Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Wheel powder coating issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wheel powder coating issue

Just an FYI to those who are about to have their wheels recoated - especially in a powder coat paint finish: Make sure that the powder coater company tape off the interior bead of the rim. I had my Champion wheels redone - media blasted, cleaned, etc., prior to coating - just as they should be. However the vendor powder coated everything, including the interior bead. Seems like no bid deal - right?

Well, 2 of my tires would just bleed air. Not fast leaks but steady leaks that in a few days I would be 6-8lbs less. After talking with the local Porsche dealer, who does this all the time for customers, informed me that they had the same issues. Not with aftermarket wheels, but with the factory ones too. So to solve this, I let them have my GT3-RS for a few days. They dismounted the tires, wire brushed and cleaned the interior bead, then remounted and balance the tires. Now - no issues.

So - Do NOT have the painters (powder or traditional paint) coat the interior of the beads. At least on the factory wheels there are slight ridges running along the interior of the bead - once these get coated they loose their grip.

Just putting this out there for anyone recoating their wheels. It cost a little to does this, but the hassle just isn't worth it.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Good info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Had several sets PC'd and not a single one has leaked any air and all were PC'd completely except for the surface on the back of the wheel that comes into contact with the rotor. Sounds like there is something more to this than is assumed.

Quick Reply: Wheel powder coating issue