Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Transmission not "coming out" of gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

da Boss had a similar problem when hot the clutch wasn't releasing but it only reared it's ugly head going into gear. A new upgraded clutch fixed that problem. I do see where a clutch not fully disengaging could cause a problem getting out of gear as it would be under load and not spinning free.

Peter
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 PM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue for me after 45 minutes hard driving on the Ring or on a track : 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 are really sticky nearly stuck in fact, and after 30 to 45 minutes cool down it is ok. I use standard oil....
Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Syngear II, hard to find, but really handles the heat well. A little notchy when cold.

Peter
Spot on !!!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet more ammo for Rad to highlight the faults in our aero beetles Is there a transmission cooler on our cars? Could it be faulty?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Yet more ammo for Rad to highlight the faults in our aero beetles Is there a transmission cooler on our cars? Could it be faulty?
There is a small plate and frame trans cooler on the drivers side of the trans

Now that I have vbox through teh can I am going to log trans temp next outing I have and figure out how hot is is getting
Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gavin from Autoquest has some connections with the oil industry. He got some company to develop a new oil that helps with high temperature. Please contact him for more details. I haven't notice any issues when the transmission is hot at the track, but I can't really give you a scientific explanation. Gavin may be able to tell you more about the product and how it has increased the transmission life on his own track GT3.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Is there a transmission cooler on our cars? Could it be faulty?
Exact same cooler that is found on the Cups...
Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

proper fluid from the get go
changed often
best you can do

watch for pp fatigue if you are having trouble getting out of gear

FWIW I use amsoil severe gear and no issue
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

Thanks all--less than 20 hours and 20+ educated responses. The power of RL!!

I do have a cup 40/60 LSD clutch pack. I'll look into alternative oil fills as suggested, and double-check if my current fill level is up to standard (which I think is as much as the box can take without spilling out of the upper fill hole). Will also send a sample of the current Mobilube PTX in my box to Blackstone for analysis (even though this particular fill has only been in the box for one track event)

I can relate to the point on PP fingers weakening... but wouldn't a weakened PP affect both gear coming out and going in? My "going-in" shifts are crisp, just trying to reason through the possibilities here...

Lastly, this really drives home the point that we NEED, yes, NEED a temperature sensor in the gearbox. Every other car with half a track intent has temperature readings on their transmissions, and that's from Fiats to GTRs. PAG you reading this? Put a temp sensor in the 991 GT3 box!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Running Delvac is better correct?

Im on my second transmission.....both have done the exact same thing when hot

I change the fluid every six days, with Delvac. Magnetic plug is always pretty clean

When car gets hot the shifter sticks in gears. As soon as it cools off its fine.

It also "pops" from three to 4 or vice versa when hot under load
I got the "popping" from 3-4 and 4-3 under load this weekend for the first time. Threw me off, thought something was wrong. Of course, I can't reproduce it in the street for the Porsche mechanic. Shifts great still though. So, just live with the occasional "pop"?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
proper fluid from the get go
changed often
best you can do

watch for pp fatigue if you are having trouble getting out of gear

FWIW I use amsoil severe gear and no issue

I use swepco 201, a little tough when cold, but fine when hot.

I still don't see how the clutch could do this? Unless, it has completely failed. They just don't fail like this, soft failures. If the fingers get weak due to heat, then the friction disk should be in contact with the PP/Flywheel. I doubt that is happening.

When you depress the clutch, the load (most of it) has been lifted, allowing the input shaft to "float" Until the clutch is released again.

I ask you, when the trans starts doing this. Have you tried to shut off the engine and with or without the clutch try going through the entire H pattern??

If things are still not releasing, it's not the clutch or PP/LWFW..

I'm curious, and not too bright..

It sounds like a shift fork possibly or linkage/Shifter cable or something.

Good luck
Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I got the "popping" from 3-4 and 4-3 under load this weekend for the first time. Threw me off, thought something was wrong. Of course, I can't reproduce it in the street for the Porsche mechanic. Shifts great still though. So, just live with the occasional "pop"?
I have lived with it on both gear boxes......it takes quite a few track days to get to this point

hotter it ges the worse it gets

It happens when the rear end is not pointed straight and I shift. I have always had an idea that the dynamic mounts arent thinking fast enough....but thats my stupid theroy. Maybe sold mount the engine and trans and see if it helps

I put 996 cup car cable sin and still have teh same problem

Depending on teh direction I go with a Cup.....I will probably hav emy gearbox opened by Orbit to see what is going on inside of it.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

The throwout bearing is what assists in the disengagement of the clutch, I'd check that first.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Just had mine changed before Sebring with the same fluid used on Cup cars and it was suddenly crunching going into 3rd when hot which it never did before. Going to dump it out and switch to Syngear II which I ran in the GT2 and see how that works.

Peter
Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

How do I get some of that to get Orbit to pour it into my box?

Quick Reply: Transmission not "coming out" of gear?