tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Glad to year it. Will see you in Texas.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Spleenache
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the problem of shifter not coming out of a gear once the engine and transmission was warmed up. Especially not wanting to come out of the 4th but it also happened in most gears. I had cup cable upgrade, 4.0 clutch upgrade and a brand new pressure plate.None of this helped. Finally the Porsche dealer diagnosed it to the shift fork. They saw wear marks on it and with Porsche’s approval changed it under warranty. Lo and behold the problem is gone.

I am not suggesting by any means that this is THE solution to all sticky shifter problems but in my case it worked. Just wanted to let everyone know.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Spleenache
I had the problem of shifter not coming out of a gear once the engine and transmission was warmed up. Especially not wanting to come out of the 4th but it also happened in most gears. I had cup cable upgrade, 4.0 clutch upgrade and a brand new pressure plate.None of this helped. Finally the Porsche dealer diagnosed it to the shift fork. They saw wear marks on it and with Porsche’s approval changed it under warranty. Lo and behold the problem is gone.

I am not suggesting by any means that this is THE solution to all sticky shifter problems but in my case it worked. Just wanted to let everyone know.
Saw a 3.8RS break a shift fork last week at the track. Add it to the list.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:09 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

There's a reason that the 996 Cup uses a steel 3/4 shift fork. All the street GT3s have a brass one...
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
There's a reason that the 996 Cup uses a steel 3/4 shift fork. All the street GT3s have a brass one...
Sounds like an upgrade to be had if any tranny work is being done. Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Matt is going to take all my money... Add it to my list

Matt, is there a way you can put a list of upgrades together we should have if we track our cars...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:01 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Update after a year: replaced 1st 4.0 PP (which went bad as mentioned in original post) with another 4.0 part Jan 2013. Problem came back in the same manner last month. I'm now due for my 4th PP (clutch disc still original and bite point still at the bottom quartile of pedal travel). If anyone has experience with a better alternative I'm all ears... I'm beginning to feel like an idiot doing the same thing over and over in hopes of a different result...

p.s. since I'll be dropping the tranny I'm thinking of putting in the Guard 4.125 R&P to eliminate those "in-between gear" moments at my home track. Is this worthwhile? I don't think re-gearing 2nd through 5th will be economical which is why I'm inclined to go R&P, but what do I know, I just wanna drive...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

'11 3.8 RS

I had an issue with getting the car out of gear, even when stopped. It turns out there was some side loading that resulted in the fork rubbing a slight groove in the collar that the shaft comes through.

Replaced with GT2RS clutch and PP, not problems yet. The GT2RS is designed differently and has more clamping force also.
Attached Images   
Old 01-02-2014, 01:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

gearing is complex. pm Matt and he will GGR u the right ratio and RP

Originally Posted by CRex
Update after a year: replaced 1st 4.0 PP (which went bad as mentioned in original post) with another 4.0 part Jan 2013. Problem came back in the same manner last month. I'm now due for my 4th PP (clutch disc still original and bite point still at the bottom quartile of pedal travel). If anyone has experience with a better alternative I'm all ears... I'm beginning to feel like an idiot doing the same thing over and over in hopes of a different result...

p.s. since I'll be dropping the tranny I'm thinking of putting in the Guard 4.125 R&P to eliminate those "in-between gear" moments at my home track. Is this worthwhile? I don't think re-gearing 2nd through 5th will be economical which is why I'm inclined to go R&P, but what do I know, I just wanna drive...
Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

I wonder if there is a stronger clutch release fork for our cars?

Last edited by Mvez; 01-02-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:51 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Already emailed him before my post!

Originally Posted by mooty
gearing is complex. pm Matt and he will GGR u the right ratio and RP
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 4.0 R&P I pulled out in great shape if you're interested...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

This thread has me thinking about some points which we may be overlooking. It seems in the quest to find "better", "stronger" clutch components, mainly the PP and Clutch disc, the throw-out bearing and the clutch release fork are the same for all models (GT3.1, .2, RS, GT2, etc.). The higher the clamping force of the PP, the more stress it should put on the clutch release fork and the ears of the TO bearing.

With that said, it makes me think that using the 4.0 Clutch kit for the stock 3.6L isn't necessarily the answer, especially since these cars don't see the problems that the 3.8's do. Sure, lower gearing in the RS means more shifting, which is also part of the equation, but you are just shifting the stress to another part down the line. Something has to give. I've seen more and more of the clutch release forks being the culprits, and it seems that if you want to use the HD 4.0 clutch, then perhaps you need to be prepared to service TO bearings or release forks more often.

The design of the 4.0 clutch disc does away with the small circles on the edges of the springs, but those circles were originally there to avoid a full crack, and spread the load over the whole area, just like how you stop a crack, you simply drill a hole at the end of it. I agree, the PP design is more robust, and I'm sure the clutch disc is too, but it's a perfect example of what happens when you make a change. The previous design probably allowed for a slower crack development, while the new design without circles just goes when it goes, if that ends up being the case. The picture of Izzone's clutch disc shows this.

Just some thoughts. I'm about to replace my clutch, and after 2.5 years of tracking and 27K total miles on my 3.6L clutch, I have yet to prove to myself that using a 4.0 will be "better".

For the 3.8's, it's definitely a better design and holds up, perhaps for the 3.6 it would be fine too, but like I said, you shift the wear somewhere else, and with clutch release forks bending, and breaking......perhaps we see where some of the problem lies.

I will also admit, Matt from Guard is right, there are some nice billet and steel 1/2 and 3/4 gear selector forks available, but these are things you need to actually get inside the tranny to replace, but would certainly also improve service life and performance. CMS seems to make some nice billet gear selector forks for the 997 GT3's. Certainly worth doing if you are re-gearing.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:15 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2010 .2 non-RS has just started doing this--13,000 miles, new 4.0 clutch kit at about half that when re-geared (Wright Motorsports). At Barber several weeks ago (38 degrees BTW, so ambient temp certainly wasn't the problem), after the back straight, the shifter didn't want to move out of fourth to get back into third. And, I had it happen when the car was at normal operating temps on the street, driving to the shop. As I stopped at a light, from a stopped position, I couldn't move the shifter from second to first. As the light was changing to green, I was thinking "I am going to block everyone from moving." I have the 4.0 clutch and pulley. I don't like forcing anything mechanical--like to be able to move the gearshift with my fingertips.

Quick Reply: Transmission not "coming out" of gear?