Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably your battery... mine did this... try jump strarting
Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 PM
oroarj
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BG
I'll check the battery further and go from there, thanks.
Hi BG I've had exactly the same problem on my 997 GT3. Replaced the starter and now 12 months later have the same problem. How diid you resolve your problem?
John
Old 06-22-2013, 12:18 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like battery to me. My OEM battery died at 2.5 years and was replaced under warranty. BTW, the OEM batteries are maintenance batteries and you do need to add distilled water to them when the level starts going low. When it went completely dead, we could not get the car to jump start at all. After swapping batteries, it started right up.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:12 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BG
The battery is good, dash lights come on and I hear a click from the rear but it doesn't turn over.
It finally did after about 15 attempts. I've had this problem in the past but after a few attempts it always started but now it's much worse.
I was thinking it might be the clutch switch but there is no message on the dash saying depress clutch and I do get that message when I don't depress the clutch so i figure that's not the problem.
I'm thinking it might be the ignition switch, not sure what else it could be other than maybe a bad starter.
Any of you guys have this problem?
I'm a little confused by your explanation. Does it not turn over, or does it turn over but not start. You said after 15 attempts, it did "start". Does that mean it turned over and started and or just turned over. The reason I ask, is that there are times when I don't depress the clutch far enough (apparently) and it gives me the message to "depress clutch", but it spins over fine.....it just doesn't start. I have to reset the key, and try to start again, this time pushing the clutch all the way in...it then starts fine. My point is that the clutch not being pushed in far enough will allow it to turn over fine, but must cut the ignition separately. Just another consideration.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Waterboy
Intermediate

Sounds like the battery. I took a trip with my wife last fall. Everything was fine until I went to start it in the morning. No start. I had some power but had some willing bystanders push me down a hill and got it running. Called the dealership and asked WTF? They said these batteries just decide to die without warning. He also mentioned our systems just recharged what is used and not back to 100% charge. This is why if mine sits too long I charge it overnight before taking it out. I had no choice but found a local Porsche / V. Wag. dealership get me a battery ( thinking I still had a warranty) No warranty.... The employee felt bad about it and said I saved you $100 by charging you the V.Wag rate vs the Porsche service rate (for the same service) .
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oroarj
Hi BG I've had exactly the same problem on my 997 GT3. Replaced the starter and now 12 months later have the same problem. How diid you resolve your problem?
John
After checking every electrical connection and ground for corrosion and tightness from the battery to the starter and testing the battery (1 year old Interstate) all of which checked out ok I changed the starter and have had zero issues since. John, hearing that you did the same thing and the problem has returned has me concerned but I don't know what else to do since the "click" means the starter solenoid is getting power so the clutch and ignition switches are both ok. I suppose it could be an intermittent cable issue of some sort that might cause this sort of problem and maybe a new starter draws a bit less power than an older one which is masking the problem, I don't know, I'm just speculating now. I think changing out the cable is a pretty major job so I'll just wait and see if the problem returns.

Mikemdd- my problem was i would turn the key and would just hear a "click" from the rear, it would not turn over. Sometimes I would have to turn the key on and off 10 or more times before it would turn over.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM
jbryan
Advanced

I HAD SAME PROBLEM...REPLACED BATTERY AND ALL IS WELL.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 AM
cliftony
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BG
After checking every electrical connection and ground for corrosion and tightness from the battery to the starter and testing the battery (1 year old Interstate) all of which checked out ok I changed the starter and have had zero issues since. John, hearing that you did the same thing and the problem has returned has me concerned but I don't know what else to do since the "click" means the starter solenoid is getting power so the clutch and ignition switches are both ok. I suppose it could be an intermittent cable issue of some sort that might cause this sort of problem and maybe a new starter draws a bit less power than an older one which is masking the problem, I don't know, I'm just speculating now. I think changing out the cable is a pretty major job so I'll just wait and see if the problem returns.

Mikemdd- my problem was i would turn the key and would just hear a "click" from the rear, it would not turn over. Sometimes I would have to turn the key on and off 10 or more times before it would turn over.
What was the starter part number when you changed it? Was it ending a "00" or the "02"? In which the starter ending in "02" is newer.

THanks
Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 AM
RAPID
Racer

If it started at all after a number of tries, the battery is ok! There is no chance of starting it otherwise. I would look at connections, intermittent contacts etc...
Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cliftony
What was the starter part number when you changed it? Was it ending a "00" or the "02"? In which the starter ending in "02" is newer.

THanks
The new starter is Bosch part # 99660410702, I don't know about the original one.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 AM
cliftony
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BG
The new starter is Bosch part # 99660410702, I don't know about the original one.
Great! Thanks

Quick Reply: GT3 Won't Start