Dog

You're buyin me lunch.

LOL I'd like to see that!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Bart...OZ cast wheels are different than other cast wheels. They use a different process and they are really strong. I was once a forged wheel only guy but these OZ's I see others using and now I'm using them have changed my mind.
Call Damon at Tire Rack...he is great to deal with and he knows our cars and fitment very well.

If you do want a forged wheel go with CCW....they still make them for 5 lug Porsche. There C10 and Y2K model are really nice. Not the lightest forged wheel but very strong.
Mike, I've had the OZ wheels for a couple of years now. That's what I was trying to say in my post.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
Dog

You're buyin me lunch.

I'm pretty sure I've bested your best time. In the heat. On nitto's.

Cold weather is a comin'. Plus I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Should I put my lunch order in now?

BTW, since your car is at orbit and there's engine shenigans going on, I'm going to need to see a dyno before we make this official. Can't have you showing up with a 3.9
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM
csmarx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Street or track? Wouldn't recommend for street driving. Nitto is not that noisy, but they will wear quickly and not so great in the rain. R888 on the other hand requires ear plugs they drone so bad.

I use these wheels: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...racite+Painted

Shoot for 12" rears and either 8.5 or 9 inch fronts. Either will work. As Mike said 9" is preferably so you have the option to run a wider tire, but 8.5 is just fine with 245's. My OZ's are 8.5" front and 12" rear. CCW are 9" front and 12" rear.
Both street and track. I do go a fair bit to tracks, but I always drive to the tracks, from 2 - 6 hours each way. My friends and I also do some fairly ***** out driving on curvy canyon and mountain roads. MPSC Race spec on 996 GT3 lasted very well doing this combination of driving. MPSC N-spec on 997 GT3 less so - and with less grip. Now trying the Trofeo R's and looking at the Nitto's next. If I go Nitto route on 18's, then I might do MPSS on the 19's for regular driving. Maybe I have to get a roof rack for the track tires....

I was looking at this exact wheel. (The OZ Challenge doesn't appear available for my car - at least not from Tire Rack.) The Alleggerita looks nice and is reasonably priced, so as long as it's durable that should be a good choice.

Thanks,
-Christian
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The OZ is a good wheel. Very solid. This is my second set.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys shouldn't use Nittos..

They are umm dangerous.. you'll be passed by Yugos when the DME umm goes to limp mode,.... they'll cause your ABS/PSM system to umm explode, .... and they'll umm cause you to go careening off the track.... etc etc..

{But if you are going to use them just dont let on to Nitto as they might get wind that they currently produce the best DE tire all factors considered so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, .... A plea from a very early adopter..., lol }
Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM
csmarx
Instructor

^ I'll order them VERY quietly.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

cello's sarcasm has more meaning than you think IMHO. Risk ICE ABS mode and have an "unfortunate" incident, is the risk worth it? When risking a 6 figure car it is best to ask the right questions. Unless I can reprogram the ABS at the very least for the difference in wheel speeds I have more reservations than my better sense allows. Until someone can do that alone, better yet for the TC and PSM... Seems like better judgement to stick with known sizes that work. Just my $0.02...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNR
cello's sarcasm has more meaning than you think IMHO. Risk ICE ABS mode and have an "unfortunate" incident, is the risk worth it? When risking a 6 figure car it is best to ask the right questions. Unless I can reprogram the ABS at the very least for the difference in wheel speeds I have more reservations than my better sense allows. Until someone can do that alone, better yet for the TC and PSM... Seems like better judgement to stick with known sizes that work. Just my $0.02...
Ok, I had another window open with DTD website up and my shopping cart loaded with the NT-01's and now I read this.

Show of hands please. Who's run these tires and had the ICE mode come on and did this lead to any time of 'incident' on track?

I've got to get tires ordered for an event I'm going to in a couple of weeks and need to make a decision.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Mike, I've had the OZ wheels for a couple of years now. That's what I was trying to say in my post.
Ahh...ok...I must of read it wrong.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

$1152 free shipping. Is this the best price anyone can find? The Toyo R888 255/35/18 and 315/30/18 I've been using are $1078 including shipping...I though the NT01's were less....but from what people say is they are a better tire but just not optimum Porsche 997 sizing for 18".

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Order from www.discounttires.com

I've done the math. They are the cheapest around even when you factor in shipping costs. There's a coupon code floating around too for another $5 off if you can find. I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

I don't know where they ship from but they show up in FL pretty damn quick.

They are very similar to RA1's as far as wear and grip. If you liked RA1, you will also like these. Plus they don't need to be shaved. Unlike the RA1.

Why anybody runs R888 is beyond me....

Last edited by mdrums; 12-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:54 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Is there no way to get the tires shipped to my house or Vortex? I enter my zip code and it says tires not available in the Orlando area (???) please call your local store.
Mike,

We all know how cheap da Dawg is. Just order from Discount Tires Direct on line. It is the easy button and they will ship to your house.

Peter
Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

If you ask quietly, all of the ice mode victims will tell you they stabbed the brake pedal instead of rolling onto it.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Mike,

We all know how cheap da Dawg is. Just order from Discount Tires Direct on line. It is the easy button and they will ship to your house.

Peter
Yep, found the correct site...just added direct at the end of discount tires

For some reason my R888 fronts keep getting a split across the tire. This last time I took 3/4 of the 1st day pretty easy and made sure the tires got up to temp before a hot lap. Toyo says I ran over something. I couldn't have as both front tires are doing the same thing and this is like the 3rd set to do this and they all looked the same....like a seem split across the tire and it starts to peel away. 2 days and the front are ruined!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Serge944
If you ask quietly, all of the ice mode victims will tell you they stabbed the brake pedal instead of rolling onto it.
Yep....something I learned. I roll into the brake ...fast...not a stab, break hard and release pressure to balance the car into the turn. This was the 1st thing my pro coach Chris Hall talked to me about. No more ice mode, no more over braking and a lot less ABS issues.

Quick Reply: NT01's for 997.1 GT3?!