Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Short Reviews - FVD Bypass / RSS Engine Mount / OZ Superforgiata / Voltphreak

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Short Reviews - FVD Bypass / RSS Engine Mount / OZ Superforgiata / Voltphreak

The below short reviews are based on personal opinion by a not so skilled driver that has a propensity to keep doing little things to the car. None of the vehicles I have previously owned has been left in stock form
(Maybe except the 2.5 Subaru Forester I had when I was in Minnesota - and that's because I know I am only there for a year)

I am also residing in Singapore - meaning that the parts price are a smaller proportion of the vehicle price over here.

FVD Titanium Rear Muffler Bypass - Single piece construction in titanium means maximum weight savings and neater look, no need to add the tips. Weighs 1.8lbs (according to website), it is light! Should have similar sound to the various bypasses out there, no drone in cabin. Started life with a light gold color - turned pretty blue after the track sessions. Weight loss is noticeable - even on the street, can feel the rear being less pendulous.
The FVD bypass may be coming up for sale though - I am interested in the side delete option to further reduce weight, I don't really mind having a quieter option since car is daily driven - and the presence of a rear box is more inspection friendly in this police state of ours. Interested parties for the FVD bypass can PM me.

RSS semi-solid Engine Mounts - One of the most disconcerting things about the GT3 is the bobbing / pendulum feeling at the rear end on accelerating through some longer sweepers. At first I thought it was some suspension problem or alignment issues, after making sure these are ok, the same feeling remains: I guess it is a nature of the beast. Added the RSS engine mounts soon after that (was easier to get these than the Wevo mounts due to shipping issues). I would say by more rigidly connecting the engine to the chassis, the bobbing feeling has been reduced by approx 30-50%. The gear shift also became more positive, especially the 2-3 upshift - though I still have the occasional mis-shift where I take a little more time to get it into 3.
Furthermore there is no significant increase in NVH and a weight loss of approx 2lb from the rear end is always welcomed! Highly recommended.

RSS rear toe links with locking plates - nicely made product: fit it, align it, that's it.

Voltphreaks Lithium battery - since my original battery is on its way out and there was a group buy for these batteries, I decided to get one, especially since it is touted to last longer especially in our tropical temperatures . About 20-30lbs lighter than stock, no issues with cranking so far. Easy vendor to deal with.

OZ Superforgiatas Wheels - One of the lightest forged wheels at stock 19 sizes available for the RS, stock width and offsets. Can reuse the stock center caps, although it also comes with the OZ carbon fibre center caps. 36lbs unsprung rotational weight loss. Car immediately felt more peppier especially in the lower rpms at 2-4krpm, makes the car feel more torquey. Slight improvement in steering and ride.

Polyurethane Filled Transmission Mount - Gear shift action was much better, more positive shifting in every gear. Better throttle response too, things just felt so much tied down and tighter. However I replaced the stock mount 2 days later as I found the increase in noise just a bit too much for a daily driver. Idling noise, transmission whine and rattle is much more pronounced. For a track car, I would not hesitate but for a daily driver, one might want to reconsider.

Soon to come - Guards LSD 40/60 rebuild

her shann
Attached Images    

Last edited by hershann; 11-13-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: mistype - should be transmission mount instead of engine mount
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Polyurethane Filled Engine Mount
- you said you replaced after 2 days
- are you referring to the RSS engine mounts or did you mean to write Trannny mounts not Engine mounts?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Polyurethane Filled Engine Mount
- you said you replaced after 2 days
- are you referring to the RSS engine mounts or did you mean to write Trannny mounts not Engine mounts?
Oops - yes that should be polyurethane transmission mount - bad mistake

edited

her shann

Last edited by hershann; 11-13-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: editing

Quick Reply: Short Reviews - FVD Bypass / RSS Engine Mount / OZ Superforgiata / Voltphreak