I also sense that almost everyone who has written about this car has neither owned one nor driven one. For those that do own this car, track performance is essentially irrelevant. With a few exceptions, these cars will never be near the track. They are owned by collectors, of both Porsches and other marques like McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc... They are much more likely to be driven to a second home on the weekend, or the country club for dinner, then on the road at 100 mph+ (if they're driven at all). For me and those I know well, it's about the combination of street fun, design, rarity and the intangible pleasure of just knowing it's in the garage.

How do I know this? Well, I own two and close friends own another dozen. That alone is more than 10% of the US production. Add in friends of friends and you're nearing half of all US cars. This is real, firsthand experience with those have written checks for these cars. Once again, though, it doesn't make my opinion any better, just different.

The GT2 RS is the most advanced car Porsche has ever built. The turbo lag is so minimal that you can hardly call it as such. The balance, agility, braking and feel on the road is perfect. The styling is aggressive yet way more subtle than the GT3 RS or most supercars. And speaking of supercars, for those are what the owners of these compare them to, it outperforms most of them in nearly every category, has better fit and finish, and is certainly much more dependable. Is this car fast? Hell yes. Supercar fast and frankly, even dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced or ego-heavy driver.

Some like the carbon fiber body components aesthetically, others not so much. I do, that's just me. The interior, especially in the black and red, is fun, different and just what a car like this should have, but again, not for everyone. It has just enough creature comforts to be drivable on the street for a while, but not too many as to lose the RS ethos.

As for valuation, no doubt the MSRP is expensive but let's put it in context: only 500 were built and a few are already dead and buried (and I'm sure a few more will be over time). They're trading at about 10% below MSRP when actual buyers and sellers get together, which puts them generally in the $230-250,000 range today. In the supercar realm, they're actually inexpensive. They're even arguably inexpensive (or how about under-valued) in the Porsche world when compared to a the CGT (1270 or so built) and the 4.0 RS (600 built).

I assure you that I have no vested interest in promoting this car - I'm only a buyer, not a seller. In fact, I hope that the consensus opinions I've read here come true and these cars start trading in the sub $170,000 range - I'll buy every good one!

I'm sure this will stir some discussion; hopefully it is enjoyable reading from the non-track side of the tracks!

Have a nice evening everyone.
Hello Secretcollector,

First of all, thank you for such a nice review and that you took the time for this. I am with you on everthing that you write.

Let me "support" you with a few things.

1) GT2RS - track. yes, fully agree, most GTL2RS will spend the rest of their lives in heated garages..this is also what is part of the supercar myth..thats to a certain degree also good. Like this, the cars will be saved for future generations..when my GT2 occassionally sees a track..I feel already a bit bad..and soon I think it will go into "track-retirement"

2) turbo lag - fully agree - I have posted here a few times that I drove the GT2RS - as you say, there is no turbo lag..its like a GT3 !!..the difference being that the Rpm band is cut off at a certain point..it doesnt go to 8500..that is for me the ONLY downside of this car - otherwise ist better than any GT3 (again, I have to admit I dont know the 4.0).

3) Performance..everything already said..still holds the Nürburging record of the german car magazine sport auto with 7:24..aventador, Mp4-12 couldnt beat that - despite flappy gearbox etc..the reason was simply weight.

4) Prices - 170,000$..I would buy one immediately for this price. I doubt that it would get there..maybe in 5 years..but we will see. Youre right, people are forgetting that only 500 were build. About 1300 2.7RS were built..they were more 2.7RS built by Porsche thent 4.0 and 2RS together - in this in a globilsed world today!!!!...people - dont forget this. What does that mean? I think there will come a time when GT2RS prices will have doubled from what they are today..its one the last real supercars, besides the C-GT..its maybe the last real 911 (besides 4.0), the last 911 GT with GT1 engine block (besides 4.0). If one looks at the prices of 2.7RS..and if one would continue with the same price logic, then any 4.0L oor 2.RS will/must be worth more than a 2.7RS in 15-20 years. I personally from my point of view, predict that prices will drop a bit in the next 5-7 years..and will explode afterwards..because the more we get hybrid and artifical feeling in cars, the more will the value of these things will go up.

Thank you again for your post here and congratulations to your GT2RS. I own a GT2..so something very similar.

I´ll write you a PM since a have a few more words for you..of praise for the GT2RS..and I know one owner here in Europe too.

All the best and keep the beast in good health
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,373 Likes on 635 Posts

when space and money align my garage will have both another GT3RS (sold both of them) and a GT2RS. Great cars, last of the great manual transmissions too- most people fail to mention other than a.928 that the 991 and newer cars don't even have real 6 speeds anymore...just some weird "pdk" manual bastardized tranny.

always funny to see people saying that the 400-450hp GT3 is "faster" than a GT2 or GT2RS...I'll take the GT2RS any day if there was a competition. That being said I don't drive street cars on the track anymore...just real race cars (fire systems, roll cages, halo seats, 2+3 way adjustable shocks)

but hey we all have our own little soap boxes, right?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My intention with this post was merely to offer a different perspective on the GT2 RS, not in any way to boast of my collection. It is a shame if anyone would read it that way.

I did acquire a second GT2 RS last month, although not through or because of any post made here. I bought it because it will allow me to keep the mileage very low on my original one and because I feel that they're under-valued in the grand scheme of things. However, based upon the advice (and urging) of the members here, I did last week acquire a GT3 RS (my first ever naturally aspirated Porsche) through a post made here, for which I am quite pleased.

