Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 driving around San Francisco today

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

paddle shift is great for daily use and also faster on the track for D.E cup

Stick is great fun for weekend drives however.... not sure how much fun the paddles will be for weekend pleasure cruising?

Last edited by tcsracing1; 10-05-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
Mike, I hear ya - I think I just need to get used to it. It's a GREAT transmission, Porsche definitely did it right. I'm just a stubborn old schooler
You are a stubborn young schooler! I'm a stubborn old schooler! And I hope to be buried with a Gt3 gear shift lever in my hand:banghead please remind P-nut of that should I forget!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
please remind P-nut of that should I forget!
Don't worry, I got your back on that should Dan forget...

Tell me, does your GT3 have to be attached to said gearshift lever? Be a pity to see a good car buried...

pete
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blake
Only if I want to "win" my DE!

Heel & Toe takes time to learn, and is truly an art form... Sad to see it go away.

Comparably, I'm an avid skier and have not been a fan of the shape ski era. After a decade of allowing shape skis at the FIS level, the standards bodies have recently had a change of heart and are going back to "old school" straight skis. Full circle...

I'd love the PDK for the streets of SF, but give me a manual on the track please...

My $0.02,
-B
Heal & Toe, straight skis, how old are you anyhow? (just kidding)

FIS has indeed decided to reduce sidecut on competition skis (for so called safety purposes on knees etc), thus performance of the skis will decrease (sadly) thereby requiring more "driver" input for them to perform. Kinda like the old skinny skis of the 80s-90s but they will still will have wayy more sidecut/shape then what we saw pre-2000.

Imagine the FIA no longer allowing sequential transmissions..... Bringing back the manuals as an attempt to keep speeds down...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Don't worry, I got your back on that should Dan forget...

Tell me, does your GT3 have to be attached to said gearshift lever? Be a pity to see a good car buried...

pete
No any old shift lever will do, as long as its out of a GT3 hopefully someone will be enjoying the 3.9 long after I'm gone! Come to think of it I'm going to be cremated, so maybe tell him to just throw a shift **** in the ashes before spreading them along the loop! thanks Pete
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now, if it's about lap times or autocross times, I'll take PDK — because its performance advantage outweighs its weight penalty, no matter which manual you choose to stack it up against. On-power shifts, added concentration on other aspects of driving, etc. all add up to an unfair advantage that any competitor would be crazy not to want...

pete
Depends on skill level and car modifications. Of course you can overcome the weight penalty with more hp. But all other things equal a skilled driver will put a manual with a lightweight clutch/flywheel on top of a PDK with a 120 - 130 lbs weight penalty.

Of course since Porsche has based the manual transmission on the PDK and it's now super heavy, that goes out of the window. The writing is on the wall. Porsche is going to force PDK on us.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanna911
...all other things equal a skilled driver will put a manual with a lightweight clutch/flywheel on top of a PDK with a 120 - 130 lbs weight penalty.
Euhh... I don't think so.

The Cup car sequential gear box is such an advantage compared to the 996 Cup with old school tranny. I can't see a paddle shifting race car at disadvantage to a manual. Don't get me wrong: I love manual shifting but this has nothing to do with lap times.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have yet to see picture of a manual........... Sigh.

Porsche better not dare ruin this car by not offering a manual.
It would seem VW's influence is pulling the strings these days encouraging Porsche to cater to all the commuters who want an automatic transmission to navigate the stoplights between Starbucks and the office.

I fear that Porsche no longer sees 'drivers', just commuters with deep pockets who wish to be seen in a "Porsche". Sales, sales, sales!!!!!

You see the same phenomena with would-be 'hardy ourdoorsmen' driving around the inner city in a Jeep. Seeking an image at whatever level their budgets will allow.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Depends on skill level and car modifications. Of course you can overcome the weight penalty with more hp. But all other things equal a skilled driver will put a manual with a lightweight clutch/flywheel on top of a PDK with a 120 - 130 lbs weight penalty.

