Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Sean Edwards
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
Hey Sean.

Nice driving!

Are you going to stay in Supercup for the next season?

Guess the 991 will be flappy-paddle only... Do the drivers have already some details about the new car?
Maybe yes. Yes I have seen pics and know the details, they will be released soon

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great comments above.

I recently watched the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland 2012, Round 16 in Hockenheim (on the Porsche UToob channel).
Your points battle with René Rast was epic. He got tagged from behind and you looked to be in the clear...sorry about the tire issue (epic handling skills on display)!

Yeah, a tyre cost me the championship two years running, very frustrating!

Originally Posted by bmardini
I think thats the first time I've heard someone say that paddles are slower. Would love to hear more about why you think so.

Was chatting with someone today who races the new Z4 GT3. He says that with ABS, TC, and now ESP, pretty much everyone is within 1s of the pace almost right away.
Not slower, it's the same, but it won't always let you shift down when you want and the rev blip is the same every time, wet and dry. When doing it manually you always adjust it to the gear and conditions to get the best braking performance.

Yes it allows AM's to get much closer to us, I would say more like 2 seconds most drivers can get too, within 1 is a very good AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Polarcharger
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, differences in talent are more difficult to display in many sports today due to equipment - think golf, tennis, bowling, etc. Auto racing may be next.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the dfference is nearly in racing as those sports. You won't beat Federer or Djokovic with a couple years of training and a pile of money. You wont return many 150 mph serves from John Isner either. A racquet, club or even bowling ball can only do so much for you.

With all these electrical systems and drivers aids, the number and extent of skill(s) required are being reduced tremendously. Computers assist braking, assist traction, assist shifting, there really isn't much left to do for a driver.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

driver has to think. car can't.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:16 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Edwards
Maybe yes. Yes I have seen pics and know the details, they will be released soon

Yeah, a tyre cost me the championship two years running, very frustrating!

Not slower, it's the same, but it won't always let you shift down when you want and the rev blip is the same every time, wet and dry. When doing it manually you always adjust it to the gear and conditions to get the best braking performance.

Yes it allows AM's to get much closer to us, I would say more like 2 seconds most drivers can get too, within 1 is a very good AM.
I didn't realize the blip on the paddle was always the same, I guess its an expansion of the auto-blipper on the cups? I would have thought the down-blip would be computer controlled to match the revs in that gear, sort of like what a nice road-sports car does. I can see how that could be annoying in less-than-ideal conditions.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
driver has to think. car can't.
Thinking is processing information. ABS, TC, Electronically controlled shifting are all information processing and subsequent reaction based on a desired outcome.

Cars do plenty of that.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Edwards
Was good fun driving with Karim, nice guy!

Was good fun around that track, I love street circuits! In fact I won the Supercup in Monaco this year, now that really felt awesome!

Paddles are easier for sure, but not actually quicker if you master the technique, you have more control when shifting down with the sequential as it's not controlled by a computer.

And the biggest problem with paddels is it makes it easier for everyone to drive, which is not really what motorsport is about. I for one would like all racing cars to have manual boxes, no TC or ABS either, much more fun and would actually show the great drivers from the average ones. Now in GT3 spec cars, people who in a standard cup car are miles off me are much closer. It's great for AM drivers, but I hope they don't introduce all the driving aids into let's say GT2 which is 95% Pro drivers.

Glad you guys enjoyed the video. Shame I can't post many other videos/track, most race series either won't allow cameras or won't allow me to post them.
BTW - just saw the latest SuperCup recap on Speed, unbelievable save at Silverstone, where you got pushed off the track.

Quick Reply: Sean Edwards GT3R @ Baku