Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Over Rev Report - seeking assistance

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM
TRGG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all thanks for all the replies. This is a 2007 GT3 with about 30k miles. The car is currently CPO'ed until Sep. 2013.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is from a dealer, have them add an additional CPO. Have them do a leak down. Internally the valves are what take the hit.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
if it is from a dealer, have them add an additional CPO. Have them do a leak down. Internally the valves are what take the hit.
Not necessarily. That's ONLY IF the valvetrain has already been thrown out of whack by the overrev and valveslap has occured. And when that happens the engine won't be running as it is!!

I'd be more concerned about crank bearings, piston rings, variocam integrity and other slowly developing, "chronic" problems. I'd say an oil sample analysis is a better gauge of these issues. Look for fuel blow-by, bearing grease and metal particulates in the report. Better yet? An oil analysis is much cheaper than a full leak-down test.

No affiliation, just a happy customer:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CRex
Not necessarily. That's ONLY IF the valvetrain has already been thrown out of whack by the overrev and valveslap has occured. And when that happens the engine won't be running as it is!!

I'd be more concerned about crank bearings, piston rings, variocam integrity and other slowly developing, "chronic" problems. I'd say an oil sample analysis is a better gauge of these issues. Look for fuel blow-by, bearing grease and metal particulates in the report. Better yet? An oil analysis is much cheaper than a full leak-down test.

OK: have them do that and the leak down. The seller can hope to sell to someone else. The buyer can always set the terms and walk.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

No certification for this car.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:42 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CRex

Yes, Crex, even the Porsche procedure says that - again - it is required to do this for any warranty claims..so if youre coming with your GT3 to the dealer and ask for a repair of a small issue - they will first check the overrevs. The Porsche procedure clearly says:
1) Leak down and compression test to be done, report to be attached to the electronic file
2) analyse oil sample, report + picture to be attached to the electronic file
3) plus a few other smalls things
4) Clarify with factory..and if the things are OK - then Porsche can give a new warranty. By the way, in this case with an entry max at level 4 its no problem anyway. I know of one car - however a GT2 - so lower revs - with 1 entry at 6.(so 1 ignition at 6) - engine was partly taken apart and no damage found. The entry was also 40,000Km ago..so if the engine would have taken a hit it would have manifested already.

Think of the GT3 CUPS..how many entries would they have? and how often do they change/re-condition engines? They can last for 2 seasons or even longer with numerous entries in 5, 6 whatever.

Again, im not saying its good..but if these things are verified by the official dealer..then it should be OK. The risk is then on the dealers side and not yours.

If one finds exactly the same car, same colour, same optins etc without entries..of course it would be better..
Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM
TRGG
Rennlist Member

Hello All,

Thanks again for all the replies. They have been really helpful!

A little background on this car: It's a 2007 GT3 with 30k miles. Car is CPO'ed before the current owner purchased it, and the warranty lasts until Sep. of 2013.

I am the potential buyer and after making a deposit to this private seller, we later found out the car has excessive over-revs and some paint work done. The coolant hose also popped out on the day the car was shown to me, but since it's CPO'ed the dealer is taking care of the repair as we speak.

The car is at a Porsche dealership getting the coolant hose replaced and a few check-ups. After speaking with the service adviser there, he said Porsche will cover all repairs, including engine replacement if necessary, in the case of engine failure (not due to any newly occurred engine over speed, of course) since it's CPO'ed until September of 2013. There is no luck with extending this warranty according to him but instead he wanted to offer some 3rd party warranty program.

So my question is this:

1. how much of a value drop would this report translate into since we agreed upon a price based upon a good over-rev report? Not to mention there's one panel with paint work done on the car after they measure the paint with the paint gauge. I feel reluctant to buy this at the wrong price and the over-rev history it carries which might very likely make it hard to sell in the future.

2. should I be worried about the motor since the over-rev events were registered over 300 hours in the past and the fact that this car is CPO'ed?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Bottom line is never get stuck on one car. There will always be another. If you are nervous at all, just walk away and wait for another one to come along.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The coolant hose issue is a concern to me. This is a well-documented problem on these cars, but Porsche is not dealing with it head-on. You should find out which one failed - the most frequent is the one behind the power steering pump. That can be repaired with the motor in place, but if the dealer is doing it, they are probably replacing the failed one with an updated part, but that one is also a glued-in fitting.

There are 7 or 8 of these fittings that have been failing. In addition to the one behind the PS pump, there are 3 on the water pump bracket and 3 or 4 under the oil tank. The latter cannot be repaired without removing the motor. If one of these fittings has already failed, I would worry about the rest of them. That repair will run you $3-5k, depending on who does it. Trust me, you do not want to have that failure while driving.

As noted by several of us earlier, the over-revs were long enough in the past that they are probably not a big cause for concern. However, with them, and these new issues, I would recommend that you walk away and keep looking. Unless the price is really great.

Jon
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRGG
Hello All,

... There is no luck with extending this warranty according to him but instead he wanted to offer some 3rd party warranty program.

So my question is this:

2. should I be worried about the motor since the over-rev events were registered over 300 hours in the past and the fact that this car is CPO'ed?
Hi TRGG,

Thanks for your update. Just one more thing, I thinbk your dealer is not aware about his duties. If he has given the car already once the Porsche approved warranty (after the overrev) - there is no reason to deny you this in the future. There are enough cars out there that have unfortuntely overrevs - but still the Porsche warranty. He basically wants you to sell the car..and then walk away from the responsibility.

My advice:

a) look for another car (if you find the same colour etc..what you wish for) - OR:
b) he must perform the official procedure for overevs according to Porsche..leak down test etc
c) to make him stay in his responsibilty - I would ask for 2 year warranty. This is possible..so I would say "I would buy the car only if: 1) 2 year warranty 2) leak down test etc.

Good luck,

PS: The chances to find a 100% perfect GT2/GT3 are always slim..unless you pay the according price. I personally wouldnt worry too much abou the entry in level 4..what about the rest of the car..? You mentioned one paint issue..accident would be more severe I would say..
Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

type 4 = no warranty when the sh*t goes down.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3DE
type 4 = no warranty when the sh*t goes down.
Thats simply and 100% WRONG. If the car got warranty after the overrev occured then the warranty has to cover. What else is it there for?

Lets stay with the facts guys, overrev simply means (above 3) that Porsche has to do certain tests..then it will be decided what will/can be done

Look what I wrote earlier:

1) Leak down and compression test to be done, report to be attached to the electronic file
2) analyse oil sample, report + picture to be attached to the electronic file
3) plus a few other smalls things
4) Clarify with factory..and if the things are OK - then Porsche can give a new warranty. By the way, in this case with an entry max at level 4 its no problem anyway. I know of one car - however a GT2 - so lower revs - with 1 entry at 6.(so 1 ignition at 6) - engine was partly taken apart and no damage found. The entry was also 40,000Km ago..so if the engine would have taken a hit it would have manifested already.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The dealer will CPO a car with a zone 4 over rev. I've seen it done.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Is this the non-dealer car in San Diego?

Quick Reply: Over Rev Report - seeking assistance