Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

new video of Ruf RGT-8 (flat-6 purists beware!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

does anybody has an idea of how much cost that engine... I don't even want to think about the car modded by RUf, but let's just talk engine price. I bet it is astronomical for a short production like that. 100k ? more ?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Estonia said $US 300k for the RT35 (the RT12 replacement), and about $260k ish for the RGT8. the latter target deliveries end of this year.

when i was at the factory and they were showing me around (was lucky enough to be in their dyno room during very early testing of the flat-plane crank 8-cyl engine,) it was suggested-- not a black and white statement though-- that they were looking to make the engine available as a crate engine for other applications.

this makes sense to me, given the massive investment required to build a high performance motor from a clean sheet of paper. when you consider the ultra low volumes of Ruf cars, there's no way they could recoup the investment.

so selling crate engines would have to be part of the business plan IMO.

goes without saying that there will be a turbo version of this motor down the line. they told me "800-900hp" was the target, though this was back in 2010, so i'm pretty sure no actual work had actually been done at that time to validate the figure.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

there are two reasons Ruf will always have limited sales in the US
  1. Ruf builds cars to order. Few Americans have the patience to wait 9-18 months for a car when they can get something else immediately.
  2. Ruf's cars are expensive compared to Porsches. Most buyers can't see the value in paying twice as much for a car that looks the same.

R+C
Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

you get deviated stitching though..
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
  1. Ruf builds cars to order. Few Americans have the patience to wait 9-18 months for a car when they can get something else immediately.
  2. Ruf's cars are expensive compared to Porsches. Most buyers can't see the value in paying twice as much for a car that looks the same.

R+C
I agree 100%. They are like custom suits - they look the same, but feel completely different.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ruf will always be able to keep up with north american demand as long as their US distributor does not actively try to sell anything

As soon as the distributor starts pushing and gaining traction in the marketplace - its no win - Ruf cannot keep up and the Dist. gets upset as their hard work is for nothing
Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
I agree 100%. They are like custom suits - they look the same, but feel completely different.
agree on the custom suits... i don't know about feeling completely different. ultimately the DNA is the same...

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
As soon as the distributor starts pushing and gaining traction in the marketplace - its no win - Ruf cannot keep up and the Dist. gets upset as their hard work is for nothing
this is true. a lot of Ruf's business has historically been with parts such as body kits and power upgrades. however the current generation of stateside tuners offer the same or more power for a lot less money (i won't get into that US vs Europe tuner debate!). so i'm guessing that the market for bolt on upgrades has gotten tougher for Ruf.

and building a Ruf VIN car indeed can currently be done only in Germany, and the waiting time is several months. so there's really no excess capacity to meet a spike in demand.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by hesperus
a lot of Ruf's business has historically been with parts such as body kits and power upgrades.
And, it's not easy to get parts here in the U.S.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Probably one of the best 911s on the planet. I would love to experience one.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

R+C
1. I can wait, waited 23 months for my RS.
2. Can't afford it yet, but would if I could. $250K ish seems very reasonable to me compared to the alternatives.

Local support would be my only concern. Big argument for GT3's is that they last on the track and if you need something there are 10 shops and 4 dealers to choose from within an hours' drive.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
1. I can wait, waited 23 months for my RS.
2. Can't afford it yet, but would if I could. $250K ish seems very reasonable to me compared to the alternatives.

Local support would be my only concern. Big argument for GT3's is that they last on the track and if you need something there are 10 shops and 4 dealers to choose from within an hours' drive.
Peter

I think $250 is light, in reality. Any decent Porsche race shop should be able to look after a Ruf, the important thing is to stop them mucking about with it. If you have any doubts, ask Marc Lieb.

If you really can wait, then you may select suspension (including lifter gear) mods, stunning interior finish levels, flip-flop paint (yes, but don't, please), and assorted other features to make it your car. Remember, in Germany most of them will be DD cars.

R+C
Old 09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I agree its light. In my little dream world I'm counting on more Euro fiscal disasters and the Euro going to parity with the Dollar

I think the engine, integrated roll bar, custom everything and resale value are worth it.
Maybe I will win the powerball soon. I would go minimalistic, but unique and lightweight. This would be a good time to buy as the 991 will remain current for a long tiume affecting the resale value.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:06 PM
markus_t19
Advanced

Default RUF visit .. and beer fest

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I agree its light. In my little dream world I'm counting on more Euro fiscal disasters and the Euro going to parity with the Dollar

I think the engine, integrated roll bar, custom everything and resale value are worth it.
Maybe I will win the powerball soon. I would go minimalistic, but unique and lightweight. This would be a good time to buy as the 991 will remain current for a long tiume affecting the resale value.
my friend, can i recommend a visit to RUF to be included in for next trip to Europe - near Mindelheim, only an hour away from your Munich base and an experience you sure will enjoy ... even more so given your European roots (in addition to a Bavarian beer fest of course as stated earlier)
Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markus_t19
my friend, can i recommend a visit to RUF to be included in for next trip to Europe - near Mindelheim, only an hour away from your Munich base and an experience you sure will enjoy ... even more so given your European roots (in addition to a Bavarian beer fest of course as stated earlier)
It's on my list!! I just need to work it out with old ball and chains..
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Rumor has it that in 2013-2014 Porsche will produce a 918 ish variant with a V8 sans the batteries, for McLaren money....

Quick Reply: new video of Ruf RGT-8 (flat-6 purists beware!)