Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dont laugh, but..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012 | 01:49 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Some Chinese manufacturers build helmets that look like helmets, and seats that look like seats.

No certifications, questionable materials, everything should be fine, until an incident requires these seats and helmets to do the work, with unexpected consequences.

The knock-off of a Porsche proprietary design is a different matter, and one that pisses me off badly. The only possible stop to this abuse, is to Tax anything that comes from China high enough (1,000% or more) when the imported goods are violating copyright laws, or when they are manufactured in places where freedom, human, animal, and environment rights are not respected.
Old 10-12-2012 | 02:10 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

NJ-GT, I make it a practice to search and buy non Chinese. I hear you though!
Old 10-12-2012 | 02:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is cheap stuff made other places than China. And has Porsche stickers on it with a 500% markup. Just because you paid more for it, doesn't mean it's high quality. Plenty of brand names sourcing parts and materials from China with flashy colors and names exuding class, and their still just cheap knockoffs. Look around, some of the high class names you see aren't high class at all.
Old 10-12-2012 | 04:27 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You would be better off with the Recaro pole position, very well priced and FIA approved. I have them in my RS, love them. And they were $3k installed for 2 parts and labor.
Old 10-12-2012 | 04:44 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
NJ-GT, I make it a practice to search and buy non Chinese. I hear you though!
As do I, however I find that harder to do.

I think that a big part of the problem is that the North American businesses and buyers have allowed the Chinese Manufacturing industry to get more advanced then what similar businesses in North America are. I have a manufacturing business, and have to compete with off shore products, and the only advantage that I have right now is timing, and slightly better quality.

IMO, the North American governments need to do as they do in Europe, and put a VAT (Value Added Tax) on all things produced outside of the NAFTA, regardless of where it comes from. We run the risk of becoming a service based economy, and we will all be working at Starbucks or Pizza hut. A balanced economy needs manufacturing, as well as Service and resource based economies. I doubt that this will happen, as I doubt there isn't a politician out there willing to stand up and make a bold move like this.
Old 10-12-2012 | 06:11 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
^ Stylish death traps..
This.
Old 10-12-2012 | 10:37 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NorthVan
We run the risk of becoming a service based economy, and we will all be working at Starbucks or Pizza hut.
same thing is happening here. we are becoming a nation of consumers.
Old 10-13-2012 | 12:08 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
same thing is happening here. we are becoming a nation of consumers.
All developed countries have, countries like China have 1% upper class and 99% slaves.
Old 10-13-2012 | 01:28 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It will level out, Spain then eastern Europe were the cheap manufacturing sectors along with Korea, Thailand etc, but these are being westernised and labour rates and costs have gone up as well as quality and acceptance. It has now moved to China. China now does produce quality items but there are rouges and knock-offs (as there is in the ROW including the USA) but this will change for the better given time as well as acceptance.

Look at Japan, after WW2 no one had any appetite for their products, now we live and breath them!

Jay

Quick Reply: Dont laugh, but..