Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Window issues with my RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Window issues with my RS

Before anyone tells me to search, I have already searched here, Renntech and 6speedonline. Lots of hits come up, but none of them have the same exact issues I am having.

I'll keep searching using different terms, but for now I figured I'd see if anyone out there has had this issue or can point me in the right direction to fixing it.

When opening the driver door the window lowers a few mm when you pull the inside OR outside handle (this is normal) but as soon as you let go of either handle (with the door open) it rasies back up again.(NOT normal)
One touch up/down works as it should

Thanks for any/all help!

Last edited by Jenner; 10-15-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

My passenger window only does one touch up if it is partially up also. II assumed this was normal but unlike some here have not had multple GT3's to compare with. No issues with driver's side.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

That's normal. I'm pretty sure it's outlined in the manual.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

it all sounds normal unless: on driver's side, do you mean that when you let go of either handle after opening the door the window goes back up? then no, that's not normal. it should stay slightly down until door is fully closed. but if you mean it simply goes down and up while door is shut when you are fiddling with handles, then that's normal.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

The drivers side is most certainly NOT normal.

The window is up when I shut the door and it should be down. When I shut the door from inside or outside of the car the window catches on the rubber trim and leaves a gap that causes wind noise/rain entry while driving(unless I lower and raise window each time which is what I have to remember to do) or could allow rain in the car if I parked it outside and forgot to lower and raise the window after closing the door to properly seal it.

As for the passenger side I'll double check the manual but I don't recall that behavior on my previous 2008 Turbo.

Just looked at a PDF of the owners manual for my 997 Turbo. It was a cab which is why the one touch worked on the passenger side.

Last edited by Jenner; 10-15-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 AM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

my passenger side window on my 2006 C4S works the same as yours, so i believe it is normal behavior. As mentioned, your driver side window should remain partially down until the door closes.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bmwfan328
As mentioned, your driver side window should remain partially down until the door closes.
It does not remain partially down which is why I posted in the first place.

Perhaps I am not communicating this effectively via text.

If you open my driver side door via the inside or outside handle and release either handle and the driver side window returns to full height when it should stay down a few mm.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry; I missed the part about your driver's side door. You're correct-- the windows should act the same on the driver's and passenger's side in regards to dropping a bit when the door releases are opened, so what you're experiencing sounds like a fault.

The passenger side activity you describe is what both my RS and old C2S do/did.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Laertes
so what you're experiencing sounds like a fault.
I already know it is a fault. Trying to determine how to fix it...
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue with my 06 C2S, and there is a sensor/switch in the door handle that controls the windows slight drop and rise. The only way to fix it is to replace the sensor/switch.

IIRC it was only a few hundred dollars for the part + some labour.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
It does not remain partially down which is why I posted in the first place.

Perhaps I am not communicating this effectively via text.
You communicated perfectly fine, maybe i did not. What i was trying to say is your passenger side seems to be working normal judging by the operation of my C4S, as well as what others have posted. However, your driver side SHOULD stay down until door closes, but IS NOT. not normal. get your driver side checked out.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 PM
owng
Advanced

Did you have windows tinted? Sometimes tinters forget to undo switch in door lock area that keeps window up. Check the manual on how to undo switch or just go to dealer. It should be an easy fix.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

No tint.

Went to my dealer today, great bunch of guys, they tried to fix it for free but no dice. Part ordered will go back to have it fixed next week.

I'll post what part it was when I know since the symptom was not the normal window won't raise a few mm or lower like all the other posts.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:49 AM
mlv_250
Instructor

Jenner,
I have the exact same problem with my driver door... the window lowers a few mm but then immediately rises up before I can close the door thus causing the glass window pane to catch/hit the rubber weather strip. This problem only occurs when I am using the exterior door handle.

The interior door handle works fine without any issues... the window remains lowered a few mm and stays in this position until the door is closed.

I THINK there could be a problem with the micro switch attached to the exterior door handle.

Did the P-dealer provide more details about the problem and what the fix was? Did you find out which part was replaced by the P-dealer? Is there really an "undo switch"?

Thanks.
Matt
Old 12-29-2013, 10:56 AM
mlv_250
Instructor

Jenner,
I have the exact same problem with my driver door... the window lowers a few mm but then immediately rises up before I can close the door thus causing the glass window pane to catch/hit the rubber weather strip. This problem only occurs when I am using the exterior door handle.

The interior door handle works fine without any issues... the window remains lowered a few mm and stays in this position until the door is closed.

I THINK there could be a problem with the micro switch attached to the exterior door handle.

Did the P-dealer provide more details about the problem and what the fix was? Did you find out which part was replaced by the P-dealer? Is there really an "undo switch"?

Thanks.
Matt

Quick Reply: Window issues with my RS