Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dyno Day Results - 3.8RS - 4.0RS both stock and RPW Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie, so now you should send me the M&M and I'll send the steel back so I can try and keep up
Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Thanks Eddie! My wife is very impressed with your FB post. She asks,... "so how much???"

I will give its power back. That's a substantial difference. Looking forward to the videos.

How is the sound on MM vs. center bypass vs. stock?
In my humble drunk opinion the sound of the Sharky is unbeatable and you can have the option of the sport button loud/ less loud.
Unfortunately we haver oven weight and HP disadvantage.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Eddie, so now you should send me the M&M and I'll send the steel back so I can try and keep up

You have no choice if you want to be platinum cup

The car sound so nice on the way home..
Loud, but no drone. I consider OEM undrivable. M&M sounds nice less or no drone, even less than in 3.8 more power, pretty good value for the money.

Kinda weird that Porsche does not deliver the car like this OEM.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:45 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
Nice job, cool stuff. You have been telling me about the M&M product, but now you got my attention!
Jesus Christ!
I'm tired of repeating myself on this topic.
I am done here.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 10-21-2012, 02:55 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

If Sharky has better sounds, that's good for me. Loved it on my 7.2 GT3 and decided to go this route again. I'll give Eddie a call when (or if) I get closer to DE Cup average times.

Rad, how much time will I gain at Sebring with the hp increase of MM?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly like the sharky sound, but it becomes not deep and dark enough at some point.
I'm suspicious as I don't like drone, but I can live with my car without cats, as the sound is just intoxicating !
Old 10-21-2012, 02:59 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Let's do it !
Old 10-21-2012, 03:08 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by cfjan
Just want to clarify that I wasn't doubting the results. I think it was a good test (with great results)! Was just curious about which part is providing the gain. Seems like there's 2 "portion" of the exhausts that are being changed out. The side mufflers and the center muffler.

Stock setup, obviously, most restrictive, with both side muffler and center muffler.

It looks like your base line is OEM side mufflers + center bypass.

Then you put in the setup that delete the side mufflers and add back a MM center muffler.

So I was just curious what would happen if you do the other combinations and if you guys have considered those, that's all.. (side muffler delete + OEM center muffler, side muffler delete + center bypass (I guess this would be basically open pipe, like the Sharky "Track" setup))
Please don't get me wrong. It wasn't my intention to go there. I just asked, because we had 3 different set ups going on.

Sharky and stock are basically the same, no loss no gain.

Actually the complete exhaust is being changed, just headers and cats are left alone on the 3.8 and Peter's 4.0
My own car that I also listed have complete system. Full catless headers and exhaust with side muffler delete.
The gains are significant enough to me.

My RPW system that is made by m&m is a system. It's a exhaust that was build to work without the side mufflers.
I have just the link pipes that are for people just looking to drop weight and heat, for little money, but are not looking for more power.

I personally never tested that set up and not interested, as in my car it will be extremely loud for a street car. Specially running no cats like I do.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Great report Eddie! I wish I could have gotten my wanna be aero beetle up on this dyno. You know of any dyno's around that would work for me?

I'm curious if my M&M exhaust is helping or hurting because it merges the flow with an x-pipe in the rear and I've heard pro and con debates on this...depends on the manufacture.
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Great report Eddie! I wish I could have gotten my wanna be aero beetle up on this dyno. You know of any dyno's around that would work for me?

I'm curious if my M&M exhaust is helping or hurting because it merges the flow with an x-pipe in the rear and I've heard pro and con debates on this...depends on the manufacture.
Mike, the x pipe usually gives more top end power where the seperate pipes give more torque.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
How does the sound volume compare between the 2 setups? (stock side muffler + center bypass) vs. (side muffler remove + MM center muffler)?

How much power gain is from the MM setup, though? (Can you get side muffler delete pipe and use the OEM center muffler, for example)
CJ

Just do what I did on my 6GT3 when my cats melted. I went with a used GT3RS header/cat, steel RS center muffler, and center exit cup bumper. Car sounds much better and not to loud, 95db at Roebling at 50' under full throttle in 4th gear. Now for thd good part since tha change from stock I am 4mph faster into turn 17 at Sebring 142mph on TrakMate. I have not dynod the car yet to see what it actually makes but it sure pulls harder. Loosing the heavy side cans didn't hurt either.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:49 PM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Always glad to entertain some of the fastest Porsches and Drivers in South Florida and some of the nicest people.. Glad to see the products worked beyond what you expected!!! See you guys Nov. 4th @ Sebring!!!

Mike
Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

474 whp? That's some giddy up right there!!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 PM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mdrums

One way to find out.. Dyno 1 system vs the other.. There are too many theories that are proven false time after time on the dyno back to back.. While one style may produce more Tq you need to see where in the power band it produces more TQ.. Is it in a spot you dont even visit on the track?? or is it a street car where you use it for passing power etc.. Dyno back to back same day, same dyno is the only way to know.. Im sure Eddie can accommodate you Mike when you are ready..

Long time no talk hope all is well..
Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wanna911
474 whp? That's some giddy up right there!!!!

I would say so.. Its only about 25hp shy of what my Gt2 makes on 1 bar..

Amazing what innovations take place in 10 years time..
Old 10-21-2012, 01:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Mike thanks for hosting. I hope we did not leave too many empty beer bottles laying around

Sound:
Erik drove the Stephen's 3.8RS to AWD with MM and back with Sharky (Hour each way a lot of time stuck in traffic jams and traffic lights). He can probably describe the difference better. Erik?

I think sound quality is similar, like Eduardo says the MM is a bit darker and both get louder up top where you'd say it is pretty loud for a street car. I would say just as loud in dB.
Maybe the Sharky noise is more like trumpet if that makes any sense, to me it sounds great and you have to option to go through the side muffler with the push of a button and it quiets down a lot.

I'll try to go drive both today, you know for evaluation... ;-)

I can't stand the artificial loud / quiet of the sport button so when I had the Sharky I unplugged the side mufflers permamently and at that point why not take the weight reduction and as we just found out HP?

Quick Reply: Dyno Day Results - 3.8RS - 4.0RS both stock and RPW Exhaust