Of course since Porsche has based the manual transmission on the PDK and it's now super heavy, that goes out of the window. The writing is on the wall. Porsche is going to force PDK on us.
The weight diff between the original PDK box and the 6 speed was 66 pounds. Given your claim of a 120-130 lb penalty, would a lightweight clutch and flywheel really save 45-55 pounds, not to mention the issues with street use? Besides the latest 991 PDK box is several pounds lighter than the original and I've read that the new one destined for the GT3 will be lighter still with even faster shifting. The weight penalty is getting smaller and the performance advantage bigger.....
Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM
mikeoR32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
It would seem VW's influence is pulling the strings these days encouraging Porsche to cater to all the commuters who want an automatic transmission to navigate the stoplights between Starbucks and the office.

I fear that Porsche no longer sees 'drivers', just commuters with deep pockets who wish to be seen in a "Porsche". Sales, sales, sales!!!!!

You see the same phenomena with would-be 'hardy ourdoorsmen' driving around the inner city in a Jeep. Seeking an image at whatever level their budgets will allow.
Hmmm...not sure I agree with that entirely. VW brought the latest Golf R over to NA only in a manual specifically due to all the R32 owners complaining about the 2008 MkV R32 being DSG only (after the 2004 R32 was only available in a MT). That's not to say that VW will jump every time someone complains, but in this one case they listened specifically to the concerns of a group of passionate owners, and I would say this group is equally (if not more) passionate.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
paddle shift is great for daily use and also faster on the track for D.E cup

Stick is great fun for weekend drives however.... not sure how much fun the paddles will be for weekend pleasure cruising?
Well, I enjoy the hell out of my car on weekend pleasure drives, but maybe I'm easily pleased....
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Well, I enjoy the hell out of my car on weekend pleasure drives, but maybe I'm easily pleased....

im with you, my next porsche will be pdk
Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

After seeing the 991S Ring-video that "daddyscar" posted in the other thread, I'm sold! On the PDK that is. It even seemed to have the autoblipper which sounds cool. I enjoy a manual and own 5 "stick-car" (Audi's, VW's and Porsche's) which are a lot of fun on the open road with little traffic to worry about. I even loved it on the German Autobahn rowing the rented 4CS trough all the gears up to nearly 300km/h. BUT, when it comes to the track (and the drive home on a clogged, accident-ridden freeway), I wish I had a "well-working" automatic in my GT3. Maybe the rest of the country with larger tracks and more shifting required would benefit/enjoy a manual but on our tight California tracks, most of the times one doesn't get out of 3rd gear. Take Sears Point as an example, I shift twice, maybe three times at most (into 2nd at T11 and into 4th at T12 and then back to 3rd. In addition, in our DE (aka street) cars, the shifter is way low and really not in the right place. Since I only drive the GT3 to/from/on the track, I would gladly take "quick-firing" paddles like the ones in a Ferrari. Unfortunately, up to now (and maybe still?), the Porsche PDK was/is not smart enough to up/downshift properly. When I testdrove a 991S earlier this year, it was either so lame when the PDK up-shifted from 3rd into 7th or so violent when it down-shifted from 7th into 3rd. The PDK in that Ring-video, however, sounded just perfect. So maybe, they upgraded it, giving it more "brain" or is the Ring with its fairly high speeds compared to most NA tracks just right for the PDK?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry, got the OP for the "991S Ring-Video" mixed up. It was "Wanna911" who I thank for posting this. Have watched it a dozen times so far :-)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 953 Posts

+1 on the first point, and an enjoyable art form that PDK cannot replace for those who appreciate/enjoy it. For those who don't, PDK is a no-brainer.

One of the best parts of living in SF for ten years was learning to adapt heel-toe technique to use on those steep uphill starts, and eventually all uphill starts. You've got the brake with the left side of your right foot, and roll over the gas with the right side of your right foot as you feel the clutch take up. Result: seamless getaways without having to use a hand on the e-brake and with NO excessive clutch slip. Even in a C-GT. Made driving around SF a cinch and a little more fun in a manual, and it still does whenever I am in the city.

I respect PDK, but two years with it in a Cayman S only served to convince me that I am a manual guy when it comes to road cars, through and through. The day Porsche stops building the models I like with a manual transmission is the day my attention will focus on its previous offerings. Feel free to call me a luddite, but I've tried to come over to the new side and don't care for it. For me.

Now, if it's about lap times or autocross times, I'll take PDK — because its performance advantage outweighs its weight penalty, no matter which manual you choose to stack it up against. On-power shifts, added concentration on other aspects of driving, etc. all add up to an unfair advantage that any competitor would be crazy not to want...

pete
what he said

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 driving around San Francisco today