I'm sorry to say that I don't possess a single picture, even on my iPhone, of any car that I own - just not my style I suppose.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Understandable. For those not in the know, the new iphone 5 has an delete option for the camera (similar to the sunroof delete option). Weighs about 1 oz less but completely worth it. I have 2 versions now and will be getting the 3rd later this week.

Originally Posted by secretcollector
My intention with this post was merely to offer a different perspective on the GT2 RS, not in any way to boast of my collection. It is a shame if anyone would read it that way.

I did acquire a second GT2 RS last month, although not through or because of any post made here. I bought it because it will allow me to keep the mileage very low on my original one and because I feel that they're under-valued in the grand scheme of things. However, based upon the advice (and urging) of the members here, I did last week acquire a GT3 RS (my first ever naturally aspirated Porsche) through a post made here, for which I am quite pleased.

I'm sorry to say that I don't possess a single picture, even on my iPhone, of any car that I own - just not my style I suppose.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Secret Collector's post is not only his point of view, it is also probably very accurate. While I neither have nor have driven a GT2RS (I am not fond of turbocharged cars) I do understand the connoisseurship of his position and recognize that many of the limited production models are purchased by those who appreciate the cars for various reasons. For more than sixty years, Porsche has produced cars nominally for the track that have been purchased instead by those who appreciated them for other reasons. 550 Spyders, 356 Carrera GTs, all the iterations of the RS - many of the best ones extant were 'gently used' in the day. Many of us 'justify' our obsession with these cars by recognizing their investment potential. What is interesting about the cars designed for the track is that they have held their value much better than merely limited production models. The 73RS and the 74 3.0RS were both homologation cars and they have been extraordinarily good 'investments'. That they could be driven - whether to the country house, to the track, or on vintage rallies - makes them even more enjoyable.

What makes the GT2RS unusual is that, as far as I know, it was not based on a race car, unlike the GT3RS or the 4.0 - cars of which I am a great fan. I do agree, however, than the GT2RS, the 4.0 and the other last of the Metzger motor and the manual transmission cars will prove to be important. They will not be the fastest, nor likely the most powerful. But they may prove to have been the most visceral and transparent and direct - the last of the 'analog' cars and, possibly, like the four cam 356s may prove to be sought after by later generations.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM
turbodickie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

secret collector: Nice post, I am in agreement with you. I have had 29 turbo Porsches and own GT2RS #455. So far this is the best Porsche that I have owned or driven. Mine isn't a garage queen and sees regular street use.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:45 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
when space and money align my garage will have both another GT3RS (sold both of them) and a GT2RS. Great cars, last of the great manual transmissions too- most people fail to mention other than a.928 that the 991 and newer cars don't even have real 6 speeds anymore...just some weird "pdk" manual bastardized tranny.

always funny to see people saying that the 400-450hp GT3 is "faster" than a GT2 or GT2RS...I'll take the GT2RS any day if there was a competition. That being said I don't drive street cars on the track anymore...just real race cars (fire systems, roll cages, halo seats, 2+3 way adjustable shocks)

but hey we all have our own little soap boxes, right?
That coming from you CJ means alot. Given that you have owned quite a nice collection of cars and have a very good knowledge of driving.

To me, the GT2RS is the King of the 911's, followed by the 4.0 RS then the GT2.

I had this discussion with my mates from college the other day. It was about 2 years since we had seen each other since we left school, and we are all car guys, and we came to that conclusion. The car to have for the ages, is the CGT . This is the last, v10,na, manual gearbox,carbon fiber body, chassis, transverse suspension axle suspension, hyper car, no nanny's, blah blah. The CGT is THE LAST of a driver demanding hyper car that we will probably ever see. followed by the GT2rs. The 2rs just has a presence like no other modern 911.

The CGT in in 50 years from now, will command a premium x 100. Followed by a GT2RS. Those two cars, are the ones to have in my garage, if i had $.

To add to it. The GT2rs is so rare, even here in the silicon valley. I have only seen 1. From what I'm told, my company's CEO has one along with a red cgt. Good man.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

kudos to you, nothing wrong with collecting - the track is not for everyone

I just hope that one day I get the chance to ride in a GT2RS. if I get to drive one, even better!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

nice post OP. now get out there and drive those things!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM
hesperus
Racer

just to throw up a counterpoint.

the GT2RS is a lovely car. i adore it. wish one day to be so lucky to own one.

BUT if you strip away its rarity and the fact it is a limited edition car, experience for experience, if it were me, i would prefer a 997.2 RS over a GT2RS.

of course the performance of the GT2 RS is on another planet, but as i've gotten older, its more about the experience than the actual numbers.

again, different strokes for different folks.

disclaimer: i don't own a GT2 RS, but have driven one of the "000/500" pre production units during a Porsche event, as I write for a motoring publication once in a while. while it certainly is far less "laggy" than most turbo cars, objectively speaking the GTR (yes yes i know, why bring that car up again,) is the most lag-less turbo i've driven.

and back to the point, the throttle response, character and sound of the GT3 motor is head and shoulders above any boosted Mezger.

NOT knocking the car... it is squarely in my top "wish list" of cars to one day have. but the GT3 RS 3.8 still takes it for me (never mind a 4.0 which obviously is the holy grail of modern 911's in my book)

and the reality is, most people fortunate enough to own one of these things-- let alone two-- is likely also in a position to own a GT3 RS beside it!

congrats on the car, and thanks for sharing.

anyway, a few pics i took back in 2010...

Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Great write up.

I assume the black RS you recently purchased was a 997.1?

Quick Reply: The GT2 RS, a different perspective