Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Center lock wheels on my 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:49 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Since it was my post you just assumed it was misinformation? It's a wonder you're exhaust doesn't drone. Karma :-)
Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Same bearings front and rear with the rest of the GT3s.

Different rear wheel carriers, track rods and wishbones.
Must have misunderstood. Orbit said 4.0 of Juan had wheel bearing go bad, but one from 3.8 did not fit, I thought..

Wheel carrier = upright/wheel hub? Sorry.
I confirmed that track rods are monoball lower wishbones also, upper not.

Thanks John.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Since it was my post you just assumed it was misinformation? It's a wonder you're exhaust doesn't drone. Karma :-)
Not assumed. Knew, just read it. All of it is wrong.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's torque one until it fails. Probably 1000 lb? How could anyone ever tighten one that high? I've seen big guys struggle with the 444 ft lb. We would need to progressively tighten and than magna flux?
I wonder if replacement hubs have the same metalurgy and thickness of originals.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not assumed. Knew, just read it. All of it is wrong.
Keep smoking the "since porsche made it, it must be good" crack.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone change CL wheels by themselves. There's always one dummy straining to break those nuts loose and another dummy holding the brake

All kidding aside, being exceptionally tall and weighing more than 50% of the recommend torque setting gives you a significant advantage breaking those wheels loose. It was painful watching the wafey euro trins Miguel and Nick changing wheels at RR last weekend. It was a ton of work.

Both their cars had to be started to get more brake pressure to keep the wheels from turning. Maybe because were were on the grass. Not sure...

I can send you the link to the pricing on the OZ's if you like
Old 10-27-2012, 02:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The braker bar I have is great, so easy.
For fun I timed it, from my car parked and all tools stowed it takes me an easy 12 minutes to change 4 wheels. Same as 5 lug except I don't have to remember to charge gun.

Randy will do it quicker.

If I rush I can grease them in the same time, I looked at pads and gave everything a quick look.

Never started my car to hold brakes, only an idiot jacks up a car in the grass.

I bought some CL oz 4 weeks ago for $1750.00 plus shipping.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:16 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The braker bar I have is great, so easy.
For fun I timed it, from my car parked and all tools stowed it takes me an easy 12 minutes to change 4 wheels. Same as 5 lug except I don't have to remember to charge gun.

Randy will do it quicker.

If I rush I can grease them in the same time, I looked at pads and gave everything a quick look.

Never started my car to hold brakes, only an idiot jacks up a car in the grass.

I bought some CL oz 4 weeks ago for $1750.00 plus shipping.
Im that idiot, and so is your friend Randy. I call complete bull**** on your 12 min wheel change. Come to think of it, Ive never seen you carry a tool ever at the track.

You talk to much sometimes....

CL's are absolutely ridiculous. BUT, not dangerous. If done right, they are as safe as lugs. Its just the procedure that is dangerous. Larger margin for error than 5 lug.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:44 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 455 Posts

Sorry but I'm with Dawg on this one. Never seen TrakCar with a torque wrench in his hand and when we were at Road America 2 years ago i was the one holding the brakes while Randy changed wheels.

I have run Studs on all my cars, M3 & GT3, for 7 years, would have been longer but Boats don't do studs, and never cross threaded one, I always hand start them, and also never broken one or had any come loose.

Studs are for Studs and CL's are for Ballers

Peter
Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Randy told us to change in the grass :-) no pavement at rr and they seem to frown on working in the roadways.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

let's see the the video tape !! 12 minutes !!

Last edited by Gofishracing; 10-27-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

12 minutes....LOL...Ive seen how you move.

I do CL's by myself with the truck brake pedal depressor. If I dont change bake pads the brakes grab fine and I don't have to start the car.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Back to the subject. No one should rush when doing CL's
Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Bono, the question you are asking can't be answered by anybody on any forum... Only Porsche know if their hubs are up to the task and they aren't answering anybody's questions. The facts to date are as follows:

- all failures with a documented cause by their owner to date have been due to one of two reasons; (i) over torquing (ii) incorrectly torqued leading to wear of the hub and failure. This accounts for less than 50% of cases posted...

- all remaining failures have been posted but no further info has subsequently been shared by the owner leading to speculation each time about the cause thus it is not determinable... Basically useless info as owners have failed to share the facts or findings by Porsche or an independant body surrounding the failure of their hubs...

- there are guys on this forum whom have executed wheel changes probably in the hundreds without a failure whilst following the procedure stipulated by Porsche that arguably dismisses Bpracing's view on the CLs and their inability to be used for competitive track use. Their failure to warrant work on CLs could be just as suggestive that they aren't 100% confident they can get it right. Alternatively, they don't want to take responsibility for a system that may have a flaw when the manufacturer won't step up with a clear and concise answer... Either way, they expressed THEIR opinion as a shop and are entitled to it...

- details or guidelines outlining when these hubs timeout are required but not available as Porsche has not stepped up with specific direction on this important issue.... More info required...

I'm afraid that beyond these few points, there a few other facts that you will be able to extract online...

Cheers

Chris
What he said. ^^^^^
Old 10-27-2012, 08:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
Im that idiot, and so is your friend Randy. I call complete bull**** on your 12 min wheel change. Come to think of it, Ive never seen you carry a tool ever at the track.

CL's are absolutely ridiculous. BUT, not dangerous. If done right, they are as safe as lugs. Its just the procedure that is dangerous. Larger margin for error than 5 lug.
I carry tools every weekend at the track, but I'm quick about it.

You should know better..

Sounds like a bet. Eddie holds the cash..
I do talk a lot when I'm drunk, I will try to keep it down around you, I should know you are sensitive.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Sorry but I'm with Dawg on this one. Never seen TrakCar with a torque wrench in his hand and when we were at Road America 2 years ago i was the one holding the brakes while Randy changed wheels.

I have run Studs on all my cars, M3 & GT3, for 7 years, would have been longer but Boats don't do studs, and never cross threaded one, I always hand start them, and also never broken one or had any come loose.

Studs are for Studs and CL's are for Ballers

Peter
I'm clumsy and cross thread everything. I hate work so much that I want to get it over with ASAP.. You snooze you miss it. CL FTW

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Randy told us to change in the grass :-) no pavement at rr and they seem to frown on working in the roadways.
Lots of people frown on lots of stuff. I've done it on pavement there, no problem.

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
let's see the the video tape !! 12 minutes !!
Watch Trakcar nation..

Originally Posted by mdrums
12 minutes....LOL...Ive seen how you move.

I do CL's by myself with the truck brake pedal depressor. If I dont change bake pads the brakes grab fine and I don't have to start the car.
Think Kungfu Panda.

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Back to the subject. No one should rush when doing CL's
I can't help myself. Rushing for next session or next beer.
Not both
Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek

amen
I'm buying Greek bonds

Quick Reply: Center lock wheels on my 997.2 GT3