Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Clicking noise on rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:35 PM
ttdan
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Clicking noise on rear brakes

Installed PF06 on the rear of my gen 2 RS this weekend, still with standard steel discs.

I can hear a clicking sound when combining on and off the brakes pedal at low speeds, sounds like the pad is moving slightly in the caliper, similar to the knockoff effect you sometimes get on the the front? This is just on the road, car won't be on track until the end of the month.

I noticed the original worn pads coming out had been chamfered on the leading and trailing edge and am certain this was from the factory as the car had only 1k miles on when I got it. Not sure if this is relevant. Why would they do that?

The PF pads have been put in with no shims as there were none on the original factory pads except for the thin ish material that is stuck on the back of the factory pad. Last time I replaced the rear pads on my previous gen 1 I used a Porsche "track" pad that had a thin backing "shim" and it was totally quiet.

Is this normal/acceptable or do I need some kind of shim in there to stop the small movements that seem to be there at low speeds. The noise is a little annoying.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise on rear brakes