Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What video recording device would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i have had success with the following:

http://vio-pov.com
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,068 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i have had success with the following:

http://vio-pov.com
If you're going to buy one of those, get it from Jim Gustafson. He can provide the support you'll need. Visual Communications, Sussex, Wisconsin.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I had a bunch of the Contour HD cameras but I just recently replaced them all with the new GoPro Hero3 cameras. Contour and GoPro used to be competitive, but Contour has really fallen behind in pricing, features, and reliability. GoPro's definitely the market leader right now.

The killer feature for me is the built in wifi in the Hero3. It worth buying the new kit just for that. You can have up to fifty cameras mounted all over the car (I use three) and start them all with a single button. This means you aren't needlessly recording 10 minutes of sitting in grid each session. It also means all the video files are +/- a second or so of each other. When I pull the video into Final Cut to stitch it all together I used to have to spend a long time getting them all synched together, but now it's pretty painless because they're all within a second of one another and the adjustments are minor and readily done.

Run them in the best resolution you can that supports 60fps. The Higher framerate is more important than the higher resolution. That's 1080, 960, or 720 depending on which flavor of camera you buy.

Ultimately my intent is to render my racekeeper overlay on top of a blank video (green background) so I can lay it on top of the HD gopro video, but I haven't played with that because my Windows partition is horked and you can't do the video processing in VMware. I still don't have a good workflow for that yet.

Here's a quickie I shot a few weeks ago at H2R failing to keep up with Andrew Davis in a 996 cup. Click through to YouTube to see it in HD. Hopefully useful to evaluate video quality, not driving skill or the lack thereof

Nice info. and great set up. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM
FINN987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The current SmartyCam is pretty good, the new one will be the same price and is actually 720P (not 960 or 1080 like the standalone deals).
The AiM spec sheet calls out the "HD" rez as 720x400p30 with "Global Shutter HD CMOS" sensor.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...m_smartyhd.pdf
Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,068 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Originally Posted by FINN987
The AiM spec sheet calls out the "HD" rez as 720x400p30 with "Global Shutter HD CMOS" sensor.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. I called it 720P, not "HD" for a reason.

Contour HD, Replay HD and GoPro Hero 2 and 3 will do "HD," which is 1080p 30 fps, most folks use those cameras in 960 (default setting).

Some people say 720P is not "true" HD, but it's better than the standard "DVD" or "SD" resolution of 640 x 480P and many vendors call it that (HD). I don't think 720P is true "HD" but that's what AiM has decided to call it. So be it.

The new CMOS is designed to get rid of the "rolling shutter effect" or the wavy lines under high vibration conditions.

We'll see...
Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just discovered a cheaper option if the price of the new HERO3 cameras is an obstacle:

http://go-amateur.net
Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM
csmarx
Instructor

If you want the really inexpensive solution, get Harry's LapTimer Pro app for the iPhone (may also be available for android??). This takes video and does decent data acquisition (for non pro racers anyway). It does the data overlay onto video right in the app on the phone. You can literally come off the track and have a nice video ready to watch or share in about a minute. They updated the recently, to make it very, very functional for video.

All you need is the $16 app (I think), and a semi decent car phone mount.

You can enhance the data acquisition by adding a 5 Hz GPS chip for the phone, and there are a couple available. You can also add OBD info quite easily with a couple of widgets.

This certainly won't be the best available solution, but it's very cost effective, and very easy and convenient to use. I have several GoPros with wifi, and they are great and I often use them. But I often find myself just using Harry's for casual track days because its so painless.

I've even imported GoPro video onto the phone, so I could use Harry's to do the overlay.

The app also allows very easy data analysis and comparison of laps (your own or imports from friends/instructors, etc. I have data from pretty much every lap at every track event I've done in the past several years in the app, so I can see exactly what I did when and in what car in one easy place.

Just throwing another option out there to consider, either alone or in conjunction.

-Christian
Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

And if you don't have an iphone (Harry's is only available for Apple, no android) get a cheap Ipod touch (4th gen+) plus the 5Ghz GPS, which you need anyway, iphone or not.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Data acquisition important? If not, GoPro3. Quickly becoming the standard for outdoor cams, excellent WiFi capabilities, wide array of accessories.

If data's important, the SmartyCam HD's worth waiting for. Supposed to be here in a couple months if recent trade show promises are anything.
+1 on the GoPro3
Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by csmarx
If you want the really inexpensive solution, get Harry's LapTimer Pro app for the iPhone (may also be available for android??). This takes video and does decent data acquisition (for non pro racers anyway). It does the data overlay onto video right in the app on the phone. You can literally come off the track and have a nice video ready to watch or share in about a minute. They updated the recently, to make it very, very functional for video.

All you need is the $16 app (I think), and a semi decent car phone mount.

You can enhance the data acquisition by adding a 5 Hz GPS chip for the phone, and there are a couple available. You can also add OBD info quite easily with a couple of widgets.

This certainly won't be the best available solution, but it's very cost effective, and very easy and convenient to use. I have several GoPros with wifi, and they are great and I often use them. But I often find myself just using Harry's for casual track days because its so painless.

I've even imported GoPro video onto the phone, so I could use Harry's to do the overlay.

The app also allows very easy data analysis and comparison of laps (your own or imports from friends/instructors, etc. I have data from pretty much every lap at every track event I've done in the past several years in the app, so I can see exactly what I did when and in what car in one easy place.

Just throwing another option out there to consider, either alone or in conjunction.

-Christian
Originally Posted by Horstair
And if you don't have an iphone (Harry's is only available for Apple, no android) get a cheap Ipod touch (4th gen+) plus the 5Ghz GPS, which you need anyway, iphone or not.
+1 on both...
Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If you buy a GoPro, be aware Costco has the HD 2 for sale for a good price right now and it is compatible with Traqmate, if you want to add that later. The GoPro HD 3 is not...
Does anybody have a costco nearby that has an HD2 motorsport edition in stock?

I'm in Massachusetts for the next few weeks but somebody has bought the entire stock of GoPros in all the shops in this area.

Quick Reply: What video recording device would you buy?