Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Vibration at 75 mph.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Ok, I'm going to blast through these tires and then get something different. I'll have my tire guy rebalance them tomorrow (roadforce) and report back.

The vibration is quite noticable. It actually moves the wheel left to right and can be seen from a passing car.
Where do you take your car to rebalance. Mine behaves very same and im thinking maybe it isnt a flat spot (i was told it was and seems to be getting better from trackday - around July)

Ok i was leaving one info out. I did hit on pass front wheel when my noob driving went beyond candy cane stripe corner very briefly (going only 60) and heard "thud". But drove fine for the rest of the track day. Steering had really really bad switching and vibration when driving home from the track. For the next couple weeks, i deflated pressure on my P Corsa to 28 and drove around to get all the rubber crap out and trying to round out the rubber.

I took my car to Tom @Lucent and he said everythung was fine w balance and wheel. No damage and he says it was flat spot from hot hot asphalt and leaving my car parked for 45 min+ between runs. Ambient temp on track was 105-109. Not sure how true the logic stands but my steer still vibrates just like how you descried it.

Maybe I can come down since we have the same symptoms.

-David-
Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Dave, where do you live. I am in Arcadia. I have Andrew at Island Tire in Pasadena do all my work. He is impeccable, very knowledgeable and extremely honest with how the wheels balance out.

He's one of the only guys in town that has the Hunter as America's Tire got rid of theirs due to the cost of maintenance. I would never take my car to America's tire anyways. I don't even take my cars to the tire shop. I do the work in my garage and take just the wheels to the shop.

I am off this week and you are welcome to come and compare vibrations. However, being off for the week, I decided to take the car out today and spin those tires in the 109 degree heat. The vibration is no longer there at 75 mph but it is now starting up at around 78 to 80 mph. I think I'm going to jump into the car tomorrow morning and take it through Angelus Crest to see if I can drive the vibration away. If not then I'm stopping at Island on the way home to get the 2 fronts rebalanced.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:17 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Im by WLA. I usually take my car to Tom @ Lucent but his shop is always packed. I have no problem driving down to Pasadena (excuse to drive). I go biking up Angeles Crest from that Shell Gas station. Trying to lose weight =)

Vibration is really annoying I know.. My car has the stupid CL. I am extremely paranoid about someone taking it off. So far Tom has been very good and shows me the spine and threading (last few times he took it off before track day)

You probably know but be careful around Angeles Crest. Cops hide there. Unless you go pass the resting area (the blue/white booth)and keep climbing up.. then not many cops.

Love to join you tomorrow but I got a full schedule this week and off Friday. I am going to check out the tire place. I need my wheels powder coated/scuffs fixed and new tires soon.

-David-
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I'm generally mellow up through the Crest as I know about the po po up there. It's come to a point that they'll pull you over for tint and no front plates just to keep folks from driving through it.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I'm generally mellow up through the Crest as I know about the po po up there. It's come to a point that they'll pull you over for tint and no front plates just to keep folks from driving through it.
Thanks for the tip. I'm in Irvine. Didn't know it was that bad recently. I don't have front plate, windows tinted, with GMG bypass. They will hear me coming. Best to avoid now? What about up to Crystal Lake?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same situation where my car with SS can sit up to 3 weeks. I had MPSC before. I NEVER had any vibration issues with both sets.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I was first to report this - this now seems to be adding up - too many people have now reported this issue.

I had a feeling at the time, it was a guess, but I'm wondering if it is because the front tire has no perfectly center front tread to ride on and that depending on the camber you are running, you are effectively pushing down off center on the edge of a 10mm depth tread block that is 'moving' at certain speeds.

I got my first set - one of the first people on here.
I left the shop and was fine.
Drove on the highway next day and got terrible wobble.
Brought them back in and told them it was terrible.
They put them on their machine and said it was perfectly balanced.
Brought the owner over and everyone started looking - they thought the tire had a flat spot.
The tires were just coming in at the time so they sent them back to michelin.
Took a few days but got new fronts.
They re-installed the new tires balanced them.
Went out again, it was better for sure but still very slightly there.
Drove like this coming up with my theory - it was kind of intermittent.
Was going to do a trackday so went to my regular race shop.
Asked them to look at the balance.
They had just got in a brand new very expensive mounting machine.
They took each wheel off and said some of the wheels were horrifically off being balanced.
They rebalanced and everything was much better.
But, I have never been 100% convinced they are perfect.
They do not run as true as the OE tires with less tread depth and a naturally centered tread block that the front tire sits on.
I did a trackday on them and for the most part 98% they are totally fine - there is just something that isn't 100% true.

Last edited by 997gt3north; 10-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Good to know. I'm off into the crest. I'll report back in a few hours.

GT3north, my sentiments exactly. Some freeways they are perfect and others they move the steering wheel left to right. I'll take a video now and post it up when I return from in an hour or so.

STAY TUNED!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Just got back from my drive and the vibration is still there. It's 109 here today, ouch, and I gave the tires, what I think is enough time to run out the flat spots.

So I took off my wheels, tossed them in the car and had them rebalanced. I was told that one wheel was at 50. don't really know what that means. 50 grams? Wheels are back on the car and the vibration is about 90% gone. I'm going to switch the right front with the left front and see what happens to see if I can eliminate the remaining 10%..
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Anyone leave their car on Flat stopper ramp? even at the track, some suggests to leave the car parked on those flat stoppers between the runs while cooling off the car.

Im thinking about parking my car on one of those. Yes i need new tires soon but Im just paranoid reading that I am not the only one going through this issue. I have a 977.2. Any regular non GT cars have this issue?

Quick Reply: Vibration at 75 mph.