Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Horn issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 05:25 PM
wilson234
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn issue

Dont use the horn very often, but the other day I had to honk at another car that was moving into my lane, horn was stuck on for 15 seconds, kept depressing the horn to try to dislodge whatever was causing this. Then I tried it again, later during my drive, horn honked for 5 secs then stopped. Question does the horn apply a longer honk, or is it like most horns, as soon as you release it should turn off? Car is still under warranty, but if there's a simple fix I would like to avoid the dealer.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:33 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Take it to the dealer, you have an issue. Let the warranty cover it.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:43 AM
wilson234
Instructor

plan on getting it looked at. Just curious though, does a normally operating horn, just honk as you hold on the horn, or does one tap sound the horn for 3 seconds, meaning you press the horn once and let go, but the horn stays on for a minimum 3 seconds. I believe this is how my horn is functioning, as well as the time it seemed to be stuck on for 15 seconds.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

It's a problem with the design of the 997.2 airbag unit--for silly reasons some of them get bloated over time and get stuck in the depressed position. I've gotten a rather few nasty looks for driving with horns blaring and me trying to "scoop" the airbag bag out of its perch. May have inadvertently reinforced the urban myth that Porsche drivers are mostly *****...

Take it into the dealer.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wilson234
plan on getting it looked at. Just curious though, does a normally operating horn, just honk as you hold on the horn, or does one tap sound the horn for 3 seconds, meaning you press the horn once and let go, but the horn stays on for a minimum 3 seconds. I believe this is how my horn is functioning, as well as the time it seemed to be stuck on for 15 seconds.
Yes, it should be just like every other horn.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I've had a similar problem. If I press the horn/airbag module off-center, especially at the bottom, it can sometimes get wedged against the wheel housing. Apparently the tolerances there are too close. I've had to stop and use my Swiss army knife's screwdriver blade, covered by a handkerchief, to gently pry it free. Not a good situation. Fortunately I don't use the horn often , but until I can take it in to the dealer I try to press the horn module directly in the middle.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM
almeena58
Racer

I am facing the same issue with my 997.2 GT3 nowadays

Quick Reply: Horn issue