Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 Gt2 and 7.2 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a GT2. Started with a search for a .2 GT3RS and ended with a totally random opportunity to have the GT2, so I took it. Hoping to get it on the track for the first time this Saturday.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:01 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
Since you've had seat time in both,Thank you for your unbiassed assessment.
I noticed no mention of Turbo Lag, power loss. Terms that seem to be used extensively when this discussion arises. The reality is, GT2 FTW.

Turbo lag is a red herring. The same way a 3 needs to be high in the rev range to work the 2 has a bit of lag that you need to compensate for. It is what it is.

Power loss is another story. I've seen some cars suffer tremendously from lack of boost and some cars that are fine. Too many factors come into play and I haven't owned one of these cars and experienced it so can't really comment.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmardini
Turbo lag is a red herring. The same way a 3 needs to be high in the rev range to work the 2 has a bit of lag that you need to compensate for. It is what it is.
Thats exactly correct, in a GT3 below 5000rpm nothing is happening either..the rpm band is however wider..which is easier to use..less thinking about shifting etc. Both cars are however: fascinating.

Merry GT2/GT3 christmas to you all
Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

I've done the comparo. At Dubai GP circuit (5.39km), its 2.5-3s seconds, but we have 3 long straights where the gt2 really stretches its legs. Story is more severe at Yas Marina circuit where there is little to no momentum throughout the circuit, its just brake, turn, full power corners. There the gt2s advantage is more extreme, because it pulls away in every single corner. (overall its still around 2.5s, just delivers the time differently). This is against a 3.8RS, Trofeo R. No amount vehicle dynamics can overcome 80hp and a couple hundred ftlbs torque difference on basically the same car.

With very easy modifications, this gap can grow to 4 or 5 seconds. If you want a car that will dominate DE well into the 991.2 generation, (basically until the 991 gt2 is made available), the 997 gt2 is for you. Considering the prices they are commanding at the moment (less than 3.8RS, rarer, faster) its actually not a bad buy. There is an (unfair) stigma in the GT crowd though with gt2 ownership, that somehow the 3 is "better", albeit a bit slower. Thats a matter of taste, and frankly being annihilated by average drivers in my "better" gt3 is starting to wear on me.
Hi BM martini,

Thanks for this info..confirms what I knew..and suspected

PS: I saw on your youtube site that you were in Spa - let me know when you here..I live not far away from there.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
I just got a GT2. Started with a search for a .2 GT3RS and ended with a totally random opportunity to have the GT2, so I took it. Hoping to get it on the track for the first time this Saturday.
Congratulations!

Use it in good health.
It will put a smile on your face!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Power loss is another story. I've seen some cars suffer tremendously from lack of boost and some cars that are fine. Too many factors come into play and I haven't owned one of these cars and experienced it so can't really comment.
Fortunately power loss is not an issue. That being said had the Akra muffler removed and replaced with X pipe. 200 cel cats in the spring, that should help with heat dissipation and add a few extra ponies as well.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:36 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Power loss is another story. I've seen some cars suffer tremendously from lack of boost and some cars that are fine.
You are talking heat related boost reduction ? this would affect all (stock) GT2s the same surely
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
You are talking heat related boost reduction ? this would affect all (stock) GT2s the same surely
Can't say. I haven't owned one of these cars so don't have a good sample size to assess from. What I'm saying is anecdotal from some drivers constantly complaining of "no boost" and others who never utter a peep. Tends to be car specific. Vast majority have no problems.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Can't say. I haven't owned one of these cars so don't have a good sample size to assess from. What I'm saying is anecdotal from some drivers constantly complaining of "no boost" and others who never utter a peep. Tends to be car specific. Vast majority have no problems.
Could it be that the drivers that complain of "no Boost", actually need more coaching....
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry for the bump....OK, not really

Currently drive a lightly modified (flash, clutch, coilover, exhaust) 996 Turbo. Went around town (Houston) getting trade-in values.......sucked, everyone was at around $26k.

So anyway, while there drove two cars. The first was a Turbo PDK. Salesman kept blathering on about the sat nav, bluetooth, how PDK will cook your dinner, etc. Felt very detached from the car, like it was a Mercedes.

Then drove a 2010 GT3. Fortunately, the salesguy was busy with somebody looking at a Cayenne.....so I just grabbed the keys and left.....was that wrong

LOVED the way it felt and drove. Now my question is does the GT2 feel like the GT3, or like the Turbo? I just love the expandibility of the Turbo platform.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

GT2 is like a hybrid of the GT3 RS and the Turbo. Chassis is like a GT3 RS, weight is closer to the GT3 RS (but it IS heavier because of the FI system and plumbing). Like the GT3 RS, the GT2 is dry sumped, the Turbo is not. Gearbox ratios are much shorter in the NA cars which accentuates the light feel. SC and TC are controlled differently from the Turbo. GT2 does not have a moonroof option, nor do they have fog lamps, although for some strange reason they come standard in the US with Bose and PCM (I think).

The hooks that the GT3/RS has- slightly less mass (but less power), and sound from the high revs.

So it depends on what you want from a Porsche- brilliant engine sound and light handling, or power and almost as light handling. Either way, they are both more nimble and more narrowly focused than the Turbo which is much better as a GT/daily driver. The choice isn't clear if your requirements aren't, decide what is important to you, then it will all fall into place.

Quick Reply: 997 Gt2 and 7.2 gt3