Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Diagnosis Number 0203 and Fault Code C151 on my Durametric?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Bono
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis Number 0203 and Fault Code C151 on my Durametric?

I hooked up my Durametric Cable to my "new to me" 2011 GT3. The only fault code that is listed is Diagnosis Number 0203, showing Current Fault Code C151. There is a brief comment that states "control unit communication", and "automatic transmission (drive) no signal communication. Anyone have any idea what this is? Is there a database of codes anywhere??
Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bono
I hooked up my Durametric Cable to my "new to me" 2011 GT3. The only fault code that is listed is Diagnosis Number 0203, showing Current Fault Code C151. There is a brief comment that states "control unit communication", and "automatic transmission (drive) no signal communication. Anyone have any idea what this is? Is there a database of codes anywhere??
Are those Durametric error numbers?

Or is that "0203" really a "P0203" or a "C0203" or even a "U0203"?

The letter prefix and the 4 digits are important.

Assuming the C151 is C0151 the 'C' is chassis systems error prefix, but fault codes C008B to C0FFF numbers are ISO/SAE reserved and I have no info on them. (Same goes for B00E9 to B0FFF.)

U0151 is lost communication with restraints control modules.
U0203 is lost communication with door control module E.

But really one must have the entire/complete error code number.

Oh, you might find something if you join Renntech.org in the DME error codes/error text sections.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:33 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Reset it and try again. Usually the low voltage induced CAN Drive faults clear that way.

C151

Communication, transmission control unit
K NOTE
Internal function test completed.
Diagnostic conditions
The transmission control unit initially tests internal function sequences after wakeup.
If they are
OK, all diagnosable outputs are then tested and any faults are stored.
Transmission control unit wakeup
through:
J Eventcontrolled
CAN message
J Ignition on
Possible fault causes
J No power supply for transmission control unit
J Transmission control unit is incorrectly coded
J Short circuit or open circuit of CAN Drive
J Transmission control unit faulty (in most cases the cause is not the transmission control unit
but incorrect coding!)
J DME control unit faulty
Fault effects
J No communication can take place via CAN Drive
J No other control units are able to communicate with the transmission control unit.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Bono
Rennlist Member

911slow..thanks much for the post. This is great..where are you getting your information from?..everyone I've talked to acts like the codes are a complete mystery..

Anyway, when you say reset "it", what are you talking about resetting? The durametric software or something else? I've tried to erase the fault code but it just keeps poping up again. Also, to let you know the error is showing up in the Steering Column Electronics section/module. Thanks

Last edited by Bono; 10-31-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

So it was "C151". I'm interested in where you are getting that info from as well.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Bono
Rennlist Member

Macster, thanks for staying in touch on this. Haven't heard back from 911slow, but interested in his reply. Do you have an idea what he means when he is suggesting to reset it? not really sure what he is saying I should try to reset?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bono
Macster, thanks for staying in touch on this. Haven't heard back from 911slow, but interested in his reply. Do you have an idea what he means when he is suggesting to reset it? not really sure what he is saying I should try to reset?
By "reset" the codes I think he is referring to using a proper diagnostics test tool to erase or clear or "reset" the error code(s).

I'm not sure an over the counter OBD2 test tool can do this for these error codes since they are not based on my info OBD2 error codes but appear to be Porsche defined codes.

However, even for instance P1XXX error codes which are manufacturer specific an over the counter OBD2 test tool can -- this is my experience anyway -- can erase (reset) these.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:14 PM
reytech
3rd Gear

Default C151 Fault Code

Hello there
I just happened to by looking for this fault code; I will just mention what I have found about it…
The code C151 usually come out in the Steering Column Switch as “Present” and it can be ignore if your 911 (997) is a Manual transmission vehicle, what happens is that the steering column module is looking for the Tip-Tronics or PDK signal…
For some reason!!! Porsche use the same Steering Column module for both Manual 6 speed transmission and for the PDK/ Tip-Tronics transmission and not matter the coding In the CAN, the gateway keep looking for that signal in the Manual transmission vehicles.
Hope this can help.
Cheers
Old 12-09-2015, 05:19 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

These shadow codes happen all the time on 997s I find. Every one I have ever scanned had a couple DME communication faults.

Is it an active (Currently happening) or stored (happened in past) code?
Old 12-10-2015, 07:51 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't realize this was originally an old thread. I can scarcely imagine how many operating systems that are monitored on Porsche and undoubtedly other modern cars. And if there has to be so much functioning "communication" between systems, it amazes me that our cars just don't shudder to a stop and crank without starting, and have little wisps of smoke coming from behind the dash. If the cars run fine with all these "soft" codes, why even monitor these systems anyway?

As a former army flight surgeon, maybe there is just too much input for the car's "brain" to function on the task at hand. In my flight surgeon schooling, I learned of something called "task saturation", wherein there is just too much streaming information for the pilot to process in a timely, sequential manner. Maybe Audipwr above brings up a point, that if each of us hooked our cars up to a full code reader, we would park and sell them immediately, as they are just about to fail in spectacular and expensive ways.

6AM, looking out over the salt marsh as the sun is just creeping over the horizon here on Seabrook Island, just south of Charleston. Stout coffee, and some Italian pastry warming......

all the best.......

NV

Quick Reply: Diagnosis Number 0203 and Fault Code C151 on my Durametric?