Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any of you record tire temps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

So if I'm coming in off a hot lap and the tires have a near even temp spread across the tread block, with a slight elevation on the inside, wouldn't that mean I've got correct camber as the outside is being used almost as much as the inside during cornering? In my case I'm running -2 with 4mm toe.

Again, I really need to do a flying lap and haul *** in with someone waiting next time. Last time I checked the tires at sebring the brakes were still smoking when I pulled in. However, I did throw my arm up well before 17 and coasted in to the pits. And then obviously it takes a minute to unbuckle, get the pyrometer, get out and start checking.... I'd have to assume that even in that short amount of time there was cooling.

For grins I may try a street drive and see what the measurements are as I'm probably truly driving on the inner edge the entire time. Just curious as to what the spread from in to out would be with my current alignment during a no cornering scenario.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Maybe zig zag all the down the back straight and pull into the pits hot?

We need to get Kathy and Lisa to learn to work a pyrometers and stay put at the pit wall.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

You need to look at it this way. If you were on a large skid pad going in one direction only at the limits of adhesion the outer tire temps should be basically even across the face. Now coming into 17 at speed the outer edge has lost some temp due to contact patch and cooling air on the straight, Threshold brake heats the inner tire a little more than the outer especially on the rear, turn in and heat the whole face of the tire. The only time the outer edge really works is under cornering whereas the inside is Always working leading to higher temps.

I come through 17 hot and at apex continue into the pits instead of tracking out. Stop the car, turn the wheel to make fronts easier, hop out and get pyro which is ready to go and record temps then do pressures.

Peter
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
So if I'm coming in off a hot lap and the tires have a near even temp spread across the tread block, with a slight elevation on the inside, wouldn't that mean I've got correct camber as the outside is being used almost as much as the inside during cornering?
listen grasshopper, there is no "correct". it is what it is. pyro just tells you what it is. you decide if its what you want.

remember, even is good for tire wear. somewhat uneven is good for speed. way too uneven = crash.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info Master. Someday I will grab the pebble out of your hand

Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM
On Pole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Print this
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any of you record tire temps?