Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need caliper piston ceramic pucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need caliper piston ceramic pucks

Anybody got any to sell? I need one but will buys spares if available.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I just Pmed you.

tks.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
Anybody got any to sell? I need one but will buys spares if available.
Terry, did you lose one or did it break?
I find it strange that I just gave one track side to Grady because he had one break?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

I assume that it broke and disintegrated. I know it was there when I did the rotors (or at least I think it was - self doubt creeps in - maybe it fell out and I didn't notice? Rolled under the tool chest?) It is unlikely that I wouldn't have noticed that it was missing when I buttoned up the calipers.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:17 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
I assume that it broke and disintegrated. I know it was there when I did the rotors (or at least I think it was - self doubt creeps in - maybe it fell out and I didn't notice? Rolled under the tool chest?) It is unlikely that I wouldn't have noticed that it was missing when I buttoned up the calipers.
I can't remember exactly what Clarke saw when he figured out something was wrong with Grady's car, but I remember they were switching tires left to right and then Clarke saw something, I believe the pad was broken into 2 pieces and half the puck was intact but broken and the other half was in pieces but still there mostly.

If your's was entirely gone, I'm guessing your rubber seals were gone (obviously) but maybe it fell out when you did your last pad change.

Call Orbit and get them to send 20 of their retaining spring things - it will prevent it from happening again and you no longer have to rely on the crumbling rubber seals to hold them in. I got mine from Orbit along with a replacement puck. You need to tell them which piston it is from as there are small and big pucks. I think the front and back front caliper pistons use small pucks and the middle uses the big puck - but ask an expert.

paul
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Some random shop lost a piston puck of mine. When I inquired to get a new one, I was told I had to get a "caliper kit" which is a pretty penny. Anyone confirm this?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought mine from TRG and they came with the pistons as well. http://http://store.trgparts.com/rep...rts-p9040.aspx
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I can't remember exactly what Clarke saw when he figured out something was wrong with Grady's car, but I remember they were switching tires left to right and then Clarke saw something, I believe the pad was broken into 2 pieces and half the puck was intact but broken and the other half was in pieces but still there mostly.

If your's was entirely gone, I'm guessing your rubber seals were gone (obviously) but maybe it fell out when you did your last pad change.

Call Orbit and get them to send 20 of their retaining spring things - it will prevent it from happening again and you no longer have to rely on the crumbling rubber seals to hold them in. I got mine from Orbit along with a replacement puck. You need to tell them which piston it is from as there are small and big pucks. I think the front and back front caliper pistons use small pucks and the middle uses the big puck - but ask an expert.

paul
when the rubber dries out and fails, the pucks get loose. Then when the pads get worn the pucks rattle around and tend to break apart.

+1 - call Orbit, get replacement puck and kit for retaining clips for all pucks.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

By the way Paul I wanted to thank you once again for letting me have your ceramic puck at WGI and Clarke for helping me repair the caliper! Retaining clips along with caliper studs and nuts will be installed before the next event.

Quick Reply: Need caliper piston ceramic pucks